Getting startet, how to learn to drive...
hello, i have a question about learning tracks and the specivic cars.

i have experience with the XFG on Blackwood (Demo) and went on with oval racing with the FO8. my experience was, it is something completly different, and on top of that, after chaging to XFG back from FO8 i could not drive XFG anymore.

is there a good way of learning all the tracks and driving with all kind of cars? or can some cars be summarized in a group of cars?

or is it only possible to be good with one car on one specific track?
but i guess that is boring.

so my goal is: drive on multiple tracks with different cars, and be able to keep up good racing.

is the training tour a good way of reaching that goal?
Simply practice. Drive lots of cars, on lots of tracks until you are competative in each one. To start with, learning a new car will slow you down in others as you have to relearn braking points, corner speeds etc, but in time you'll find that it only takes a lap or two to reaquaint yourself with a particular car.
Servas

I can see how after the general Demo-slowness you wanted to experience the fastest S2 has to offer (FO8 on Oval), but trust me, it's really really boring after a while and the behaviour of the common oval racer is much worse than the average racer on other tracks.

It's exactly that trend that all newbies (who mostly cannot control the FO8 or similar powerful cars) flood the oval servers, resulting tons of restarts before finally a start without crash happens. This made people on oval servers pretty tight arsed about such things, and a kick/ban is much easier to "earn" than on normal servers. Personally, I avoid these servers like the plague.

My advice, find a combo you like, practice on it until you get good or bored of it, then find a new one. Don't stick to just one combo, and only drive combos that you like. My tip: the FOX is great fun on many tracks and is reasonably controllable (where the FO8 is overkill, only pros should drive it).

Practice much, and after a while you will gain enough car control and feel for LFS to be able to drive every combo reasonably fast. No WR times but competitive times should be possible. I usually get somewhat good times after 20 laps, and that is just a few races mostly.

PS: when you try a new combo on a crowded server, start from the pits or from the very end of the field. It really makes no sense to ruin the others races because you don't know the combo at all
#4 - D34N0
:iagree:

I've been playing LFS for 18 months and still leaning but thats a good thing.. Practice is the main thing and lots of it, but when you find that sweet lap it's a great feeling. The best way is to start with the slower cars and get a feel for the handling then work your way up the cars.. That way you will appreciate how to handle and drive the faster cars.

But most of all Enjoy the racing, stay clean, have fun and you will get a sense of satisfaction from the game.

Have Fun
Dean
Start with the slower cars, or with those who are realitve easy to handle, like the XF GTI, FXO Turbo or FOX. Ask the people for setups or any help, they'll help you.

The important thing is that you are able to control your car, fast laptimes come later.

There are also many other ways to get setups:
- http://setupfield.teaminferno.hu/
- http://www.lfsforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26

For learning the track you can take a look at the hotlaps on LFS World to see the racing line and get a little help with the brake points.

3j
thx. for your replies. i've already tried out some cars in single player, and progressing in the trainingprogram. FOX is real fun! also the 4WD car, don't know the name though ))
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
methinks i will always be practicing!

i dont think anyone out there is a complete driver :P

i find the best way is like what has been said, variety is key. but dont vary it too quickly. i find it best to do at least an hour's driving on a particular combo to get anywhere near consistant on it.

also, as a gauge as to your speed, look at the WR and aim to get within say 4-5 seconds of that time. this is very much dependant on your skills and the combination as on some tracks it is alot easier to come within 1second of WR. also use your fellow racers to gauge your speed, if there is a ver fast driver on a server, maybe ask for his setup, but also spectate his driving. that way you can see the right angles for each corner, the speeds and the correct gear.

one other point - there isnt alot of point practicing on a crappy setup, make sure you at least have a good/comfortable setup for your car.
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
Just calm dowm, easy on the gas pedal and try to follow the racing line with wide exits of the track. Yes, can be sound easy but is not really true this!! Anyway from S1 to S2 I found to drive the cars a little bit more easy, not the massive understeer of the S1 versions.
#9 - Gunn
My advice is to choose 3 or 4 cars and concentrate on learning those. Chances are you will know your favourite LFS cars soon enough anyway.

Track knowledge is very important for fast lap times and clean racing. Each track offers its own unique challenges. Learn every inch of your favourite tracks. The good thing about track knowledge is that it is transferable to any of the cars. Learn the best lines, find all of the bumps and lumps and see how hard you can push each car through these trickier bits. The more familiar you become with a track, the faster you will go. Learning your favourite tracks in reverse direction can also give valuable insight into some of the more difficult turns and sections.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG