The online racing simulator
*Cough* You say you've watched NASCAR, but you've never seen Jeff Gordon? Dale Jr.? Kurt Busch? They all do this maneuvre. And you'll read about it in every NASCAR website that has some kind of terms glossary.

Watch the recent race with the finish between Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson. Jeff Gordon tapped Johnson's car with the intention of making him go loose several times, progressively harder. Guess what happened? Johnson came in first, Gordon in second. The effects were clearly not what you describe.
Quote from Johnny Vet Boy B :Overall? Superb fun, with one MAJOR reservation.

Good points: amazing car handling physics and force feedback effects (on G25) / menu system and options are comprehensive and logical (it doesn't try to be flashy which I like a lot) / interesting selection of cars / graphics and sound are good enough, although improvments are always welcome.

Not so good points: TERRIBLE car to car (or car to solid "thing" in environment) physics. Just awful. REALLY spoils the bumper to bumper racing feel when a slight nudge or contact seems to forceably throw my car away from the contact point. This ruins the atmosphere and the flow of racing and I will often be thrown off balance and crash. When the rest of the physics seem so brilliant it's utterly bizarre that this is like this.

It is strange how bad collision detection can ruin the flow of the game. I mean what flow are we talking about here if you keep hitting things. You are NOT supposed to hit any other cars or objects.

I agree that the collision detection system could use a makeover, but I don't agree that it ruins the flow of the game. I see it as secondary to handling physics upgrades.
Quote from fabskimo :Bullhorn said it:
"You can always try to NOT touch other cars, people don't like it anyway. I've seen people get banned for hardly scratching other cars."

and beside this did you guys ever thought about the fact that you maybe dont know how collisions of cars are really like? i mean come on, we are all playing a game. how many of you did ever crash into another car in reality?
i dont really know what its like. in reality i never crashed my car. i just have my game experiences but i would never say this or that is not very good implemented just because its not like i expect it. think about that...
this game is in progress over years and i think the devs have put so much brain in it. imo it seems pretty real.

(hope my english is good enough)

Ever watched a race on TV when they had a crash!? That's how it looks like.
Quote from PLAYLIFE :It is strange how bad collision detection can ruin the flow of the game. I mean what flow are we talking about here if you keep hitting things. You are NOT supposed to hit any other cars or objects.

I agree that the collision detection system could use a makeover, but I don't agree that it ruins the flow of the game. I see it as secondary to handling physics upgrades.

Sometimes collision is just inevitable, such as unskilled drivers in turn one. Ask yourself this question. You're not doing anything wrong and you're driving cleanly. Then, all of a sudden, you fly up into a wall because some driver gave you a slight nudge. Would you be happy with that?

How bad would it have been if both Massa and Alonso had flown off the track during the race today?
Quote from PLAYLIFE :It is strange how bad collision detection can ruin the flow of the game. I mean what flow are we talking about here if you keep hitting things. You are NOT supposed to hit any other cars or objects.

Sorry, I disagree........

When a 16 lap race is ruined by a SLIGHT nudge on the side of your car, resulting in a huge uncontrolable 90DEG slide, then the failings in the collision detection system DOES ruin the flow of the game.

I don't think any of us here go looking for contact, infact I would say the vast majority of us avoid it at all costs, but some times a little contact is inevitable, and this small amount of contact shouldn't be punished by a very dodgy collision detection system ruining races.

LFS needs it fixed, and it needs it fixed with some urgency.
Quote from Aiden McGeady :*Cough* You say you've watched NASCAR, but you've never seen Jeff Gordon? Dale Jr.? Kurt Busch? They all do this maneuvre. And you'll read about it in every NASCAR website that has some kind of terms glossary.

Watch the recent race with the finish between Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson. Jeff Gordon tapped Johnson's car with the intention of making him go loose several times, progressively harder. Guess what happened? Johnson came in first, Gordon in second. The effects were clearly not what you describe.

From what i've read about this issue within NASCAR that is calling for new car shapes so that bumping CANT happen anymore, that it is a really hazy issue with NASCAR, and a respectful driver wont force a loose end while a, I quote from an article i have here http://findarticles.com/p/arti ... /is_20060214/ai_n16226327

"It's not that guys are trying to get people out of control; it's just a product of the environment that we're in," Stewart said. "To blow through a line, you have to get that guy and stay on his bumper and blow him through that hole."

"How do you calm down some of these guys?" Earnhardt said. "You can show them tapes of crashes, whatever. You can have Darrell Waltrip or Dale Jarrett or Bobby Labonte in their face telling them to calm down, but they're not going to calm down."

Four-time series champion and defending 500 winner Jeff Gordon called bump-drafting "the worst thing that has come along in the sport." Yet in the television broadcast of the Shootout on Sunday, Gordon was the first driver shown running into the back of another car.

Yeah, this is a legit, totally ok way of racing.

I bet you can't wait for the new car specs that are going to eliminate this.
Quote from danowat :Sorry, I disagree........

When a 16 lap race is ruined by a SLIGHT nudge on the side of your car, resulting in a huge uncontrolable 90DEG slide, then the failings in the collision detection system DOES ruin the flow of the game.

I don't think any of us here go looking for contact, infact I would say the vast majority of us avoid it at all costs, but some times a little contact is inevitable, and this small amount of contact shouldn't be punished by a very dodgy collision detection system ruining races.

LFS needs it fixed, and it needs it fixed with some urgency.

I don't remember having this problem since forever. It used to be a factor, but in the last year !?
I never said it wasn't unethical. I just said it happens in racing, and not because some retard doesn't have a clue what he's doing. You just misunderstood me. The new COT cars make it a lot harder to do, though.
#85 - Jakg
Quote from Jakg :
Quote from Aiden McGeady :In a competitive oval, particularly on restrictor plate tracks, nearly everyone is doing about the same speed, unless they have an uncompetitive car due to a bad set-up or mechanical problems. And they don't ram into one another, the technique is done by tapping the rear end of the car in front so it comes up and makes the car get loose.

I don't get how this is fair - the other driver is loosing the position not because he didn't defend enough or he's too slow, but because the twat behind him taps his rear - it's not "fair" because he can't retaliate, and it shows no skill (or racecraft, imo) of the following driver.

Quote from Aiden McGeady :Sometimes collision is just inevitable, such as unskilled drivers in turn one. Ask yourself this question. You're not doing anything wrong and you're driving cleanly. Then, all of a sudden, you fly up into a wall because some driver gave you a slight nudge. Would you be happy with that?

How bad would it have been if both Massa and Alonso had flown off the track during the race today?

I know your not saying you think this should be encouraged but...
Even your hero's think it is a terrible way to race. Money drives them to it, not because they want to. But because everyone has to do it because the rules were never enforced from the get go. Mainly because bump drafting lets you go faster. But making someone loose IS A DANGEROUS TACTIC. It will get you or someone else killed. And yes, the driver you made loose will call you names.

My point stands.
#87 - Jakg
Quote from richy :Money drives them to it, not because they want to.

Greed drives them to it you mean.

Same happens in BTCC - they give a cash pay out to the winning driver on top of there salary -------> a bunch of jumped up hot hatches wrecking each other off the road
Oh by the way I do want the collision detection to be improved for when a driver accidentally has contact. Not so people can use contact to their advantage.

You're assuming I'm a wrecker of some sort? Read my posts please. Do I sound like someone who goes around trying to crash into other cars? Yes, in a perfect world nobody would ever hit anybody ever again. But, if that were the case we'd either have been taken over by the borg and not realised it, or the government starts lacing the water supply with sedatives and the most excitement we could handle then would be a game of solitaire...

A racing game with off collision physics is just not complete.
Live for Speed: Resistance is Futile
Quote from Jakg :I've already said i've tried more than just LFS, but you ignored that one

People help LFS'ers here, it's just you read what you want to read and troll

I think you proved yourself wrong there mate, because i DID ask what 'troll' means of Which nobody has enlightened me
Quote from Johnny Vet Boy B :You're assuming I'm a wrecker of some sort? Read my posts please. Do I sound like someone who goes around trying to crash into other cars? Yes, in a perfect world nobody would ever hit anybody ever again. But, if that were the case we'd either have been taken over by the borg and not realised it, or the government starts lacing the water supply with sedatives and the most excitement we could handle then would be a game of solitaire...

A racing game with off collision physics is just not complete.

Aye to that! I think most of these boys are the LFSBorg
Quote from BlueFlame :I think you proved yourself wrong there mate, because i DID ask what 'troll' means of Which nobody has enlightened me

Only one definition from the Urban Dictionary:
"Troll: One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue."

And I repeat: Nobody is denying that the collision system needs improvement. Only the opinions on how big a problem that is and how urgent that need for improvement is differ.

Personally, I rarely have collision system related problems .
Then you must race rarely in south city because when you hit a wall there you have 80% chance of flying .
Quote from ldriver :Then you must race rarely in south city because when you hit a wall there you have 80% chance of flying .

There's really no need to speculate about how much I drive where. There's a laps chart available through LFS-world, you know .

But anyway, isn't that besides the point? If you hit a wall, your race is likely to be over in rL anyway, so I don't see that much of a problem with those situations in LFS. If a slight nudge by another racer makes you spin or go flying, that's where the trouble with LFS starts. But those situations are not all that common in my experience .
Thanks Linsen, your the sturdy pillar this Community needs!
Quote from BlueFlame :Thanks Linsen, your the sturdy pillar this Community needs!

Glad you took the troll-definition to heart and are acting accordingly .

One more thing to keep in mind, though: trolling does not work with everybody. Some people are just not that easily provoked .

Btw, here's Scawens take on the collision issue from a thread only a little under one month old:

Quote from Scawen :OK this is becoming a bit too surreal now, so I will close the thread.

I don't position things on my todo list based on forum polls.

The collision detection and reaction has been on my list for a long time.

As stated already, it has not changed because we have had physically compatible updates.

Let me be clear : this thread has changed nothing. The issue was obviously already on my list.

Troll.

I do not comment who I think is, or who is not trolling.
Quote from Aiden McGeady :Oh, dear god...has nobody ever watched NASCAR in this place..

They do it every race weekend in it, and nobody ever wrecks anything, and nobody is ever banned or called names or has ever died.

No comment.

:thumbsdow

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG