The online racing simulator
#1 - J.B.
F1 2011: fuel flow rate limit, moving aero, auto compensation of lost downforce
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60207
http://www.fia.com/sport/Champ ... /F1/formula_one_2011.html

Didn't see some of those ideas coming. Some interesting stuff.

I think the FIA are fundamentally thinking in the right direction. F1 cars need to be faster in corners than Formula Fords, downforce is the only way to do this, but downforce causes huge problems for racing itself ---> FIA floor with turbulence sensor and auto ride height adjustment.
I agree - I think these regs look very encouraging. They were saying they were going to limit revs which was sad. Now we are gonna get 1300cc turbos that rev to 17000 - awesome!
this sounds fun turbo wars
why dont they simply control the fuel and air intake instead of completely mandating the engine size ... again
still on the course to get more and more ridiculous
Quote from Shotglass :why dont they simply control the fuel and air intake instead of completely mandating the engine size ... again
still on the course to get more and more ridiculous

I think they will be doing that too. I think what is said is that the co2 and fuel limits will probably result in 1300-1500cc turbo charged engines.
Yay, no more turbos, movable aerodynamics, reduced enigne capacity, and 'greener' fuel.
I think I'd stop following F1 if this happens.

By all means make it greener. By all means make it more exciting. By all means slow them down a bit. But I really don't want hatchback engines tuned up in F1 cars, or any of the other silliness.

3.0 litre engines (no restriction on V angle or number of cylinders, but has to remain constant all year).
Slick tyres (of current dimensions)
Wide track (pre-'98) suspension
Restriction of winglets and flow conditioners.
Much tougher testing on flexible aero (for safety)
No driver aids - therefore use customisable but 'standard' ECUs
Max fuel flow rate (thus controlling 'Energy In').
Allow energy recovery systems.
Keep rear wheel drive - we want F1 to be exciting, and 4WD wouldn't be.
No push-to-pass or similar aids
Remove mid-race refuelling
Allow qualifying on low fuel. Perhaps even qualifying tyres!
Legislate front/rear wing dimensions and positions, along with diffuser sizes and underbody aerodynamics to reduce unbalancing of following cars.
Carbon offset road tyres by using old tyres much more around a track, so that runoffs don't have to be six miles wide, allowing the spectators to see the cars.

And so on and so on.
Highly tuned 4 pots can sound great too though mate. Yeah sure not like the V10s/V8s but I still think they will scream.

Remember the E30 M3? 4 Pot engine but take it down a narrow built up street at high revs and it sounds awesome.
Apart from the four cylinder limit, this sounds like my dream for formula one come true. Turbo engines, moveable aero and ground effect - should be mental
OK then, here is the Formula Duke TM idea, 1.1

Engines, chassis and supply.
  • 2 litre twin turbo engines based on road car 2.0 turbos. Let's say 650hp (I think that's a sensible amount, unless more could be wrung out) as an absolute power cap (air restrictors or some form of sensor on the driveshaft, one of Bernie's brainiacs might find a way to enforce it that's even better),
  • Homogolation of engines and chassis. The engine design must last 1 year, the chassis design may only be updated every three years.
  • More cost control on chassis by allowing full customer chassis and a "must supply price" rule.
  • Marginally wider track
Aero
  • Ground effect
  • No aerodynamic appendages inside the wheelbase
  • Very limited front and rear wings
Tyres
  • Fat-ass slicks
Electronics
  • TC is banned
  • All cars must have on-board electric starters as opposed to the pnumatic drill up the ass
  • Keep the sequentials but 6 speed
Others
  • New rule - the only system on the car that can propel it forwards is the wheels being moved by the engine. No KERS.
  • 2 heats on Saturday instead of quali
  • No teams limit
To be honest I hope they stop messing up F1. It becomes more of a circus act than a race event. I'd rather have the V10's back. No more racing-aids etc. But I guess it's already too late for that...
Not sure about this really, definitely don't like the idea of FIA supplied undertrays and not really sure what to make of active aero, I like the idea of freedom for designers to explore active aero, assuming failsafe mechanisms can make it safe. What I don't like is this turbulence sensor thing that seems to have the possibility to give more downforce round corners and less drag down a straight to the car behind in a kind of arcade game catch up type power boost.

Quote from duke_toaster :
  • Homogolation of engines and chassis. The engine design must last 1 year, the chassis design may only be updated every three years.

No!! That goes against the entire point of F1, it is meant to be the pinnacle of motorsport, mainly in engineering terms, and hopefully producing good racing at the same time, the idea that you can't develop the car is ridiculous and would just further trivialise F1s technological significance. As for what you said about engines, the idea of trying to measure power output is just silly, no race series has ever managed to get a reasonably flaw proof power classing, or even measuring system as it's so exposed to cheating. I can understand the need to downsize in the whole Green bollocks (and accept that KERS may be another way to please the idiots) but why this insistence on using production based engines. Allowing radical new designs is far more likely to actually end up producing new technologies that filter down to road cars, it's hardly as if BTCC or WRC cars have had any impact on modern engine design is it?

Quote :
  • All cars must have on-board electric starters as opposed to the pnumatic drill up the ass

On grounds of what? Most single seater race series (including F1 AFAIK) require some method of restarting the car, and most carry a starter motor and to state the blindingly obvious all carry a battery, so they can officially at least start the engine without a slave battery, in reality these cars have small batteries and no alternator so they can manage one or two starts at best without the slave, an anti-stall system like is currently used in F1 is a far better way of stopping cars getting stranded in the middle of the track.
OH NO, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

FIA are idiots/monkeys/morons, bring back the 70's, F1 drivers can't drive because they don't use H-pattern shifters, I'm not going to watch F1 anymore, global warming is a myth, BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH, WAH WAH WAH WAH.

I think that just about covers everything. Shall we close the thread now?
Formula One, It needs to act like the world power it is.

I want to see drivers going at break neck speed for position, I want to see over taking! Is this so much to ask?

I don't care if it's a W16 engine that has 8 turbo charges.
I don't care if it's a car that uses 20 gallons a lap.
I don't care if it's not going to help my road car in some way. (Because, Formula One DOES help the road car in many ways even today. Any R&D Helps.)
But, if F1 don't help road car, it is wasting money for nothing
F1 is not just a Sports, it is also are Lab
I like those ideas. I don't see a problem with small forced induction engines. They can produce power figures the same as any other larger displacement engines. I know Honda i4's and Dodge's 2.4liter i4 have been dyno'd to over 800hp (846 for Dodge 2.4, with about 500Ft-lbs with a 7500 redline IIRC, not sure what the honda engine was on)

They are already down to a 2.8 liter V8, a 2.4 liter i4 would sound a whole lot meaner than the engines now, you wouldn't get the revvs but they would sound a bit like a real car again. If you check piston size a 2.8 V8 would have the same dimensions as a 1.4 i4, so even though they are V8's at the very basics it's two 4's put together. There are lots of technical bits in between but displacement is displacement and there is only 1 way to get that, piston size and stroke, which along with heads gives you most of the exhaust notes.

Quote from scania :But, if F1 don't help road car, it is wasting money for nothing
F1 is not just a Sports, it is also are Lab

=)
Quote from scania :F1 is not just a Sports, it is also are Lab

yes and no
it should be more like toyland for the engineers than a controlled lab environment
ie they should be able to do whatever they see fit rather than be resticted in their thinking
Quote from Shotglass :yes and no
it should be more like toyland for the engineers than a controlled lab environment
ie they should be able to do whatever they see fit rather than be resticted in their thinking

Yes
:edit: F1 engiens are not 2.8 liters, they are 2.4 V8's with a 98mm max bore and a 39.7mm stroke. Or the piston size and stroke of a 1.2 i4.

"While there is currently an engine freeze that effectively bans constructors from developing new engines, there is much speculation on the engine regulations once the freeze is lifted. The FIA and FOM have made statements indicating that both want F1 to be more environmentally friendly and at the same time, be on the front line of future engine development. There is also speculation of a return to turbocharged engines based on comments made by the FIA on finding ways to effectively harness waste heat energy from the cars exhausts. The FIA could introduce 2.2 litre turbocharged V6 engines running on biodiesel in 2011, restricted to 10,000rpm and capable of enduring five Grand Prix, to attract generalist automakers with resembling products.[8] This could come along the introduction of traction control, four-wheel drive, power boost devices and identical bodywork to save on aerodynamic competition lacking real-life applications."

Wouldn't want to see TC but the engines sound reasonable. Who in a real car would use a 2.4liter V8 with an almost 20k redline?
I doubt any production road car uses a 1.2 engine with such a vast bore and tiny stroke. I think you'd find that most are around 75mm for both
Well probably not, but it's the same displacement =) Still, why create engines if the technology being developed isn't used in anything production wise.

If there is I was wrong and will shut up.

I just want to see F1 change.

Curious, what has come out of F1 technology wise? (genuinely curious)
Quote from Viper93 :Curious, what has come out of F1 technology wise? (genuinely curious)

Well there is one little thing, perhaps you've heard of it? It's called "The Internet".

I reckon it's gonna be big.
Quote from sam1600 :Well there is one little thing, perhaps you've heard of it? It's called "The Internet".

I reckon it's gonna be big.

Hehe The internet has been around since the 60's and the idea started in MIT.
I thought Al Gore invented the internet?
Quote from Viper93 :Curious, what has come out of F1 technology wise?(genuinely curious)

Faster cameras.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG