The online racing simulator
Problem with graphics freezing
(141 posts, started )
I'd run drivercleaner before installing that new driver, especially as your old one sounds quite corrupt. See Post 18 on Page 1 of this thread. Let me know if you find the BIOS version. GL!
I am always looking into this thread in the hope of good news . So best wishes .

(( info: the 56.xx driver still working well with my gef4, I will post if there is something wrong with it, but it seems that it was the solution in my case ))

ATI users with this problem, have you tried an older catalist? Because Radeon 9600 or 9550 is about the same "old" card as my gef4, maybe worth a try to install a ~2 years old driver.
Thank you for the advice Nick,

My nvudisp.exe file was corrupted. I removed the previous Nvidia driver with Driver Cleaner and installed the last (4.14.0010).81.98 forceware version (10/12/2005).

The desktop right-click to display the Video Bios version now works correctly.
Here is the Video Bios version: 3.11.01.24

LFS runs without freeze until now.

I'll keep you informed about any event.
Thanks. I was mainly interested in the system BIOS though. Could you try what I suggested in post #99 again? Thanks, hope the driver sorts it for you.
Hi Nick,

I tried to get the required information following the post 99 procedure but unfortunately, I didn't get better result.
Please find below the only BIOS lines I found. I just copy and paste them here. I'm sorry because it is in french but I put the maybe important lines in blue.

FYI: Pilote means driver / Fichier means file in french.

Configuration avancée et interface Power (ACPI) BIOS
System
Clé de registre: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\enum\ROOT\*PNP0C08\0000
Nom de l'INF: MACHINE.INF
Pilote : System\0002
Date du pilote: 5- 5-1999
Pilote : vpowerd.vxd
Taille du fichier : 37531 (0x929B)
Date du fichier : 5/5/1999 10:22 PM
Société: Microsoft Corporation
Version de fichier: 4.10.2222
Pilote : power.drv
Taille du fichier : 2035 (0x7F3)
Version de fichier: 4.10.1998
Pilote : pci.vxd
Taille du fichier : 65895 (0x10167)
Pilote : acpi.sys
Taille du fichier : 83136 (0x144C0)

Carte système System
Clé de registre: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\enum\ROOT\*PNP0C01\0000
Ressources Alloc : Aucune
Ressources Obligé : Aucune
Ressources Amorçage : Aucune
Ressources Filtré : Aucune
Ressources Bases : Aucune
Nom de l'INF: MACHINE.INF
BIOSDate: 11/23/01
BIOSName: Award
BIOSVersion: v1.0 ~
CPU: Pentium Pro
MachineType: IBM PC/AT
Pilote : System\0026
Date du pilote: 5- 5-1999

I hope that you will find what you are looking for.

I'll stay tuned for any request
Thanks for the Bios agent software, very useful.

Here are the result:

Biostype: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Biosdate: 23/11/01
BiosID: 11/23/2001-VT8366A-8233-6A6LVA1AC-6G

I guess, it should be fine
Well, I have a computer, running Windows Server 2008 Beta 3 (Longhorn/Vista), Socket A (Sempron 2600+), Phoenix BIOS, running a Geforce 6600 GT, nForce 2 Chipset, and in the time that I do play LFS on that machine (depreciated machine), I get no freezing or any of the problems posted within this thread. The only difference I see is that my board runs Phoenix, while most people with issues have an Award BIOS. Coincidence?! :o
mamynast - thanks for your persistance! Got there in the end. You have the same BIOS version as me and kx_mole but a much older date.

dawesdust_12: I think it is officially called "Phoenix Award BIOS"! What version do you have? Interesting that you have the key ingredients of what i suspect is causing the problem, but your is fine.
Bleh, hold on while I SSH back in and grab it from a linux command.

dmidecode reports it as 6.00 PG

Interesting fact is that I don't have a floppy drive connected to that machine.

Aha, Award and Phoenix merged in 1998, my mobo I believe is from about 2004.
hmmm...maybe the 6600GT is the "minimum" (I mean not as old as Nick's FX or my gef4) card that works well with new drivers too. Nick, what was the other card number you tried? Some 6 series card I think. If it was a 6600 too, than forget this comment .

So the necessary ingredients for this freezing cocktail are: Athlon CPU, Award/Phoenix BIOS and/or some older gfx cards than 6600... and (my opinion) a new gfx driver...
Nick have you tried with another old driver?
Also, I've had LFS running on said 6600 with old old drivers, to most current with no change.
It was a 6600 (not GT) and it didn't freeze, it just hung IIRC. Maybe I will try some old drivers, seems to have worked for you kx_mole. Something is very wierd, I'm thinking about ditching the whole PC and buyng a new one again!
hi,

probably nothing related to the problem at hand, but i'd like to show you this.
It's a offline traning-session switched via "shift+F4" from fullscreen 1280*960*32 (were everything was ok) to windowed mode were the framedrops begin.
Now i know of a distant time were that wasn't a problem and only when another window intersected the lfs-window the massive framedrop occured

http://www.youtube.com/v/X1THAW0-o-A

so if that was already solved then forgive my bluntness and provide a link to the thread were i can find help...

regards
Quote from Nick A :It was a 6600 (not GT) and it didn't freeze, it just hung IIRC. Maybe I will try some old drivers, seems to have worked for you kx_mole. Something is very wierd, I'm thinking about ditching the whole PC and buyng a new one again!

it will definitely solve the problem but first, try a driver change , I will search another driver for you.

here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77.html

or the last from 6x.xx :

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_66.93.html
For the record, I have 3 out of 4 of those services mentioned by JasonJ set to manual (except system restore which is set to automatic).
Quote from Nick A :Cheers Moley, I'm not optimistic but I'll give them a go

well, I replied to Micha on that post... but yes, You can use that too
big silence... any news Nick?
Hehe. I am still working on it. I just go through quiet period when I am testing and thinking

At the moment I am using the 61.77 drivers. I've done 2/3 hours with no freeze. I did have a second when the GFX went crazy but recovered. Maybe that would have turned into a freeze with different driver versions but this driver can deal with whatever the problem is a bit better? I'll keep testing and keep you posted...
can't wait.... any good news?
Patience! I havn't had any more time to test it and I'll be driving less over the next few weeks as I don't have a GFC race for a while. But I will do a few hours this week and report back.
Hi All racers,

On my side, the fresh driver for my old GForce2 MX400 works fine with LFS, no freeze. Maybe the graphic cards driver is the main key of the problem. I already encountered such problem with Flight Simulator (I also enjoy flying hardcore software) and neither the older or newer version of the driver worked correctly. I had to find the average one after several test and that wasn't the last version.

I guess Nick that the driver you are using is the better that match with your system. I hope so!

Good Luck
Hello mamynast,

Good to hear that.

Problem with graphics freezing
(141 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG