The online racing simulator

Poll : Do you agree with the "forced cockpit view" option?

Yes, I agree.
No! It should be removed.
Quote from Bob Smith :Agreed, the poll could have done with better options.

At first I voted "Yes, I agree." believing that was the only right choice.
But after reading al the comments I also agree to the fact that we need some room for ajusting.
There's quite a few people who seem to think it's their 'right' to go on any server they wish. That infers that private servers are infringing their 'yooman rights. Make all servers public with voting for everything enabled!
Quote from danowat :I think that nearly everyone would agree that some adjustment in forced cockpit is needed.

Yep. I would agree with that.
I'd just like to point out that Chuck Norris drives with default cockpit view.

(As does Bear Grylls.)
Quote from Syfoon :I'd like the idea of forced cockpit if I could change my orientation around so I could get a bonnet-cam.

I've just changed the custom view in the FXR to a bonnet-cam, and it's cracking fun. I actually prefer it to the wheels.

You are no longer in the driver's seat with that view, are you? Or do you routinely drive your tintop sitting on the center console with the gearstick between your knees?
I have no problem with it, but it should be used sparingly.

i use a cusom view, in car in the driver's seat, just moved down a bit, because i'm a short guy and amd basicly adjusting to see what i would really see
Quote :I'd just like to point out that Chuck Norris drives with default cockpit view.

Chuck Norris doesn't need cockpit view or any other view.

The only true view which gives an unfair advantage is the view from Chuck Norris.
Quote from tristancliffe : Perhaps 'Custom View' can be considered 'Cockpit View' if all the axis are within 150mm (which is the most movement you'd get realistically, even if you rewelded the seat mountings).

Yes , i agree wholeheartedly, definitely the way to go with this issue. A certain amount of flexibility with the axis is needed within reason.

This is twice we've agreed in two days. Please post something controversial before this becomes a habit
Moose only drives cars that are pink
Quote from Electrik Kar :Chuck Norris doesn't need cockpit view or any other view.

The only true view which gives an unfair advantage is the view from Chuck Norris.

You made my day That was funny
When looking on the pool the result was pretty clear - that we got a pretty divided oppinion about it. It was not like 75% that said this would be a good idea (someone mentioned that only 25% of LFS people, known as acrade racers use chase-view and other arcadish cameras), but almost 40%, something that is a considerebal big amount.

Still, whatever how much I and other whines, it don`t help at all, the option is there and will most likely stay there, but it just points that there is not like "everyone" wants this, and the one that doesnt are just at a "lower racing rank" drivers.

Edit - but I`m happy today, so peace out. Just leave some servers for me to abuse with me f*ked veiws
If the poll says only half of us want forced cockpit, then that probably means most servers won't be using it. I don't think you've got much to worry about.
Quote from thisnameistaken :If the poll says only half of us want forced cockpit, then that probably means most servers won't be using it. I don't think you've got much to worry about.

Better hope so
Still I had hoped that the comentition servers wouldn`t have the FCV.
But I understand the reasons why it isnt there too.
I would like to see a GTL (GTR?)-esque system of adjustable seat, as Tristan suggested +/- 150mm up/down.

As for seeing too much/little in the cockpit, some FOV adjustment really helps to find your "comfort point", widescreen monitors help also though.

Cockpit view is the Only way I drive, as its the only one thats realistic and forces You to know how wide/offset your car is.
My problem is that when I adjust the fov to see more of the cockpit it starts looking unrealistic. If the seat was adjustable and you could move it back more then I would use it, I'm a tall guy with long legs so my natural driving position is with the seat low down and as far back as possible.
Quote from Bob Smith :Agreed, the poll could have done with better options.

The pole was made considering the options available by the time the feature was implemented...

I sure agree there is room for aditional options, like:

c) I agree, if it's possible to adjust the view inside the car (and within a virtual cube with 1 square meter above the head position on the single seaters) - cause they have no roof ...
i wouldnt join a server with cockpit only view, but if it is the hosts wish, why not adding an option!
Quote from Dajmin :This means that those of us who treat the game as if we're racing for real can race together, and those who treat it like a game can also stick together.

Why do you and so many others think it is simply a matter of either one or the other? This is the most disappointing aspect of this whole thing, that so many people can be so narrow minded. So using wheels view automatically means you don't race like it was for real? I raced many league races using wheels view and later using cockpit view and the view made no difference.
Don't mean to appear to be picking on only you mate (just using your post to highlight some points) but the world isn't black and white, there isn't two totally separate and disparate groups within LFS that need to be segregated.
As evidenced in this thread many people don't see that cockpit view is any more realistic than other views on offer so how does that make them less 'hardcore'? Fact is it doesn't but a certain portion of the community has convinced themselves that their opinion is what's right, despite much evidence to the contrary, and consequences be damned. Honestly the nerve that some people would tell others they're playing the wrong game or should go play some arcade game, it's really quite offensive. For someone who wants realistic physics but prefers the chase view where else can they go?

As an aside I don't buy the argument that chase view gives an unfair advantage in the autox arena. Seeing your wheels or the exterior of your car does not magically mean you can place it exactly where you want to.

Ah well, I've had my say. My wheel broke today, maybe I should take the hint
Quote from tailing :

As an aside I don't buy the argument that chase view gives an unfair advantage in the autox arena. Seeing your wheels or the exterior of your car does not magically mean you can place it exactly where you want to.

"Seeing your wheels" is not chase view. Chase view puts you up high so that you can see quite a way in front of you and even see what is around the bend. This applies to both autox and circuit racing. In a flat autox environment it is particularly noticeable.
Quote from eRaptor :Is on the server side, you know...

No one forces you to join a server that uses forced cockpit view (if you should find any, that is).
Quote from Dajmin :While I'm normally for giving as much choice as possible, I have to point out that LFS is a simulator and in real life you can't choose to fly behind your own car or lie between the front wheels just because you want a better view.

Not all those who are against this feature (at least as it is now) are for using chase and wheels view. Most of us just would like to use a costumized view, yet inside the car, but not the fixed cockpit view that is so uncomfortable, and fun spoiling...

Quote from Dajmin :This means that those of us who treat the game as if we're racing for real can race together, and those who treat it like a game can also stick together.

That's one of my initial points, and you're proving me right - This will only divide the comunity, but don't think we all stick around...

And put one thing in your heads: The quality of a driver is not indicated by the view he uses while racing. I believe we all treat LFS as a simulation, otherwise we wouldn't be here. There's tons of racing GAMES out there, but good simulators, that's hard to find, don't you agree?
Quote from Gunn :"Seeing your wheels" is not chase view. Chase view puts you up high so that you can see quite a way in front of you and even see what is around the bend. This applies to both autox and circuit racing. In a flat autox environment it is particularly noticeable.

So you're saying chase view simulates the ability to look out your left and right windows naturally? That's ridiculous! Having the dash take up 50% of your view is much more realistic.

Guys, face it -- in real life, you have a couple blind spots behind you, and everything else is easily and naturally visible. In a simulator, you're limited to whatever monitor size you've got. Reducing the already miniscule visible area even more is not realistic at all.
Is a little hard for me to say it but, in the beginning LFS have the virtuosity to bring a great SIMULATOR to a more vast public that all the other racing sims - pushing away people because they where too much hardcore to be enjoyable - but now it's narrowing it's target public with no need to...

Hardcore players where happy, because they already have the possibility to race in a hardcore envrinonment, and less hardcore players where happy too, because they could race in the same track with more harcore players and all have fun together in their own environment.

Now all that's about to change, because we won't be able to race together no more, despite our individual skills. We are going to be separate by the way we see the track while racing.
Quote from eRaptor :Is a little hard for me to say it but, in the beginning LFS have the virtuosity to bring a great SIMULATOR to a more vast public that all the other racing sims - pushing away people because they where too much hardcore to be enjoyable - but now it's narrowing it's target public with no need to...

Hardcore players where happy, because they already have the possibility to race in a hardcore envrinonment, and less hardcore players where happy too, because they could race in the same track with more harcore players and all have fun together in their own environment.

Now all that's about to change, because we won't be able to race together no more, despite our individual skills. We are going to be separate by the way we see the track while racing.

Do you ever step back from a situation and realize that you're prematurely reacting (overreacting) to something? Give it a week or two to see how things play out. If it goes badly, I have little doubt that it will be tailored to suit the community.

We've all gotten the fact that you're vehemently opposed to this change. No need to continue spamming that fact.
This thread is closed

Do you agree with the "forced cockpit view" option
(314 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG