The online racing simulator
a little hint
(15 posts, started )
a little hint
I dont know how many people try to use manual when they start. I did and spent a fair amount of time with it but today i tried to use the auto and my times started getting better like atleast 4 seconds better per lap. Its so much easier to drive when all u have to do is figur out the best lines.
#2 - Slopi
Yes, sadly, it might be easier. Do remember though, that some servers restrict the use of an Auto gear-box, so it's best to learn manual when you start, that way it's all second nature later on
i am MUCH faster with manual
Manual is the way to go. Forget Auto
Indeed if there are 4 seconds extra in your laptimes, it might do you some good to be able to concentrate just on the throttle/brakes/steering. After a while though, you will want to switch to manual to be able to keep up with.. well, anybody.
#6 - Jakg
Quote from bentnewt :I dont know how many people try to use manual when they start. I did and spent a fair amount of time with it but today i tried to use the auto and my times started getting better like atleast 4 seconds better per lap. Its so much easier to drive when all u have to do is figur out the best lines.

4 seconds? If your 4 seconds off pace then i dont think the gears where your problem.

I must confess i used to use Auto simply because i watched the shift light rather than the apex, but in preparation for the STCC Round 1 i realised that with an auto you can't engine brake as hard as the WR guys, you can't flatshift, and that you can't time your shifts at the optimum point for the track (ie on SO2 in the FXO it helps to shift up before the second apex, as it slips the wheel a bit, pulling the car around a little more) without the risk of double-upshifting.

I went from getting high 57's, and clipping walls when i tried to brake anywhere near the WR guys, to getting low 56's with a higher consistency.

Of course, you do need to get used to it, but you just need to learn the shift points for one track, and before long you'll be able to geuss the shift light instinctively
#7 - DeKo
if your 4 seconds or more off the pace, then yeah, use auto. Auto is a good idea to learn the tracks and the cars, but when your fast on auto, you can go even faster on manual.

Anyway, i barely use the shift light, just go by the sound of the engine. may be why im so slow though
Manual FTW!
Quote from bentnewt :I dont know how many people try to use manual when they start. I did and spent a fair amount of time with it but today i tried to use the auto and my times started getting better like atleast 4 seconds better per lap. Its so much easier to drive when all u have to do is figur out the best lines.

Actually, try using the manual option and drive the UF1000 to find the ideal lines. If I was suggest one thing to beginners, it is NOT to start off with the fastest car possible. Everyone learns at a different pace, so try it!
Quote from Markz :Auto is easier because you don't have to think about it, but manual is much better in terms of speed both car- and shift-wise. With manual, you can flat shift, giving your car that ever-so-small speed boost when letting go of the clutch. However, when the LFS engine damage is done, this will further increase the chances of engine damage.

Also, with automatic, the transmission is slow to downshift, and there is no kickdown mode; the transmission engines aren't quite finished yet either.

You don't have to think about manual either after you've driven with it for a week.. or 3 years.. or your whole life.
i use manual. but for movies i use automatic becuase it shifts faster and more like a GTR car.
Quote from Lible :You don't have to think about manual either after you've driven with it for a week.. or 3 years.. or your whole life.

I don't think anyone has raced LFS their whole life... Er... well... my daughter is close (6 yrs old, she's raced LFS half her life )
Quote from mrodgers :I don't think anyone has raced LFS their whole life... Er... well... my daughter is close (6 yrs old, she's raced LFS half her life )

By the whole life, I meant driving a real car... altough that's not completely true, as noone can drive a car on official roads before 16 (or 18 in some countries). After thinking a bit, I agree that's not the same.
Quote from mrodgers :I don't think anyone has raced LFS their whole life... Er... well... my daughter is close (6 yrs old, she's raced LFS half her life )

Bet she gives you a good run for your money too :P
Quote from Lible :By the whole life, I meant driving a real car... altough that's not completely true, as noone can drive a car on official roads before 16 (or 18 in some countries). After thinking a bit, I agree that's not the same.

Yes, I know. It was just a bit of joking around...

Quote from creativesurgeon :Bet she gives you a good run for your money too :P

No way, she's a wrecker! She even told me while watching me race on the servers, "Just hit him and crash him out of your way, Dad. That's what I do..." She's banned from my lan server now, hehehehe.

a little hint
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG