The online racing simulator
CTRA-like Class System
(14 posts, started )
CTRA-like Class System
CTRA is a great system and I can’t wait for it to come back, but towards the end I was getting tired of driving on street tires, especially with the silver/gold cars. In addition the GTRs and Mini-GTRs have been quite popular on ConeDodgers’ servers lately, so I was thinking of a CTRA-like system for the race cars.

This system would have a class system, with a class for the XFR and UFR, and a class for the XRR, FZR, and FXR. These cars would race on the same server and people would start in the slower class and earn points to be able to race in the faster class. I am currently thinking that the points for each class should be independent. For example, there would be a point leader for each class.

Some other notes:
- Starting grid would have to be reordered so that all of the cars in the faster class start before the cars in the slower class, regardless of finishing order. This will reduce the headache for the faster cars in T1.

- Cars within each class should be balanced for each individual track using the intake/weight restrictions. This could be done automatically based on WR’s or best race laps, or whatever.

- Strict blue flag enforcement when a faster car is lapping traffic. It should actually be quite easy to pass though, as the GTR cars are much faster than the Mini-GTR cars and the drivers in the faster class should be experienced.

- Race slots would have to be allocated so that the entire field of 32 cars would not be one class. Ie, something like there can be no more than 24 cars in a class or something.

Anyways, just floating this idea out there looking for some feedback. I currently do not have a server, but have quite a bit of programming experience (not with InSim though) and could probably get a very simple system together for this.
#2 - Slopi
Quote :Starting grid would have to be reordered so that all of the cars in the faster class start before the cars in the slower class, regardless of finishing order. This will reduce the headache for the faster cars in T1

Regardless of how fast you are, it's still your responsibility to pass slower cars safely, not reorganize the game to get them out of your way.

Quote :Strict blue flag enforcement when a faster car is lapping traffic. It should actually be quite easy to pass though, as the GTR cars are much faster than the Mini-GTR cars and the drivers in the faster class should be experienced.

Strict enforcement according to who? There are many different opinions on how people should observe a blue flag rule.

Yes, I do want more cars in the CTRA system though. That'd be great
I think that would end in carnage.

Inexperienced racers in the big GTR class, and the little GTR class on the same public server would surely end in tears.
Quote from Slopi :Regardless of how fast you are, it's still your responsibility to pass slower cars safely, not reorganize the game to get them out of your way.

Le Mans used to reserve the first 5 rows for the fastest class regardless of qualifying times.
#5 - Spils
I wouldn't mind seeing a GTR license either. I enjoyed my short time on stcc and CTRA. Ive moved to cone dodgers while CTRA's down nice enough server but it just doesn't have the same sportsmanship and quality of racers i saw on ctra and stcc.

An LX license wouldn't go a miss aswell imo. i can never find a decent server to do some lx4 racing.
Almost identical to what is going to happen in the new CTRA. Have you got our forum access or something? lol.
Quote from Becky Rose :Almost identical to what is going to happen in the new CTRA. Have you got our forum access or something? lol.

GREAT!! I want to earn points while racing race cars!
Quote from TheWankel :GREAT!! I want to earn points while racing race cars!

Patience my young padawan... patience =)
#9 - Spils
Quote from Becky Rose :Almost identical to what is going to happen in the new CTRA. Have you got our forum access or something? lol.

Are you guys going to be adding a LX class 2 maybe throw the RAC in to the mix ? lx4 for new racer lx6 and RAC for licensed racer maybe ? or RAC and FZR license/class ?

Its so hard to find a decent server running these cars.
#10 - Jakg
We already did, we had an LRF server where you could drive the LRF's at Gold and the LX4 at Silver.

It stayed empty.
Quote from TheWankel :- Starting grid would have to be reordered so that all of the cars in the faster class start before the cars in the slower class, regardless of finishing order. This will reduce the headache for the faster cars in T1.

Even though I do see the benefits of arranging the grid like that, I think this is sort of against the spirit of mixed class racing. If you're capable of finishing ahead of big GTRs in an XFR or UFR, you should be entitled to your place in the starting grid accordingly, because you earned that position. And likewise if you drive a big GTR and get beaten by a small one you deserve to start behind it in the next race, because you were obviously too slow. No need to reduce the headache for faster cars, imho. Instead, give the bloody talented UFR-racer the chance to finish even higher the next race and score the really big points.
Quote from Jakg :We already did, we had an LRF server where you could drive the LRF's at Gold and the LX4 at Silver.

It stayed empty.

No it didn't. I had many enjoyable hours hotlapping on that server.
#13 - SamH
The door is *not* closed to LRF CTRA servers
Quote from Linsen :Even though I do see the benefits of arranging the grid like that, I think this is sort of against the spirit of mixed class racing. If you're capable of finishing ahead of big GTRs in an XFR or UFR, you should be entitled to your place in the starting grid accordingly, because you earned that position. And likewise if you drive a big GTR and get beaten by a small one you deserve to start behind it in the next race, because you were obviously too slow. No need to reduce the headache for faster cars, imho. Instead, give the bloody talented UFR-racer the chance to finish even higher the next race and score the really big points.

I see what you mean. I was just imagining the drag race down the grid, I would think the big GTR cars would be flying by all the slower cars. I haven't ever raced in a mixed class server so I'm not really sure how it would all play out.

CTRA-like Class System
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG