The online racing simulator
Quote from The Moose :There should be a bit of code that picks up the words "blue flag" in your text and spectates you immediately for using it

haha, that could actually be possible. Don't some servers kick people automatically for swearing?
It is stupid to shout "get out of my way", but blue flag drivers should have some common sense too.

Fact is, if a driver is lapped, then he is going MUCH slower than the guy behind - doesn't matter if he joined mid-race. Moreover, when drivers have to pit in race things become even worse. Example scenario(based on real "story"): I am fighting for 1st place, the other driver pitted already.. I'm trying to get some time so I can exit pits later in 1st place, but I am stuck behind blue flag driver that is going ultimately slow. The track is fe club and we are after T1 - the chicane - he is super slow yet I'm so close that I have to slow down to not crash him.. I try to pass on the outside on uphill leading to next corner, but i get blocked to right and pushed to the grass.

That is the main problem, when blue flag drivers block and fight as if they had a chance to overtake the driver that is lapping them. I can live with those who not let pass clearly, but those who literally block even if their driving is very slow? Ehh.. Well anyway, the scenario I wrote - I finished the race 2nd, because I lost a lot of time behind that blue flagged driver.

What I do when I get blue flagged? I check my mirror and map to see how close the driver behind is, when he gets close I leave him space to pass in first safe place on the track. Why? Because I know I'm much slower when I'm being blue flagged, and that by blocking that driver, I can only ruin his race and make him enjoy live for speed less.

Cheers, Kamkor
Why do drivers who are being blue-flagged fight? Because they are running their own races... It's a simple fact. If you can't see it, you're either ignorant, or have a big ego. Also, people who spam are just as bad as people who expect others to dive off the road and let them through in the middle of a chicane...

DK
Would people rather the car in front sit reading the chat bar rather than looking in their mirrors?
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Why do drivers who are being blue-flagged fight? Because they are running their own races... It's a simple fact.

I think it's the other way. If blue-flagged driver is so slow that he is lapped, he will maybe try to prove himself to the driver that is lapping him? "Oh I'm slower by 1 lap, but I'm much faster, oh oh go away!" :ices_rofl
Quote from Crashgate3 :Would people rather the car in front sit reading the chat bar rather than looking in their mirrors?

Some doesen't do either of those
Let me give you an example:

You are in 11th place, fighting with the 10th and 12th placed cars in a battle, and the leader comes up, with a very similar skin.

Under those circumstances, it's easy to mistake which car is which. Especially when most of the racers I've spoken to don't run with the HUD on.

DK
Then you certainly can't defend blue-flagged drivers that do not fight for any place in front. And those are the drivers I've meant in my previous post. Ofcourse things get more complicated when there are blue-flagged drivers that have a race in front. I should have been more specific.

Cheers
I hardly ever use the blue flag text, but when I do it's when someone refuses to get out of the way when I'm fighting somebody. If it's just me he's blocking and he is a bad driver, ill get him sooner or later.

I don't spam, but every now and then I let the OTHER drivers know that me and the guy(s) I'm racing are blocked by somebody being lapped, hoping I get more support when I kickvote him.

The kicking is more or less a way to get his attention. These types usually join midrace, don't look at the minimap, dont read the blue flag notices, usually ruin a great race, break way too early, making you crash on him and then you get sworn at for hitting him, or, if you manage to pass him, he figures he can outbrake you and then crashing you in the next corner... or cutting a corner and leaving tyres all over the track...

The kickvote is a way to open a conversation with this kind of driver
I've had races where I've joined late and overtook someone who although slower than me, was a couple of laps ahead. As soon as I've (fairly easily and cleanly) got past them they've *immediately* spammed 'BLUE FLAG!!! LET ME PAST!!!!1111oneoneeleven'.
Quote from Crashgate3 :I've had races where I've joined late and overtook someone who although slower than me, was a couple of laps ahead. As soon as I've (fairly easily and cleanly) got past them they've *immediately* spammed 'BLUE FLAG!!! LET ME PAST!!!!1111oneoneeleven'.

I tend to loose a second or two every lap just by the distraction of having someone messing with me, knowing he has no "right" to do so (being a lap behind).
You dont want to risk going of in a fight with someone getting a blue flag.

I have been criticized in the chat for being slow after i told someone he should have moved over.
But he didnt understand he was the reason i was slow.
I won the next race and he didnt comment..

If you come barging in a race late, please respect those that has been there from the start.
Its more a question of respect and being well-mannered than a RULE thing.
Quote :I've had races where I've joined late and overtook someone who although slower than me, was a couple of laps ahead. As soon as I've (fairly easily and cleanly) got past them they've *immediately* spammed 'BLUE FLAG!!! LET ME PAST!!!!1111oneoneeleven'.

Whilst it can be frustrating waiting for a slower car, the fact is they are racing and as a mid race joiner you are just practicing. You should award them some respect to carry on racing even though they are not as fast. They may be trading time with the car infront/behind them, and your overtake will cost them a few seconds ... and you are just having a practice ready for the next race. How cool is that? I dont think its very cool at all.

I think the only fair thing for a mid race joiner to do is to keep well clear of those who are in the race.

This is different to the genuine blue flag scenario, in my personal opinion, where a leader can expect to loose time passing a backmarker - but of course if they are an LFS leader they expect to loose time whilst demanding that they dont ... Having said that, if real racing drivers could speak to each other whilst racing, i'm sure the things said in LFS' chat window would be very true to life ...
Quote from Becky Rose :the fact is they are racing and as a mid race joiner you are just practicing.

Says it all actually...

I continue my sporadic campaign:

BAN ALL RACERS FROM CHATTING. END SPAM NONSENSE NOW.
Quote from nihil :

I continue my sporadic campaign:

BAN ALL RACERS FROM CHATTING. END SPAM NONSENSE NOW.

Block messages?
What's stupid is peoples spamming blue flags on drift server, I mean why the hell do you need to overtake when you can't even follow the guy?!
i faced a similar problem the other night while practicing for the ATC GP. i was spectating Franky ( i think) and it was lap 3/6 @ blackwood. i saw the guy leaving the pits and franky met him as he exited the pit lane. franky just got out infront of him (inches) and the guy just drove straight into him. then he spammed SRY (i mean if you can't even spell the word, don't use it) i then went on to tell him to check the mini map before entering the track, only to recieve mor e "SRY" spams. i let it go and i joined in on the next race. guess what? same thing happened but this time to me. we were racing away and there was like 3 seconds between 1st-3rd (gag 1st, franky 2nd and me 3rd). it was like grounhog day. the guy just rammed into me @ T1 (from the pits) and again all i got was "SRY" spams. i gave him the same warning and then he telepitted and waited until gag and franky were comming round to complete another lap (by this time i went to spectate to watch the guy). he miss-timed his exit by about 3 seconds. then he left after about 3 corners.
this is the stuff that does my head in big time.
getting back to the topic.
if i am blue flagging a car infront, i just flash the lights a few times to let the driver know that one of us thinks it is a good time to give way. i never spam (sometimes i would say "beep beep m8" ) but i usually crash because i have to type it.
if i am blue flagged i still drive flat out until the leader is within 0.32 (slipstream). if i am at a corner i will not hit the apex but i will take the widest line to give him/her minimum hold up. if it's on a straight i use 90% throttle so that i lose minimum time against any positions behind me. what makes me laugh is the people who say that when they are blue flagged they just drive on and it is the leaders problem to pass. surley this is cowpat? has nobody ever heard of the 3 flag rule? (just because lfs can't flag a driver like this, doesn't mean the flags get ignored)
ignoring the blue flag has to be in the top 5 "don't do's" in lfs
Quote from dadge :i faced a similar problem the other night while practicing for the ATC GP. i was spectating Franky ( i think) and it was lap 3/6 @ blackwood. i saw the guy leaving the pits and franky met him as he exited the pit lane. franky just got out infront of him (inches) and the guy just drove straight into him. then he spammed SRY (i mean if you can't even spell the word, don't use it) i then went on to tell him to check the mini map before entering the track, only to recieve mor e "SRY" spams. i let it go and i joined in on the next race. guess what? same thing happened but this time to me. we were racing away and there was like 3 seconds between 1st-3rd (gag 1st, franky 2nd and me 3rd). it was like grounhog day. the guy just rammed into me @ T1 (from the pits) and again all i got was "SRY" spams. i gave him the same warning and then he telepitted and waited until gag and franky were comming round to complete another lap (by this time i went to spectate to watch the guy). he miss-timed his exit by about 3 seconds. then he left after about 3 corners.
this is the stuff that does my head in big time.
getting back to the topic.
if i am blue flagging a car infront, i just flash the lights a few times to let the driver know that one of us thinks it is a good time to give way. i never spam (sometimes i would say "beep beep m8" ) but i usually crash because i have to type it.
if i am blue flagged i still drive flat out until the leader is within 0.32 (slipstream). if i am at a corner i will not hit the apex but i will take the widest line to give him/her minimum hold up. if it's on a straight i use 90% throttle so that i lose minimum time against any positions behind me. what makes me laugh is the people who say that when they are blue flagged they just drive on and it is the leaders problem to pass. surley this is cowpat? has nobody ever heard of the 3 flag rule? (just because lfs can't flag a driver like this, doesn't mean the flags get ignored)
ignoring the blue flag has to be in the top 5 "don't do's" in lfs

I understand you're point after the guy spammed it continuously, but your comment that people should not say "sorry" if they can't spell it right, i have to disagree with. If you're racing and you honestly are sorry for whatever reason, it is a hassel to "t sorry". Much easier to type "t sry".
Quote from ans7812 : If you're racing and you honestly are sorry for whatever reason, it is a hassel to "t sorry". Much easier to type "t sry".

he was spamming it so it was a bind imo. but i do understand what you are saying. but sorry becomes less of a word if you show that you have "SRY" binded. i mean come on, just add the other two letters. someone saying SRY (to me) shows that they have been in these situations before and have made that bind for their convienance. and by doing so shows that they are'nt really sorry, only pressing a key. similar to the "i'm only 13 so it's ok" thing that was going on in this forum the other day.
to do it once and say SRY is ok. but to do the exact same thing only one race later is unexcusable imo
Quote from FredrikB :Block messages?

LOL

Yes, of course (and it amazes me how many people post about the blue flag spammers without ever just blocking those fools out....), but it would stop these daft in-race arguments if there was at least an option to reserve the chat channel for spectators only.

BTW my other sporadic campaign is:

FFS STOP APOLOGISING FOR EVERYTHING
Quote from FredrikB :Block messages?

Some messages you want to see. A "thank you" goes a long way in my book when I am blue flagged and let someone by. I'm not one who is of the same arguement that "sry" or "sorry" shouldn't be used. It's when it is used such as dadge stated. If I make a huge mistake taking someone else out, I don't chatbind a sorry, I type it out with more than just "sorry". It allows the other racer to recover himself and allows me to let him have his position on me back. The "sorry" and continuing on is what needs to disappear.

In Dadge's case, there shouldn't have even been an incident for the other driver to bindchat "sry". He shouldn't have been in that situation, not once, not twice, but three times from what I can gather from dadge's post. It isn't too hard to sit in the garage and watch the map for the track to be cleared before entering. It is inexcusable for an accident to happen to a racer from a mid-race joiner.
I have chat bound the word 'sorry', but that isnt what makes my sorry sincere. If my sorry is sincere then I let the other racer through: Say sorry with actions not words.

However there are times i'm just not sure, so i'll fire off either a sorry or a 'sorry if it was my fault, grrr if it wasnt' hotkey and i'll keep on racing.

There's nothing intrinsicly wrong with sorry being easy to say. It's only a problem when it lacks any sincerity.
i thik once the flag system in lfs is improoved things like this will no longer happen. (10 second stop go for ignoring flags) just like in most RL races, if you don't yield after the 3rd blue flag your penalised. we're getting there (false starts) but until the flag system is fixed we will just have to rant about it on the forums
Quote from dadge :i thik once the flag system in lfs is improoved things like this will no longer happen. (10 second stop go for ignoring flags) just like in most RL races, if you don't yeild after the 3rd blue flag your penalised. we're getting there (false starts) but until the flag system is fixed we will just have to rant about it on the forums

I certainly would entertain this idea, but the system needs to be changed to where it is based on laptimes rather than just x amount of time/distance the leading car is to the almost lapped car. If you pitstop and pull out ahead of the leaders coming, that doesn't neccessarily mean you are a slower car. As it is, you will be getting the blue flag in this situation when you really shouldn't. It complicates things when pitstops are involved as on a short track, I certainly could be battling the leader, yet be ready to go a lap down if I pitstopped first and he has to pitstop later.
aye, the whole blue flag system needs some serious work done to it. imo you should only see the BF text if the leader is (A) faster than you and catching up. (B) within 0.50 seconds behind you.
maybe for the first corner you would see Blue Flag 1, and on the 2nd corner you would see Blue Flag 2 and then Blue Flag 3. anything after that would be a penulty (Drive through, stop-go or spectate for constant ignoring)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG