The online racing simulator
How to recover from grass
(39 posts, started )
I've been having a bit of trouble recovering from having two tires slip into the grass. I see people do it just fine, but for me, it seems like tire + grass = spin.

What I try to do is just snap the throttle shut, and slowly try to steer back onto the track (assuming the track is clear), with copious amounts of countersteer to combat spinnage.

I'm wondering, how do you guys do it?
#2 - CSU1
shake and wave one arm out the window like a cowboy, open the throttle, close your eyes and hope for the best :bananalla
Depends what car i'm in.

If its something like an open wheeler, I tend to let off the throttle. But if its a road car, I just floor the throttle and have some fun
Quote from sinkoman :I've been having a bit of trouble recovering from having two tires slip into the grass. I see people do it just fine, but for me, it seems like tire + grass = spin.

What I try to do is just snap the throttle shut, and slowly try to steer back onto the track (assuming the track is clear), with copious amounts of countersteer to combat spinnage.

Don't snap the throttle shut, just lift off gently and then smoothly counter-steer.
And don't forget to drive back into the middle of the track without looking. That seems to be the norm.
Quote from CSU1 :shake and wave one arm out the window like a cowboy, open the throttle, close your eyes and hope for the best :bananalla

LMFAO!
#7 - bbman
Quote from sinkoman :I've been having a bit of trouble recovering from having two tires slip into the grass. I see people do it just fine, but for me, it seems like tire + grass = spin.

Avoid excessive and sudden inputs (of all sort) and get it gently onto the track again... But as a rule of thumb: if you're having problems getting out of the grass, don't go onto it!

Don't lift off completely, bak off to about half throttle so you're neither accellerating nor decellerating. That way the driven wheels aren't trying to do anything other than roll. Then steer gently onto the track AFTER looking at the track map and your mirrors.
Try using 2nd or 3rd gear. Too much torque in 1st - just makes the wheels spin.
Let the throttle go as soon as you realise you're gonna get on the grass. Shift up a few gears, so you won't have too much wheelspin. Then push the throttle a bit (like 20%) to keep a bit of speed. Gently steer back to the tarmac. Don't steer too much, or you'll spin anyway.
#11 - CSU1
imo it's 90% awareness and the rest is throttle controll.

You need to have good awareness and feel of the car ie. what direction the car is going to go next.
You could be in first gear full open throttle and get out of the grass in record time...you just need to know what the car is telling you. Gravel however is totally different.
Keep on the power, best way out. Very rare it fails...for me anyway.
FWD, maximum steer lock to the track side, full acceleration, release gas pedal about half way, and return the steer to it's center, when you get back into the track be careful when you have 2 tires in the asphalt you could spin if you don't control your throttle.

AWD, same as FWD but a lot easier

RWD, well this is the tricky one, lift of the throttle about half way, and gentrly steer into the track, as you return to the asphalt be very careful, RWD cars tend to loose control when you touch the asphalt with one of the rear wheels.

at least that's what works for me.
The best way to recover from grass is to stay on the road
One very important thing is to make sure you have two wheels off and not just one, especially with the RWD cars. If you go off to the left with just the LR, your LF still has grip and the car will pivot around it. It's very easy to save a car when you go two wheels off, much harder when it's just one wheel.

Formulas, RWD GTRs, most other RWDs: roughly half throttle, gentle steering input.

FWD/AWD cars: you can pretty much floor it with these (cf. the FXRs coming out of the last corner in the 24hr race :schwitz.
i press the clutch and countersteer back into the track.
go up an extra gear till im rolling along , then i drop to first when im just touching the tarmac and then switch up to the right gear
try to remove the grass
Get those lawn service employees off they're lazy butts and get them to mow it, then it wouldnt be such a problem.
Quote from CSU1 :shake and wave one arm out the window like a cowboy, open the throttle, close your eyes and hope for the best :bananalla

Thats what I do.

Edit: some of the posts seem as though one is thinking about what they are going to do as they are about to go on the grass.
I use full throttle and repeated tapping of the clutch in a RWD, in a FWD I use car reset...

This is where drifting skills makes you a better race driver =) dont throttle shut cause this make the weight tranfer to the front and the rear lose more of his traction (=90% spin) most of the job is done by the steering wheel , countersteer as much is need it to have the car goin straight-sliding (with the 2 wheels on the grass or 4 on the grass, its the same exacly feeling you get when drifting a corner allthough you dont have the same FFb power cause you dont have the same grip on the grass) adjust your throttle if need it and start recover you countersteer slowly, this will bring you back at the track without loosing most of your speed and not in the middle on the track or the other end ;p

Mistakes (mistakes when racing in drifting this is the key) :

1: If you countersteer more than you have you will end up sliding the opposite direction
2: if you throttle shut you loosing you rear grip
3: braking = same like 2 but worse
4: full throttle and clutch mensioned before is wrong cause clutching = more angle to your slide (Clutch is an initial drift technique or a + angle technique while you are on the slide)

For an ex drifter or a Racer who drifts too this isnt a problem =)

ps: Dont listen to the ppl that saying drifting sucks. Drifting teach you how to control the car in situations likes this when you pass some of your grip level and makes you a better racer ^^ Mistakes will always happen and you have to correct em fast

ps2: left foot brake may help you too but this is a high lvl technique that make use of losing the rear grip to change you sliding direction a bit or to start a slide ,take a look at "scandinavian flick"
eat a bag of chips
Quote from ZzeCoOl :This is where drifting skills makes you a better race driver =) ....

....ps: Dont listen to the ppl that saying drifting sucks. Drifting teach you how to control the car in situations likes this when you pass some of your grip level and makes you a better racer ^^ Mistakes will always happen and you have to correct em fast

The skills for recovering can be learned without learning how to drift, you know. In fact, I'd say that drifting skills as in knowing how to put the car completely sideways and hold it is counterproductive to catching a slide or recovering from grass. You need to know how to anticipate the back end going out and how to countersteer quickly and effectively to minimize the tail coming out. Your drifting skills and how it makes you a better racer is a fundamental skill of racing, thus you should already have the skills to catch slides and minimize the loose backend before it becomes full on drifting.

(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG