The online racing simulator
Found one performance leak
(64 posts, closed, started )
After some experimenting and thinking why LFS runs to me slower than it should I've discovered following.

When I was using official drivers for my integrated CMI9880 audio, in LFS Benchmark I got about 10-15 FPS lower results than now. Problem disapperared when I've installed UAA HD Audio driver(supplied with WinXP SP2 - thats how it seems to me). The whole secret why are these drivers faster(I can get over 100 fps when alone, before 50-60) is because they DOES NOT support EAX. I did tests with SBLive! 5.1 and got same performance drop!(to be exact, with SBLive! it was a lite faster)

--> EAX effects SLOWS LFS ON CERTAIN SYSTEMS.

EAX are in use when LFS is running, I can hear reverbed(and silly sounding) sound.

For details see http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=2371
wtf has your hw probs/features got to do with lfs?
Quote from KiDCoDEa :wtf has your hw probs/features got to do with lfs?

The relevance is that those using EAX may get unacceptable or less than average FPS. This is because EAX uses CPU resources to process info. Since LFS is already CPU intensive you can probably see where this is going. Hence, I think it's actually quite logical to post a note informing any "EAXers" out there that they may get a significant increase in FPS in LFS by disabling EAX. HTW is that not relevant (I have an EAX soundcard)?

That reminds me, I haven't tested this yet because running 3 OSs with half a gig of RAM & a crappy CPU isn't going to give good results anyway when compared to when I usually play LFS.. but on SB card, wouldn't deselcting everything in the EAX Console completely disable EAX & hence be a valid workaround, instead of having to install a diff set of drivers? Especially CMSS 3D upmixing has a big effect on the sound so perhaps it's that..
#4 - bbman
EAX is affecting your performance in games, if you haven't got a top-notch system? REALLY?

Honestly, everyone should registered THAT a few years ago...
But does use LFS EAX anyway? I think it uses it's own sound engine without the need of EAX.

As you wrote in your second post, the performance difference is likely due to some upmixing by the driver, so it has nothing todo with LFS.
If you've got an really powerful soundcard EAX won't slow your system down, it only does on soundcards that rely on your CPU, cause they don't bring enough calculating power with them

For instance a Creative X-Fi has enough power
WTF DOES A HW FEATURE OF YOUR SYSTEM GOT TO DO WITH LFS?

next im gonna create a thread "informing" everyone to disable AA and get more fps...

and why is a hardware related thread here? not even a good one at that.
I found a trick you might wanna know. Buy a better PC and your frame rates go up :O
Quote from KiDCoDEa :WTF DOES A HW FEATURE OF YOUR SYSTEM GOT TO DO WITH LFS?

next im gonna create a thread "informing" everyone to disable AA and get more fps...

and why is a hardware related thread here? not even a good one at that.

Actually it's only a problem when it's NOT a hardware feature, but done entirely in software...

Yes, you prolly should create a thread like that... Difference between this one and your thread would be you'd see/hear no difference in LFS when you disable EAX support, except in framerates. FSAA is eyecandy and you can see the difference immediately.

Is it hardware related? I can see why you'd say it's not entirely LFS related, but it's not hardware related either... It's a configuration issue... Sooooo, we need a Configuration subforum, Vic.

Thread was created, info was released, comments were made... Move on, peeps.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :WTF DOES A HW FEATURE OF YOUR SYSTEM GOT TO DO WITH LFS?

the relevance of this is that there is no friggin setting in lfs to disable the use of eax from within the game (which implies that lfs doesnt use eax at all while apparently it does)
Quote from tristancliffe :I found a trick you might wanna know. Buy a better PC and your frame rates go up :O

And if you have some knowledge about PC's technical troubleshooting, you might know that a new PC sometimes introduces more problems than it fixes. There is just too many variables, cosmic radiation and divine interventions in PC world that you can never be sure.
Quote from Shotglass :the relevance of this is that there is no friggin setting in lfs to disable the use of eax from within the game (which implies that lfs doesnt use eax at all while apparently it does)

is there a setting to turn off dx10 shaders? no.
is there a setting to turn off the guns included in the cars? no
is there a setting to turn off these stupid threads? no.
is there a setting to turn u off? no.
is there a setting to disable AA, AF ingame? no
is there a setting to turn p2p off? no
is there a setting to turn off eax, aureal3d, dolbysurround or fukin stupid prologic? no

BENFICA TURNED OFF MAN U THOUGH!

and you sexy germ, turn me on. raaaaaaaaaaaaaawwoorrrr
Dude, chill. He made a thread posting something he found, maybe it was in the wrong forum, not something worth completely flipping out over.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :is there a setting to turn off dx10 shaders? no.
is there a setting to turn off eax, aureal3d, dolbysurround or fukin stupid prologic? no

Yea there isn't, but it's a bit retarded on your part to spam a legitimate discussion. Thank you. Your effort has made much improvement in LFSing. Now please shut up if you have nothing constructive to say and quit talking shit for the benefit of those people who want to read this thread and try out disabling EAX on their soundcard.

Is there a setting to stop arrogant wankers to stop spamming useful threads? I wish there was.

Back on topic now.. When EAX is enabled on a card such as SB Live! 24-bit, it will process w/e goes thru the s/w mixer. My music app doesn't have a separate checkbox for EAX but en/disabling CMSS 3D upmixing makes a huge difference in the sound, in both the music app & LFS. Having disabled it, my FPS increased slightly and was more steady. There, now wasn't that useful.. o.O

ok guys ... who did leave that cage open ?

How about you turn your computer off? I'm sure 95% of the members of this forum would be pretty happy.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :Stupid quote

AA/AF and other options are things that i personally would really like to see in the game options, but its easily done through the nvidia panel for me anyways. But how on earth do you turn the stuffing EAX off?

Calm down.
Depends on the card really. On SB cards you can just deselect everything under the EAX Console tab, other cards.. I haven't the details but looking for anything EAX related about your card shoud give you a hint. Some driver tweak kit is probably needed for some of them like integrated AC '97 cards
A more topical thread title would have been advisable... Something along the lines of "Turning off EAX may improve performance."

"Found one performance leak" can imply there's something wrong with LFS in this regard, which if I'm not mistaken, isn't the case.

Just offering some words of reason
Yep, its been pretty well documented over the years that both SB cards in general and particularly EAX have an often significant drain on processor resources. It's not what I would call a performance leak or an issue relevant to the coding of LFS at all.
Quote from joshdifabio :How about you turn your computer off? I'm sure 95% of the members of this forum would be pretty happy.

/signed
Quote from Mbrio :A more topical thread title would have been advisable... Something along the lines of "Turning off EAX may improve performance."

"Found one performance leak" can imply there's something wrong with LFS in this regard, which if I'm not mistaken, isn't the case.

Just offering some words of reason

agreed
All this bickering, and only one remotely populated server running at the moment.

How about we go and race?
Quote from joshdifabio :How about you turn your computer off? I'm sure 95% of the members of this forum would be pretty happy.

Quote from sil3ntwar :/signed

oh that might be close to the truth and so would the inverse. La Palissse.
The other "5%" would also be very pleased if the other "95%" would turn off theirs. in fact that doesnt limitate to the lfs forum but whole internet.

Quote from NotAnIllusion : Now please shut up

Is there a setting to stop arrogant wankers to stop spamming useful threads? I wish there was.

well since u get personal,
how about u ignorant-yet-non-arrogant people that buy $$$$ hardware and have no ****in idea about what it is doing, grab ya silly mediocre asses and spam the website of creative, aureal, turtlebeach or whatever magazines that rate hw, make u buy?
mediocrity shouldnt be encouraged here, much less AT THE WRONG SECTION.
Seems you couldnt understand the analogy in the posts but what it meant for you 95% people that think tristan posts is the best shit since sliced bread, is:
lfs , the stand alone app, wont fix or tweak your computer and OS in the first place, and also it doesnt support on/off switches for things it doesnt integrate.
how do u pinpoint the stupidity in such a thread without expressing that i, like many, are ****in tired of retarded threads here?
dats what i call spam. when content doesnt match the forum aim.
I'm running the kxproject drivers on an sblive which do not support EAX yet I do get the reverberation effects when close to walls, etc Point being, I don't think LFS is using EAX for the reverb.
This thread is closed

(64 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG