The online racing simulator
What an idiot [when they pry our m/sports from our cold, dead hands]
http://www.theherald.co.uk/spo ... splay.var.1444283.0.0.php

Quote from James Porteous ([email protected]) for The Herald :There is a sport more dangerous than any other, that kills far more people than boxing and yet there are no calls for it to be banned.

Not rugby. Not equestrianism. Not even Ultimate Fighting. No, it's time to ban motorsport: not to save the drivers, who are probably at less risk of injury than footballers, but the rest of us.

Unless you're George Bush or another Halliburton henchman, you'll probably admit by now that the world is in severe danger. It's not a threat to our great-great-grandkids, something distant that will happen to someone else, but a real and present danger.

A couple of degrees more global warming will trigger catastrophe. We need to cut carbon emissions by 90% in the next 20 years or so. Cars that do 3.5 miles to the gallon are not unacceptable.

Motorsport is the most wasteful, harmful, pointless leisure pursuit on the planet. One F1 team has one-use-only wheel bolts that cost £600 each. They use about 1000 a season - such is the level of the eagerness to burn money and resources in the sport.

F1 cars - and we don't mean to pick on one branch of motorsport, but figures are more readily available - emit around 1500g of carbon dioxide per kilometre, almost nine times more than the average new road vehicle. Add in the hundreds of flights every team uses between testing and races and one recent estimate put each driver's carbon emissions for the eight-month season at 54 tonnes: more than 10 times as much as the average Briton emits in a year. That's not even counting other factors, such as the teams that have two wind tunnels running 24/7.

The faster the car, the faster it destroys the Earth - simple. Winning races and saving the planet are not compatible.

The industry is beginning to realise that their behaviour is unacceptable. NASCAR, the biggest sport in the USA, made sweeping changes to their fuel policy this season: they switched to unleaded. Seriously. The American Le Mans Series is switching to E10, a blend that is 10% corn-based ethanol (so that's just the 90% gasoline, then). The Indy Racing League is a bit better, with a fuel that's 98% ethanol. Over here, Lanarkshire Team Clyde Valley Racing, the only Scottish-owned professional team in the British Touring Car Championship, are on E85.

But biodiesel creates more problems than it solves. The price of food goes up greatly as land is used to grow crops for fuel rather than food. In some parts of Mexico the price of corn has increased 50% because of demand from biofuel producers. And the vast amounts of land necessary encourages the felling of tropical forests.

At the start of this season, Honda unveiled their new F1 car. Instead of the usual advertising and sponsor logos it has a picture of the Earth on it. Wow . . . it still does four miles to the gallon, right?

"Climate change is probably the single biggest issue facing our planet and F1 is not immune from it," trumpeted a statement from the team CEO. Ya think?

The response from one environmental group's spokesman was perfect: "We're not sure what painting an F1 car green will do for the planet, but it sounds rather like the definition of greenwash."

This practise of putting a positive spin on environmentally unsound behaviour is widespread. Oil companies spend hundreds of millions of pounds (a miniscule fraction of their profits) on adverts explaining how much they care about the planet while, er, not actually doing anything much. Motorsport is now catching up, pardon the pun.

Max Mosley, the president of the FIA (and son of British Fascist leader Sir Oswald, but that has nothing to do with this subject . . . probably) gave an interview last week on formula1.com, admitting that his sport must change.

"Formula One does not happen on another planet, so we have to adapt to reality," he said. "Cars that need 75 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres are no longer cool.

"The new FIA programme will lead Formula One into a new era. It's a matter of do or die!" (Their exclamation mark).

His plans - there were no details, just general waffle about CO2 - will, if accepted by the teams, come into effect by 2011. Hopefully, his tracks aren't covered by melted ice caps by then.

Those figures are wrong.

The most dangerous sport is Horse Racing, i'll find the source for that now.

Don't forget that he has bought the climate change myth ...
Quote from duke_toaster :

The most dangerous sport is Horse Racing, i'll find the source for that now.

No the most dangerous sport is arguing with the girlfreind.
I'm finding it difficult to disagree with him.
So... running a full F1 season is like having another 220 cars (or 3 SUVs ) on the road in terms of pollution. What's the big deal?
Well, after reading all that, I say to that man, SCREW YOU MOFO!
correct me if im wrong, but last season alonso used the same car for all the races.
would a team really throw away wheel bolts after one use but keep bodywork, wheels, electrics etc?

this guy has all the common sense and facts of a washing machine.
lol

Let them stop these big old airliners first. I live close to NATO airfield, with 20-year-old Boeings. If you have seen one of these baby's dump their kerosine..you know what I'm talking about.
Anybody know what happens to F1 tyres after a race? Surely they don't just landfill them all?
Actually, yes they do throw away the wheelnuts, because they get quite damaged by the impact wrenches.

But the total annual cost of the wasted wheel nuts is probably less than the total cost (and CO2 production) of the food scattered around the spectator area of one single grand prix circuit in a weekend.

And the wheelnuts might even be recycled, but I bet the stuff everyone throws away isn't.

So I say "BAN PEOPLE, THEY ARE BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT". Every day should be national 'Kill a Fellow Human Being Day', and within a couple of months the threat of global warming will have virtually vanished
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'm finding it difficult to disagree with him.

Yeah me too... The article raises valid points and I am also finding it very difficult to disagree. OK so by saying all Motorsport should be banned might sound extreme to the petrol heads but really do we need Motorsport?is it a necessity to our human survival? ermm No...

We are facing uncertain times over the end of this century with oil supplies slowly decreasing, our planet warming up and generally being poisoned and destroyed and we as a human race must get our priorities right.

But personally I think innovation and investment in new technologies which are cleaner is what is really needed and will keep Motorsport going I hope...

If at least the some of the major motor companies did something for the planet. We seemed to be only taking and not giving anything back... Oil companies are prime examples. *sigh*

Over the whole Nascar series, it is estimated that 2 million US gallons (7.57 million litres) fuel is burned which is quite a huge number.

Thing is people would ban everything these days if it does harm to anything and anyone, certainly though we need to curb our consumption of oil world wide....

I mean airliners burn a huge amount of fuel too so lets just ban them

edit: the thread little could be better!

mad
Quote :Cars that do 3.5 miles to the gallon are not unacceptable.

Isn't that a double negative? So does he or does he not mean that we all should have less efficient cars that do about 3 miler per gallon?

Well, joking aside. There is a point in that, but I don't like the way this global warming thing is advertised to make people guilty and panic. You got to look at the big picture, how much motorsport, which also helps to develop better greener cars, does bad on the large scale. I'd say SUVs and generally bad cars in the US are a far larger problem, not even to mention any car in China.

Talking about politics and the big picture. Finland is a country of about 5 million people, we have less habitants than average cities around the world. Still the politicians agreed on the EU politics to cut CO2 emissions even more. This will eventually mean that we have to pay extra tax on cars. Which is unreasonable as we already have the most expensive and the oldest and crappiest cars in whole Europe. We need to pay even more and feel guilty if we on the rural area actually need a car? 5 million people! Think for gosh sake, there is 6 milliard people in the world, we all 5 million could have 10 cars each and it wouldn't mean a shit. Long haired Greenpeace terrorist (yes, terrorists) will faint and shout at you if you say to own two cars.

Be gentle for the environment as an idea is smart, no doubt. But this guilt campaign blows.
Quote :Max Mosley, the president of the FIA (and son of British Fascist leader Sir Oswald, but that has nothing to do with this subject . . . probably) ....

Not that I like Max Mosley in the least, but anyone arguing green issues should know better than to throw dung like that around...

'Ecology' and the Modernizatio ... in the German Ultra-right
Quote :F1 cars - and we don't mean to pick on one branch of motorsport, but figures are more readily available - emit around 1500g of carbon dioxide per kilometre, almost nine times more than the average new road vehicle. Add in the hundreds of flights every team uses between testing and races and one recent estimate put each driver's carbon emissions for the eight-month season at 54 tonnes: more than 10 times as much as the average Briton emits in a year. That's not even counting other factors, such as the teams that have two wind tunnels running 24/7.

]

F1 has been carbon neutral for years, what more does he want?

Also, they're switching to those relatively tiny engines in the near future etc.

Finally, global warming is a natural process!
I'd rather drown from meltin icecaps than live without motorsport.

I know, I'm a jerk.
Motor racing is so deeply woven into the fabric of society. You cannot just eliminate something that has, does and will create/hold millions of lifestyles and more importantly jobs.

The money that car companies spend on racing and the kick-back they receive with better sales is a good enough reason to leave motorsports alone. Honda or Toyota or Chevrolet, not only expands their market by supporting motorsports but also develops extremely loyal consumers. These both send more and more money back into the company. Not to mention the engineers that hone their skill at race tracks and later transfer their skills and innovation to street cars.

If Honda can raise the attention of 1,000,000 people who drive cars and use consumable energy then that is well worth it. The whole idea is that Honda is keeping track of their emissions and putting that money back into development for more emissions friendly cars. While its still more of a cheap marketing ploy, good, market away, raise millions of peoples attention and more will be done than getting rid of the sport itself.

If we need to ban anything its planes.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Anybody know what happens to F1 tyres after a race? Surely they don't just landfill them all?

Years (and I mean years) ago, there was a piece on the Big Breakfast about shoes/boots you could buy that were made from the rubber of old F1 tyres, the sole and the upper.

They had a race around the garden, someone with ex-Michael Schumacher shoes v someone in ex-Damon Hill shoes.

No idea if they're still being made though.
Me too Maggot.

I think he may be overlooking the fact that the ratio of cars on the road:cars use in motorsport is a number larger than I can think of. So what if an F1 car emits 9 times the pollution a road car does, I imagine there are more than 9 times as many road cars as F1 cars.

And as said, global warming is a natural process. Granted its sped up by humans, but the earth has been warming up for years - and by years I mean thousands of years.

Looks like he's writing to get attention. People pull the 'omg cars=earth going to melt' argument out of the bag whenever they fell like it, without actually conducting any form of credible research.

In conclusion, he needs to get over it. Personally I'd be more worried about the amount of oil we have left on earth.
How many of the activities that people do are necessary to survive?
Do we really live to survive? This is not the point…

And I can see the propaganda style on this kind of “I am here to bring the truth” messages…

Yes nearly everything that burns some kind of fuel pollutes the environment but the pollution produced by motor sport activities is not even comparable with massive earth polluting factors such us air transport or hundreds of thousand factories that use petrochemicals in any way…
Quote from TiJay :F1 has been carbon neutral for years, what more does he want?

Offsetting is a total scandal tbh. I suppose if I pay someone to grow a few trees I can buy a sports car and stop recycling and go insane consumer for the rest of my life and still declare myself green, can I?

Quote from TiJay : Finally, global warming is a natural process!

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. In the meantime, I don't think burying our heads in the sand is going to do anybody any favours.

Quote from Bean0 :Years (and I mean years) ago, there was a piece on the Big Breakfast about shoes/boots you could buy that were made from the rubber of old F1 tyres, the sole and the upper.

Yeah I've seen a few recycled tyre products, but they must only be making a tiny dent in the amount of rubber that gets wasted.
#20 - J.B.
He does seem to be talking out of his ass most of the time but I agree with his general statement. Whatever your personal opinion about global warming may be, without public support there will be no motor racing. So F1 needs to make sure it regains an image of being a hi tech innovator that uses modern technology. With the engines they use now this just isn't the case. Adding some of the things Mosley is planning could change this.

Image is everything. If everything were about facts how come cars are being portrayed all the time as the cause of global warming when in fact coal power plants create far, far more co2?
Quote :Personally I'd be more worried about the amount of oil we have left on earth.

Quite right. About time people started thinking about REAL issues instead of "the earth may or may not heat up in a few thousand years and it may or may not be down to us". Also finding a cheap, alternative fuel to oil will keep the environmentalists happy.

Quote :I don't think burying our heads in the sand is going to do anybody any favours.

Neither is banning motorsport or air travel...
Quote from TiJay : Neither is banning motorsport or air travel...

I'd at least like to see the airlines not receiving subsidies and tax breaks and then posting record profits like we've seen in recent years. They're known to be a huge contributor to environmental problems, so why are we rewarding them for it? Make them operate as a business, then if they sink they sink - let market forces decide how valuable air travel is. Our government seems confident in the ability of the private sector to solve all its other problems (despite all the evidence to the contrary), so why not this one?

Motorsport is a tricky one. On the one hand it may not be a huge polluter in the grand scheme of things, but it is a very visible display of western excess. How is this interpreted in developing countries?
That wheel nut figure is ridiculous, an F1 car has four of them and keeps the same ones for a race, seeing they do 20 races a season and all non-race wheel changes will be done with a less agressive gun and torque wrench, I'll accept they go through 4 a race weekend, that's 80 a year, throw in 20 for testing and double it for two cars and you get 200 a year which I doubt they actually go through.

I think you'll find most of them will be recycled, if they're going throught them that quickly they must have thought by now to use a replacable perishable material on the areas they get damaged. So presuming they don't cross thread them they don't actually need new ones, I refuse to believe that even the wheel nuts on F1 cars cost more than £50 each, single wheel nuts are used on quite a lot of racing cars so should be manufactured in fairly large numbers.

The real bill for wheelnuts may be high but it isn't £600000 a year
Quote from thisnameistaken :

Motorsport is a tricky one. On the one hand it may not be a huge polluter in the grand scheme of things, but it is a very visible display of western excess. How is this interpreted in developing countries?

Motorsport is not one homogeneous thing: is club hillclimbing the same as Formula One?

For instance, if we consider Iran to be part of the "developing world", then motorsport, as well as being popular, is also the site of real social debate, the likes of which are unknown over here: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/110979.html
Quote from Bean0 :Years (and I mean years) ago, there was a piece on the Big Breakfast about shoes/boots you could buy that were made from the rubber of old F1 tyres, the sole and the upper.

They had a race around the garden, someone with ex-Michael Schumacher shoes v someone in ex-Damon Hill shoes.

No idea if they're still being made though.

Must've been quite a while ago, as F1 tires actually have 0% Rubber anymore, actually haven't for quite some time.

Anywho, as long a Motorsport strives to move the industry forwards (as it has in safety and efficiency for the past century), it will remain relevent. Regenerative braking will be introduced in F1, and will lead to the improved efficeny of the the hybrid road cars that use this technology.

In early 90's, FIA banned CVT (continuously variable transmissions) from F1, after the William's team had a particularly sucessful test of one. The cvt's can produce more performance and better economy (dependant on driving conditions). Since the ban, CVT's are just now becoming accepted in road cars, 15 years later. Imagine if F1 had lead the way, CVT could be commonplace by now. (Just imagine an F1 race if the cars stayed between 18,000 and 20,000 RPM with barely any change in tone, screaming the entire way round). Anywho, this is one example of thumbs down to the FIA, but how motorsports can help the industry. Big thumbs up for diesel development Audi, and running pure Ethanol IRL.

Anyway, all of motorsports in less than a drop in the bucket in terms of world oil use. If the oil analysts doomsdaysayers are correct, it might be less of a problem than we imagine, if in 25 years we're out of oil.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG