The online racing simulator
What is it with people who wont send setups
I think its screwed up not to send people setups when they ask. Even worse is when you send the setups to some people and not others... whats up with that? I dont get it
Whats so bad about that? Its their decision. You cant demand sets from them.
Maybe they don't want everybody to have the setup they've spent a lot of time on - but they might send them to teammates or friends etc.
The main reason might be - that often those people who are asking for setup from a guy who just made a decent lap time are thinking that they will start driving way better just 'cause of a setup.

So it is a bit pointless and I'm sure they get bored of sending it to everybody.
It's the illusion of having an advantage above others who might not be able to setup their cars as properly as others.
I'm always sharing sets even if they are really good, because there are other sources for good sets, like the setupfield...
I don't think it's fair what's going on, but then again, nobody said that competition is always played fair.

regards
Everything is fair - why do you have to share your setup? Schumacher wasn't telling everyone how his car was set up for race?
It depends how you ask though. If you just go into a server and say "any1 got a FXO set?", noone will probably even bother to send, because you didnt say please etc.

If you said "Anyone got an FXO set please?" usually they will send it to you. If you ask nicely 99.9% of the time they will send you it

But even if they dont, they aint obliged to, its their set, they may have spent many hours perfecting it.
A lot of it is to do with how you ask for the setup.. If you ask for a set in the middle of a race you won't get one.
Also, ''May I please try your set?'' gets a much better response than ''SET PLZ!''.
It seems that in LFS a little politeness goes a long way, which can only be a good thing IMHO..
Some tips on getting people to send setups:
  • Search Inferno first. If you can't find something, then ask!
  • Don't come on a server, and immediately start asking for sets from complete strangers.
  • Ask nicely (i.e. use the word Please)
  • Don't ask when they are racing; wait 'til the race is over!
  • Ask someone directly, not "It would be really cool if someone would send me a set." Don't hint around.....get to the asking!
  • When someone says "Sorry, team set.", say, "OK, thanks anyway!" Someone may see that you are being respectful and will send thier set when you ask them!
  • .......Wait for it......here it comes......DO NOT ASK FOR A SET FROM SOMEONE YOU'VE JUST WRECKED!!!
One of the things I hate is people coming in and asking for a setup for a combo that is already on Inferno. There is a link at the top of the Setupfield to download all the sets. Use it. If you can't drive the Inferno sets, learn how to modify them to suit your own driving style. Usually the required changes are pretty small.
#11 - Gunn
If I'm driving and someone asks me for a setup I will usually ignore them or block messages. Catch me while I'm in the garage though, and you will have a good chance of getting your wish. If you ask for a setup please consider your timing, the racer might be concentrating on the race and could be distracted by your request. Some people might seem like they are being rude but really they are just trying to concentrate on their race. Be courteous and ask at the right moment. Most racers are quite accommodating if approached properly.
maybe important league race coming up?
too much effort put, into developing the set?
Respect for good setupmakers way too low anyway.

There are a lot of points like the above, who are reasonable and imho OK and everyone should respect a "no" as an answer to a setupquestion.
#13 - Gunn
Quote from Vykos69 :maybe important league race coming up?
too much effort put, into developing the set?
Respect for good setupmakers way too low anyway.

There are a lot of points like the above, who are reasonable and imho OK and everyone should respect a "no" as an answer to a setupquestion.

Yeah that's a good point. A good setup can take some work and is not invaluable to the creator. "No" is acceptable without even giving a reason.
Like it was said, never ask for a set during the race. They are busy racing. Be curtious and wait for the end of the race.....

<Name> - Mind if I try out your set please?
All - Anyone mind sending me a set for xxx (insert car)
<Name> - Nice time, can I try out the set please?

During race: I need set!
Set please
Set?
send set

You can clearly see the difference in the statements above, the first three asking in a respectful way. More than likely, the first three would result in receiving a setup from someone of this generous community.

Note that if someone doesn't send you a set right away, perhaps it is because they didn't notice you ask because of all the other chat. Don't get irate about it if it appears someone ignores your request.

Some reasons that someone may not send a set is, of course, you didn't ask politely. But also, as someone else stated, it is a team set. Or it could be that they just received it from someone as well. If I had received a set from someone on the server earlier, I will state that and allow that person to send it as they might not just give it out to just anyone. Also remember, "Send set!" is a demand and not only would one not wish to send it to someone like that, but if it is just general chat to everyone, you did not tell what car you are using, thus no one would know if it would help you anyways.
Banshee and Vykos covered it pretty well. The only times I personally won't share are if there's a league race upcoming and other people from the league are around or if the set isn't mine and I'm unsure on the sharing stance of the person I got it from.
I usually tells people that I allways using inferno`s set when racing, but if they want it I share it. I also share the setups I have created myself if people ask, if I`m busy in a race and canot send them to it, I say something easy to write as "after race" or something :P

Personally I canot understand why people would not share their setup, I understand that it`s something they have used a lot of time on, but I like to think that all should have the same equality and opperntunities in a race
Not like they are denied access to setup tuning and the internet for tutorials, but I generally like to share setups.

The main exception within my team is that if the setup is for an event Nobody outside the team gets it till after the event.
Quote from Moonchild LT :The main reason might be - that often those people who are asking for setup from a guy who just made a decent lap time are thinking that they will start driving way better just 'cause of a setup.

So it is a bit pointless and I'm sure they get bored of sending it to everybody.

Disagree. Was racing FOX on SO1R recently, and I knew from prior experience there that none of the setups in my collection were any good for that track. A couple of races at first proved this. So I asked for a set from the quickest guy in the previous race, and suddenly I had grip in the slower corners and could get the throttle open sooner. I got way better entirely because of the setup. If I had the knowledge, and most of all, the time, I'd gladly make and tweak my own but with the sheer number of track & car combinations it's not really an option. Which makes me extremely grateful to those able to develop such a good set and those willing to share it.

I fully appreciate/respect it when people decline to share a setup, for whatever reason. But it's sad when you join a server, ask for a setup inbetween races, and just get ignored with silence rather than anyone saying "no, sorry". Not sure what leads to such a mentality, but some servers seem worse for it than others.

I rarely check setupfield myself though, because it's usually for hotlapping setups. Some of which have distinctly un-race-like handling characteristics! Or maybe it's just my ham-fisted driving. Either way, I'd always prefer (if possible) to get a set that is shown to be capable of doing well in races, than a hotlap set from setupfield.
im one of the most polite people in all the world of LFS and it was after a race. he sent it to someone else; i think he just wanted to tighten my jaw... i shoulda told him to get a piece of fat and slide off
Asking for sets is overrated, you're never going to get anywhere if you change to a completely new set every race. What I tend to do is pick a set I like and just modify it for each track and different lengths of races, that way you've got the same basic set each time and you know what the car will be like. If you have consistency then you can develop your lines and driving technique, which is where the bulk of the time comes from if you can't get within a second of someone with Race_S then the set probably isn't the limiting factor for you
I think the only justifiable reasons for not sending your setup are,

if your in a league and have made your own setup and do not wish your competitors to get their hands on it

or if the person asking has done something to offend you during the race, or is a known trouble maker.

Other than those few examples, I always try to send my setup and even help people out learning the track, even if they sometimes ignore it.
nothing beats the good old "DUK SS" if that doesnt work the screen looks like this within seconds...
DUK SS
DUK SS
DUK SS
DUK SS

thats before ive even pressed n to send them the set :P

i usually send all my sets to people anyway, unless theyve just wrecked me of course.. or its a league setup...
besides my sets change almost each time i drive, so it doesnt matter
And you have to agree, you kind of feel good inside yourself when you see the newbies lighten up and beeing very happy, because they belive they can be the fastest on track with that set

I at least think I have done something good when I see the spaming ")))" faces after "sent setup"
Quote from The Very End :And you have to agree, you kind of feel good inside yourself when you see the newbies lighten up and beeing very happy, because they belive they can be the fastest on track with that set

I at least think I have done something good when I see the spaming ")))" faces after "sent setup"

It's no fun when they think they're fastest in the track after getting a setup like you mentioned!

After that happens stuff like
''you f..... idiot , watch where you're going and brake on time.. f.... noobs''
Yes there is some satisfaction in that, however I find they often ask the person who won the race, not the person with the best lap time, which I find quite odd.
This thread is closed

What is it with people who wont send setups
(77 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG