The online racing simulator
Test Drive Unlimited
(634 posts, started )
The link above is 1.66A, which is what I'm currently using.
Quote from The_Mole

Quote :Dear all

Patch #1 will be released on Monday 16th July. Patch notes will be posted in the forum soon.

We apologise for the delay, and we hope the patch will make your gaming experience more enjoyable.

Well, finally got the patch, and within seconds made my last post on the Atari forums...this was it!

Quote :Oh well folks, this is probably my final post on this forum,

I know this because the powers that be are more than likely going to ban me for this post.
All I ask is that anybody who feels as strongly about this matter COPY my post and keep putting it up, because it is sure as hell going to get deleted!

Open letter to Atari and specifically The_Mole:

You have taken me for a sucker for the last time.
I DEMAND an explanation as to why I and many others have been blatantly LIED to over the last week or so concerning the validity of TDU Patch 1.66A.

Because of this CORPORATE FRAUD I DEMAND an immediate refund of the cost of my game, and would also expect to see the resignation and banning of the administrator that goes by the nickname 'The_Mole'
This person has, on numerous occasions, breached the forum rules, specifically:
Quote :Excessively communicating the same phrase, similar phrases, pure gibberish or same concept

Telling us that patch 1.66A was no good and would ruin our games.

and:
Quote :Causing disturbances in forum threads, such as picking fights, making off topic posts that ruin the thread, insulting other posters

Insulting our intelligence by continuing to LIE about the patch.

Goodbye everybody, was fun while it lasted.

What's your username there anyway?
EDIT: Found your post already :P

Oh well, the thing what is going around with Atari and Eden, it's just so sad, but in the meantime its hilarious too.
I wonder, how this is going to work out in the end...
its pretty sad cuz the game concept is good.
what sucks that u cant play without the patched version online, what mean i HAVE to patch but as already it makes the game run very bad.....go figure.
so it isn't out yet then after all?
Quote from Jakg :so it isn't out yet then after all?

It is...but it isn't!

_A_ patch is out, but it seems to have made a lot of peoples games run worse.
I must admit, I have seen a few minor improvements, but what upset me was the way the admins lied to the users, saying that the patch was a pre release bugfix version, when they knew it was the final that had erroneously got leaked.
Some poor buggers even got banned for posting links to it in PM's!!
Seems like the Atari forums are run by an Orwellian 'Ministry of Truth', and if something happens, then people disappear and history is changed...
If that confuses you, just read '1984'
Quote from Bladerunner :If that confuses you, just read '1984'

...and then Animal Farm.

Easily the two best books i've ever read, and still true, odd i found these books in a "relaxing Welsh cottage" on holiday
Quote from Bladerunner :It is...but it isn't!

_A_ patch is out, but it seems to have made a lot of peoples games run worse.
I must admit, I have seen a few minor improvements, but what upset me was the way the admins lied to the users, saying that the patch was a pre release bugfix version, when they knew it was the final that had erroneously got leaked.
Some poor buggers even got banned for posting links to it in PM's!!
Seems like the Atari forums are run by an Orwellian 'Ministry of Truth', and if something happens, then people disappear and history is changed...
If that confuses you, just read '1984'

or visit rcsnet.

animal farm is an incredible book actually, was a good read. got depressing though when we analysed it for what seemed like years. My theory about all things in english classes is that all the poets, authors and playwrites didnt mean anything that the english teachers say.

Anyway, about the TDU patch, i cant be arsed trying it, as it would break my no-cd, but i cant think of anything that really bothers me about it anyway.
if u dont play online its fine....but if u wanna play online u have to install the patch otherwise it wont let u connect.

now im waiting that they patch the patch
Not downloaded the offical patch yet, but am running the leaked 1.66, and can't complain. Its sorted the couple of bugs that nagged me, and the game seems to work online a bit better now. See random people racing about a lot more often. Performance is acceptable too, no stuttering.
Quote from Rtsbasic :Not downloaded the offical patch yet, but am running the leaked 1.66, and can't complain. Its sorted the couple of bugs that nagged me, and the game seems to work online a bit better now. See random people racing about a lot more often. Performance is acceptable too, no stuttering.

don't bother RTS..the 'leaked' 1.66 IS the official patch!!!!
That's what everybody is so upset about..we were told last week that patch 1.66 may damage your installation, and it must not be used!!!
So is the leaked 1.66A the same as the 'official' patch?
Quote from Bladerunner :don't bother RTS..the 'leaked' 1.66 IS the official patch!!!!
That's what everybody is so upset about..we were told last week that patch 1.66 may damage your installation, and it must not be used!!!

Thanks for the info, saves me a download Maybe they hadn't finished testing last week when it was leaked, hence the mis-information. The code must have gone gold a week or two ago.
I guess it is, since i see no patch that came out. Someone post here if the patch ever officially comes out, i can't find crap in the TDU forums and it's so insane over there.
Quote from MAGGOT :So is the leaked 1.66A the same as the 'official' patch?

byte by byte absolutely identical

I told you so, but did anyone believe, nooo nobody did believe, they say it is normal that software has bugs when released, how about now, still feels normal, still feels that Atari has earned your cash? Buahhahahhahaa

Would be nice if nobody would buy that piece of crap, idea is great, there is lot of potential, but coding is shitty quick dirty job and they have not even smallest interest of getting it to work as it would mean that they would actually use time for that, coders are assigned to different projects and what time is left over is given to patch making, or at least that it looks like.

Atari won't get any of my money never, if they threat their paying customers like shite, then I'm not going to be one of them and at least I vote with my moneys against such actions from game maker/publisher, think what message you would like to send them.
Quote from Rappa Z :I guess it is, since i see no patch that came out. Someone post here if the patch ever officially comes out, i can't find crap in the TDU forums and it's so insane over there.

The patch was officially released on Monday 16th July at about 1600 GMT. The official patch version is 1.66A, which was the 'test patch' (beta version) until sometime on Friday 13th July, but seeing as they didn't want to reconfigure the servers at the start of the weekend, we were left hanging until Monday.
You WILL need to install the patch to play TDU online (think of it as an 'incompatible patch' here )
Don't know what the US TDU forums are like, but there seems to have been some sort of revolt on the English one As you say, it has gone insane; mainly because the patch has caused many, many MORE problems than it fixed, and people haven't got the option to 'roll back'
Quote from MAGGOT :So is the leaked 1.66A the same as the 'official' patch?

Oh wtf thats just bollocks

Anyone got a link to the Atari UK forums?
Quote from Jakg :Oh wtf thats just bollocks

Anyone got a link to the Atari UK forums?

forums.eu.atari.com

It's a warzone over there.
Quote from Bean0 :
It's a warzone over there.

Makes you proud and gives you a warm feeling that we can come 'home' here to PROPER Devs and PROPER information and a complete lack of Bovine Excrement. It's seeing crap like this in other forums that makes LFS look so good!

Offcourse the patch was so weak, thats because Eden guys are working on TDU2! Makes sense, huh?
The debacle with TDU was a total joke, they totally released this game early becasue they were short of a bit of cash, it's funny because someone actually posted a link to vacancies at Eden games for a developer lol.

What does bug me though is that the PC version is just the 360 version botched to work on a PC.

When you look at LFS which was designed for the PC and then a title that was modified for the PC, it's like night and day.

I remember arguing with someone over DirectX, they were defending Atari sayig how hard it is to write software that works with all the different kind of hardware out there.

Its a war zone, but its so funny to be part of.
My main beef with TDU isn't so much the performance, but how badly those roads are recreated... Unfortunately, patching that would probably mean a major rewrite of the whole engine, so the game mostly collects dust... In addition, I always suspected the Havoc-engine to represent mass way too light, and jumping 10 m off the ground with some very heavy cars proves this imo...

Anyway, I wanted to know what all the fuss about the patch is all about (and I wanted to drive the new cars - VERY dull, don't mind them!)... After I patched, I got a completely black ingame-screen, only the sound and the main menu worked... I had to update my graphics drivers, this lowers the annoyances to funky colours on the edge of my screen in the menus of the shops, houses and so on...
Quote from billcool6 :Is testdrive any good my m8 have it on x-box 360 but whats it like on pc

Sheesh, there's 13 pages (and my thread list per page is at maximum) of posts answering this very question in this very thread!

Unbelievable!

I am so interested in TDU myself. Well, I'm back to racing since the CTRA is relaunched, but between the STCC and the x-patch CTRA, I was hanging out on CLC a bit for something to do (sick of seeing AS3/GTR and AS2/FOX). TDU look somewhat what CLC is trying to replicate, but with the LFS platform. For something different than racing, and with an online environment, TDU looks very appealling, but I'm hesitant with all the complaints here in this thread (see billcool6, all it takes is a bit of reading and research on your part. But at least you didn't start a new thread. You at least found the thread on TDU...) and the complaints on the official TDU forum. Like someone else said earlier in this thread, with lack of a demo, I'll have to find "other means" of trying it out before purchasing .

Test Drive Unlimited
(634 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG