The online racing simulator
again, you embarass yourself.... Racing beat exaust on a FC3S= +40HP
You barelty need to mod anything on a rotary to go fast. Maybe, a piggyback, a free flowing exaust, downpipe, and a ported wastegate on the turbine, and you alredy have youself 260HP. (from 200)
The truth, Rotaries are actualy VERY mod friendly.
+1, it would be extremely impressive to see the LFS's physics engine being used to simulate different types of engines. Especially a rotary.

If it had to be used in one car though, it would have to be a LMP class car or something to challenge the GTR's. We need a high revving monster of a racer
Quote from VTiRoj :+1, it would be extremely impressive to see the LFS's physics engine being used to simulate different types of engines. Especially a rotary.

If it had to be used in one car though, it would have to be a LMP class car or something to challenge the GTR's. We need a high revving monster of a racer

Next thing you know every server's going to ban it on the grounds of "unfair technology"...
/\ win!
Quote from Mako. :/\ win!

If a technology is so domineering that it's BANNED after its maiden race/victory, then it must be REALLY GOOD.

Reminds me of the old GTs that experimented with variable height rear wings which were determined to be so potentially superior to the competition that it was BANNED as continuous development brought them closer and closer to their true potential. Gordon Murray's fan car was even better, with maximum downforce coupled with minimal drag that dusted off the competition. Oh, it was BANNED after the first race/win after it went circles around the competition...

I remember someone in this forum said that racing is a meritocracy. The above 3 examples prove otherwise as racing tech is more along the lines of mediocrity after the good old yesteryears when the learning curve was vertical. Unreliability rate of 30% in 2006 even with nothing more than ultra refined dinosaur tech? If failures were mostly the result of new and radical tech that's one thing, but this?

Now THAT's mediocrity!
God, it pisses you off, doesn't it?
Quote from glyphon :best description i've heard of an unmuffled rotary engine is "god's chainsaw"

Great way to describe it. Every time I heard a car go by that night and the day after, it sounded kinda like I could hear the RX-8. My ears must have been ringing for a while.
rotarys rule, and the people who bash it are just plain mis-informed. Whats the big deal about a quart of oil every 3k miles? Its part of how a rotary works..

+1000!!
Quote from cardriverx :rotarys rule, and the people who bash it are just plain mis-informed. Whats the big deal about a quart of oil every 3k miles? Its part of how a rotary works..

+1000!!

If you don't mind carrying spare oil around with you, it's not TOO bad. The real problem with the oil consumption is the fact that the oil is either burnt or exits to the exhaust valve as unburnt hydrocarbons, both scenarios which aren't exactly brilliant for emissions control. Modern exhaust after treatment and engine management along with superior mechanical design has done a lot to severely reduce its emissions and fuel efficiency issues (no surprise), though due to the way lubrication of rotaries are done, oil consumption still leaves a lot to be desired.

Unlike some here, I recognize both the strengths and weaknesses of all engine types and appreciate them in the context of their intended application. I remember a time when diesels were seen as nothing more than noisy, smoky and underpowered lumps that have furl economy as their only saving grace. Now take a look at BMW's 2.0L turbo with 100hp/L (excellent even in comparison to a lot of turbocharged petrol engines), all the power and torque with improved fuel efficiency (not just simple economy).

http://www.motorauthority.com/ ... r-banger-diesel-from-bmw/

http://www.motorauthority.com/ ... diesel07/BMW_diesel03.jpg

Note the beautiful power curve that comes along with the sheer power and torque. What really matters is that just 5 years ago, such a diesel engine that's road legal (i.e. passes latest and future emissions tests e.g. Euro 4,5) was beyond our wildest dreams.

So what do diesels have to do with rotaries? Well, both suffer a history of relative underdevelopment compared to petrol 4 cycle engines. I just wish that companies like Mazda push the envelop and come up with rotaries that are superior to their predecessors in every way with each new iteration of rotary engines.
This thread has turned into nothing but a Wankel love orgy.

A bit hypocritical don't you think Mako?

Quote from Mako. :To all the above: clearly, you should follow the advice of someone's avatar, and remove youself from the convesration. I posted this to discuss about it being in the game. NOT about how it is to drive on the street, or reliability, or anything else.

Lol :P

Anywho, I personally couldn't care less to see the devs spend their time putting a wankel powered vehicle into LFS. I suppose it'd probably have to be done eventually, but I, personally, don't care if they're never put into the game.

Not to say they're bad engines (although I personally find them to be a tad eccentric), but that I couldn't see it benefiting LFS all that much.

It'd just be one more of the tens of LFS cars that nobody drives to begin with.

I'd much rather see the devs just change the engine characteristics of an already existing LFS vehicle to turn it into a rotary.
Quote from Mako. :
The REAL reason the wankel rotary has been banned from F1, is becasue it just was TOO ****ing fast... and people didn't like it.:thumbsdow

Oh really?

Probably more like they banned turbo's and I guess wankels don't kick enough power on their own, right? Or can a 2.4 wankel get the same power Ferrari can get out of their V8 which revs 19K ?

Why not rename the thread 'Can we get an RX7 FuddyDuddy987733' - What other car is there that has a rotary engine that is fast/famous?

And lastly what difference will it make if it reads 4POT or rotary/wankel in the garage, if you want it to sound like a rotary just mess with the sounds.
how about the mazda 787b, which is the car that won le mans. it was a NA 4 rotor (which is 2.67L, not 2.4. each rotor is 0.67L ), and produced 700hp (that's 262hp/L)

also, the rx8 is the car to have in auto-x. it completley dominates b-stock.

from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rx8
Quote :As of October 2006 the RX-8 has won at least 37 international motoring awards including 2003 International Engine of the Year, the 2003 Japanese Car of the Year, Australia's Wheels magazine's Car of the Year for 2003, the 2004 Singapore Car of the Year, the 2004 U.S. Best Sports Car, and several UK Best Car Awards. It was also named on Car and Driver magazine's Ten Best list for 2004, 2005, and 2006.

and in reviews, it consistently comes out on top of more powerful cars like the 350z. one such example
Quote from glyphon :how about the mazda 787b, which is the car that won le mans. it was a NA 4 rotor (which is 2.67L, not 2.4. each rotor is 0.67L ), and produced 700hp (that's 262hp/L)

also, the rx8 is the car to have in auto-x. it completley dominates b-stock.

from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rx8

and in reviews, it consistently comes out on top of more powerful cars like the 350z. one such example

/\ Ironicaly, this was posted by me in the FIRST POST! But people are too ignorant on here, like you have V-8 oldschool carb guys hating on imports and saying that computers are nothing more than fancy gizmos, blh blah blah.

To all that had a negative reply, first, the RX-7 club knows about you, and we're not pleased.:cards:

Second, if you seem to have this wierd dislike for something, it's been said times and times again, PLEASE, do not post. People like you are the ones that push others over the edge, saying too much shit, and either making them snap, or just go, "**** it" Personaly, I've had enough of this bullshit, this isn't worth it, arguing over the internet, you win.

All in all, this thread is about someything special, something that is a niche in the automotive world, an exclusive club of sorts, that you dont have be a star to attend, but rather have the same love for things that the rest of us share. YOU will never get it, so don't even bother trying now.

I leave you with this: http://www.RX7club.com

Scawen, I request that you please close my thread.
Quote :... if you seem to have this wierd dislike for something, it's been said times and times again, PLEASE, do not post.

Yes! For the love of god, don't post in any threads where you disagree with the OP. This is an internet discussion forum, not some place where people can share different viewpoints :rolleyes:
Quote from Hankstar :Yes! For the love of god, don't post in any threads where you disagree with the OP. This is an internet discussion forum, not some place where people can share different viewpoints :rolleyes:

Agreed.

This thread is getting really ridiculous. It's turning into a giant Wankel love afair of "omg copy paste specs of cars from wiki".
Quote from sinkoman :Agreed.

This thread is getting really ridiculous. It's turning into a giant Wankel love afair of "omg copy paste specs of cars from wiki".

you asked what rotary cars were as fast/famous as the rx-7. i answered your question, and cited my results, otherwise people would be griping about where that info came from. if this thread bothers you so much, the easy solution is, don't read it
+1 for rotaries in LFS!

Teh 7 club knows!
Quote from glyphon :you asked what rotary cars were as fast/famous as the rx-7. i answered your question, and cited my results, otherwise people would be griping about where that info came from. if this thread bothers you so much, the easy solution is, don't read it

I never asked that...

And really now, this is the internet. I'll read whatever the hell I god damn please.

Besides, I came into this thread because wankels are genuinely cool engines imo, only to find a bunch of posts stating the exact same thing over and over...

"wankel rules, everybody who disagrees sucks".
Quote from sinkoman :I never asked that...

And really now, this is the internet. I'll read whatever the hell I god damn please.

Besides, I came into this thread because wankels are genuinely cool engines imo, only to find a bunch of posts stating the exact same thing over and over...

"wankel rules, everybody who disagrees sucks".

sorry. it was rooble, that had asked the question.

and i think that it is not as much a "wankel rules, everybody who disagrees sucks" thread, but "we'd like rotaries in the game" thread, and disagreeing with the people who come in saying "rotaries shouldn't be in the game because rotaries are t3h suX0r. it burns oil and gets bad fuel economy".

yeah, they burn oil. they are supposed to. and it isn't that much oil either. it is such a slow rate of oil injection that the devs wouldn't even have to bother with modeling an oil usage system. and when did fuel economy become an issue for a racing game? the fzr gets like 4-5mpg. rotary engines actually get fuel economy close to a similarly powered v6, and produce the same emissions.

i guess it comes from people seeing it listed as a 1.3L, and thinking that it should be getting fuel economy similar to a honda fit, but if you measure the amount of air flow though a rotary, you'd find that the volume of air that it moves is somewhere between a 2.6L v6 and a 3.9L v6.

and the same things keep getting said over and over because people come in making the same arguments against rotaries, and the "problems" they bring up a pretty much non-issues, which have to get pointed out over and over.
Quote from glyphon :how about the mazda 787b, which is the car that won le mans. it was a NA 4 rotor (which is 2.67L, not 2.4. each rotor is 0.67L ), and produced 700hp (that's 262hp/L)

That's for an engine designed to survive a 24 hour enduro, NOT a firecracker F1 engine. If it was tuned for F-1 levels of endurance...

For those who already have power, all you'll want is more power and your only significant fear is the loss of power. Dominance is power, and anything that threatened the dominance of conventional 4 cycle petrol engines spends a lot of heads rolling. I haven't bothered to check yet, but I'll not be surprised if the ban on rotaries for Lemans was preceded by pleas of other teams to ban the "unfair technology"

"Unfair technology"? What is this? Racing is supposed to the purest form of meritocracy and as far as I'm concerned, it's SUPPOSED to be unfair! Remember the heydays of downforce when people were trying to exploit this unfair advantage to the max? Racing was much more exciting then as the public anticipated technically fascinating and groundbreaking cars to show up every now and then and set new benchmarks to force the other teams out of mediocrity. Not to mention the heroic drivers that tested and this new technology, boldly going where no one has gone before.

Do discerning racing enthusiasts like me want a bunch of mediocre cars with even more mediocre drivers bang and crash their way towards victory? No! I want the best drivers teamed up with the best cars. Contrary to popular belief, unfair advantages are exactly what racing needs to improve the show. I want to see the top teams to absolute dust the mediocre off the track and fight tight battles amongst themselves on the track to prove their superiority, not a just some "random" engine blowups to "add some drama".

The real advantages of rotaries are not just the huge power to mass ratios and specific power output. The greatest advantage is its sheer lack of volume, allowing packaging that others can only dream of. Front or mid engined, it's very easy to get desirable mass distribution and moment of inertia with this engine.
A semi-exotic mid-engined rotary for the TBO class, a big muscle-ish V8/V10 saloon/coupe for the LRF class, and GTR versions of both for the 400HP GTR class; the latter sitting right between the FZR, XRR, and FXR in terms of performance/laptimes.
Hmm, Wonder why is my thread is still open?

Oh well, I guess the admins have better things to do.
It's strange that people would oppose a rotary engine in LFS because real rotary engines are not good enough. Any real mechanical part's shortcomings can be fixed in its LFS iteration.
LFS isn't about reproducing real cars down to the name brand or about meticulously matching designs down to the tiniest detail, but about good racing. Variety such as that a rotary engine would add to LFS can only be good.
You pretty much summed up what EVERYONE in favour of a wankel engine being in the game were saying time and time again. Alas, we were never heard...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG