The online racing simulator
FO8 assistance
(21 posts, started )
#1 - Dru
FO8 assistance
Hi guys..

Don't ridicule me please but i'm really struggling with the FO8.

I drive with a DFP and use 300 degrees steering in game and in profiler, use 101 force setting in profiler and about 70-80 in game strength.

I know the key with this car is to be smooth, but from watching replays people are on the gas quicker and fuller more jerky with their steering yet using the same setups they are alot lot quicker than me, we are talking 3-5 seconds per lap on various tracks 1min 30 tracks or 2min tracks so it's ALOT of time.

Can anyone help me out here and give me some advice on controller settings and also the way to drive it, the main problem is people seem to be able to chuck the car into corners more and with more gas, and also i seem to get the equivalent of tank slappers alot when i try to apply the power with any degree of steering lock still on, basically i can only floor it when i'm going straight....

Really Grateful for anyone who can offer tips and help as apposed to ridicule and torment

Best Regards,

Dru.
#2 - Kaw
I can give you my Settings ?

220 Degree's
0.00 Wheel Compensation
275 Wheel turning, thing.
and 100 % FFB in profiler and then 10% ingame.
(It is my own translations, maybe wrong)

Thats my, i wouldnt say im a genious in the FO8, but hope it helps.

Regards Kaw
#3 - Dru
Quote from Kaw :I can give you my Settings ?

220 Degree's
0.00 Wheel Compensation
275 Wheel turning, thing.
and 100 % FFB in profiler and then 10% ingame.
(It is my own translations, maybe wrong)

Thats my, i wouldnt say im a genious in the FO8, but hope it helps.

Regards Kaw

Cheers Kaw.. also how would you say your 'driving style' is in this car?
#4 - garph
Quote from Dru :
Can anyone help me out here and give me some advice on controller settings and also the way to drive it, the main problem is people seem to be able to chuck the car into corners more and with more gas, and also i seem to get the equivalent of tank slappers alot when i try to apply the power with any degree of steering lock still on, basically i can only floor it when i'm going straight....

Good news.....steering wheel tweaks may help a little.

Bad news....you just need more time in the car and learning how to drive it. You can't just floor the gas you need to feed it in and be gentle, the FO8 needs better throttle control to get the most out of it.

Settings can help with that also. If you go to the Final Drive settings and use the CLUTCH PACK LSD and have it around power/coast 30 - 50%/50% and above.

The lower the percentage on power will make it easy to get on the power out of turns but it can also loose you acceleration so you need to find a good balance. Try it around 45% but you'll still need good throttle control, not just slamming it on full gas.

The more you drive the car the faster you'll be able to jump on full gas. No easy fix for this one, sorry.
#5 - Kaw
Quote from Dru :Cheers Kaw.. also how would you say your 'driving style' is in this car?

I would say it was, hmm i dont know. Easy on the throttle. And respect the almighty Fo8 engine.
#6 - Dru
Quote from garph :Good news.....steering wheel tweaks may help a little.

Bad news....you just need more time in the car and learning how to drive it. You can't just floor the gas you need to feed it in and be gentle, the FO8 needs better throttle control to get the most out of it.

The more you drive the car the faster you'll be able to jump on full gas. No easy fix for this one, sorry.

Thanks for the tips

I'm not a complete novice at this car and i don't just JUMP on the gas all or nothing - its hard to explain in words, i do try and feed the power in smoothly, what is annoying is that obviously other cars at the same point are doing the same and managing to hold the ensueing slide that then occurs.

I'll try out the power/coast thing as well...

is it also right to assume that if i soften the rear as well it will help?

Cheers and many thanks

Dru.
#7 - Dru
Quote from Kaw :I would say it was, hmm i dont know. Easy on the throttle. And respect the almighty Fo8 engine.

I hope its respecting the FO8 engine a bit more than you do the UF1 engine mate
Just a suggestion, but I set my profiler to 450 and in game to 450. This is to match the car. It then feels alot better. So for xrt (for example) i set profiler to 720 and ingame to 720. I also set my FFB to 100% in control panel and 35% in game.

As others have said, the most important thing in FO8 is throttle control, whereas in the BF1 braking seems more important, and the FOX a bit of both, hope this helps.

I have managed to be the WR holder using these settings in the FO8/ASCLUB, so must be doing something right
You might want to change Options-> Misc-> Analog steer smooth to something like 0.30 and see if it helps.

If you are already using a larger value, then try decreasing it - it's helpful if you are lacking proper control over the car while turning.

But It have the side effect of producing steering lag - so in time, when you get faster and faster, you'll want this setting to be lower and lower.

Regarding handling - don't apply full throttle all at ones do it gradually. You should watch replays from others who are 1-2 seconds faster than you, and see if you can learn what they are doing. But you will have a much harder time doing the same if you compare your driving with someone who is 3-5 seconds faster.

It's also not really about observing how others are throttling, steering, braking etc. (well it is, but) - it's more about knowing when and how to do it.
If you have a DFP or G25, set it to 900, both in profiler, and LFS, and turn wheel compensation to 1.0. This will give all cars their lock as what they are supposed to be. Without ever having to change anything. As far as FFB is concerned, I use 100 in profiler and 125 in game. Other than that, smoothness is key with the FO8, and making sure you're not cranking on it full lock every corner, this will make it plow like a pig in, then want to spin around when you give it gas on the way out.
Quote from Dru :Don't ridicule me please but i'm really struggling with the FO8.

Your just a big nancy boy, stick to the UF1
#12 - DeKo
I do what deulsion described. I find a bigger rotation helps you to steer less using the F08, which helps a lot. I use 101% FFB in profiler and 75% in LFS.

I was going to say that i go slow in > fast out but i kinda dont, on f08/Fe gold im basically fast in/fast out,you just have to be very careful on the brakes, steer as little as you can and just gradually go on the throttle, its something you pick up in time. The F08 isnt as bad as people make out.

Hang on, ill make a quick replay.

Not a fast lap by any stretch, i reckon theres about another second in that for me, and that was on a race set so with a better set i could get close to the WR, i reckon.

also, notice where i went wrong at the start of lap 2 Too much steering angle, hadnt straightened out the wheel enough before i applied throttle.
Attached files
quick F08 lap.spr - 56 KB - 175 views
I think the key to the FO8 is knowing what its about to-do, as you can almost floor it out of bends without it stepping out. Just tweak the diff settings until you find the right amount of oversteer/understeer you want.

I use 220/225 Rotation for the car and leave LFS @ 360, I find once you get used to it it becomes pretty easy to throw around. I also use F1 TV style cam so I can see the wheels + wing etc, all at a 30degree angle.
One thing that works for me is streightening the wheel and floor it, even in corners. I know it sounds insane but it works (not sharp corners, obviously). I'm not much off fast people and always in top 5 in races.
So, the more you get the wheel streight, the more you can give it throttle. Just trust the F08's suspension and downforce.

As far as rotation, I always set it in profiler and LFS to what the car is. The 900 in both really doesn't work for me. I use 105% ff in profiler and between 15 and 25 ingame, depending on the car, set and track. Make sure your FF is strong enough that you feel it but not too strong so you have to wrestle with it. I kinda like lower FF for the F08 as it makes me more smooth.

I hope any of this helps.
Good Luck.
As you know Dru I run the fox in the GFC and the last couple of nights I have given the FO8 a try out for fun on FE gold while the lads have been running Qualifying sessions and as I run probably the same sort of times as you (now down to mid to low 1:07's0 where as Huppis is getting now high 1:05's.

One trick I use as I am just learning the car is I run some high speed corners 1 gear higher as it makes it that little bit easier to hold the car on the limit without spinning out.
#16 - Dru
Thanks for all the help guys (except Moose that is :razz

I did some running last night on FE Gold and got inth the 1.07.00's fairly quickly however i have been running the power value much lower and a higher coast - car is pretty tame and just now need to try the other things you have all mentioned and take it from there

Thanks again guys, Your all stars.

Regards,

Dru.
Quote from DeKo :I was going to say that i go slow in > fast out but i kinda dont, on f08/Fe gold im basically fast in/fast out

slow in fast out doesnt work out on the fo8 as it is downforce dependant to such a huge degree that any slowness will make you go a lot slower than you intended to
Quote from gohfeld23 :One thing that works for me is streightening the wheel and floor it, even in corners. I know it sounds insane but it works (not sharp corners, obviously).

Does that not destroy your tires? Thankfully, I'm getting better with tire wear, but even so, surely your rears will take a pounding?
Rear tyre wear is rarely an issue in the FO8.
#20 - DeKo
Quote from creativesurgeon :Does that not destroy your tires? Thankfully, I'm getting better with tire wear, but even so, surely your rears will take a pounding?

well no, because if your pointing straight then the rear tyres wont light up, 99% of the time. and as storm cloud said, i did some 50 odd laps the other day on R2's, rear tyre wear on the FO8 is only a problem if your doing doughnuts all the time.
Pointing straight in an FO8?

FO8 assistance
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG