The online racing simulator
Omg Blue Flag Nonsense
(60 posts, started )
Quote from Slartibartfast :I always take the blue flag very seriously... Mid race join... sometimes we will find ourselves in a place we really don't belong. People are racing out there.

If I am a drop in the flood I do whatever it takes to stay out of the way. The worst social foul, in my head, would be to mess up a race I am not rightfully involved in.

I couldn't have said it better
Quote from DanneDA :I thing I really hate about backmarkers that are about to get lapped is that they sometimes go very slowly in a corner (slower than they usualy drive) meaning you are very likely to catch them mid-corner. What makes it worse is that it there is usually only one fast line through the corner and they're on it.

If you are about to get lapped but haven't been passed before you enter the corner, try and get through the corner as fast as you can when driving safely. If you cannot do this (ie cannot keep your normal speed through a corner with a faster car behind) - be nice, let the car behind pass before the corner.

Generally, slower people are slower through the corners (obvious, isn't it?)... Because of that, you cannot and should not be surprised when a lappee is slower through the corner... What should he have done? Coming to a halt because you, the mighty racer, were approaching? Brake and pass him afterwards ffs!
Quote from sinkoman :I drive defensively and conservatively, till the other person passes me.

Whadda ya mean you drive defensively!?!?!?
I have a bind that reads

NOOB THERE ALREADY IS A BLUE FLAG MESSAGE!

in case I come up against one of the people that think a blue flag should mean taking a extremely wide line, letting off the throttle and/or braking on a straight ETC.

It doesn't mean you should shut the door on them or run a wide line to squeeze them to the outside like you would do when racing for positon.

Quote :A light in the cockpit

A very interesting idea, current generation F1 cars have blue, yellow and red lights in the cockpit.

Quote :A waving flag

The ideal situation - that way we could have waved and held yellows and so-on with blue flags.
I don't see the issue!

You are generally aware of the car behind far before the blue flag warning, either from looking at the map (Which indicates by colour if the person is a lap ahead!) or by using your mirrors.

This gives you plenty of time to get out of the way and let them past without losing too much time yourself. I find a good meathod is to brake a tiny bit earlier and turn into the apex a bit later. That way you can still carry speed and they can get by without bother.

If you are on a straight, there really is no reason to have a problem, if you have time, move over. If not, they will find a way past you!
Anyone who spams anything along the lines of 'BLUE FLAG PULL OVER' in a race - Is a door knob, and not even a brightly coloured one at that. If you're faster you're going to overtake the person in front no matter what, if you're too incompetent or lack the nuts to do so carefully and politely then don't phucking bother.

Whenever I pass a slower car and its gone without a problem ill more often then not give the 'Good pass' message and honk the horn, just to show my appreciation for them being aware of me. I still encounter people who are not aware a car is beside them, and just turn into you as you go to overtake. Its like.. Do they think you disappear off the track once you're out of their mirror or what?
happens all the time
I know how you feel. Yesterday or the day before someone I won't name on a CRTA server bumped me off the track coming into a corner and then when I said something to them. They said I was slowing them down and was hogging the perfect line! WELL OF COURSE I WAS!! Thats where you race to go fast. Some people don't get it they think because they are going faster they are better than you. They need to realize that if they were better they shouldn't have a problem passing a slower car.
Btw folks, when I say defensive drving, I mean I drive without agression. I don't make a point to attack the line, or the track, in order to escape the guy behind me, I don't try to downshift out of the corners any sooner, I don't accelerate sooner at the apex, I just drive a normal line, without making a point to battle the corner.

And i'm glad to see i'm not the only one, I was scared for a bit that I was the one at error in these situations!
Since I am a demo racer (but hopefully I will be buying s2 tomorrow ), most of the time when a slow car is about to be lapped, BOOM, you will see 2 cars flying everywhere. When I recieve a blue flag, I race as normal on the straights, but take the high line through turns to let the lead lap car by. Even then, that lead lap car tries to get around me as fast as possible then slides up the track because he/she is overdoing it, and the result is 2 smashed up cars.
Quote from sinkoman :
And i'm glad to see i'm not the only one, I was scared for a bit that I was the one at error in these situations!

In my opinion it depends on the situation and the car class. If you drive the fast cars, GTR's, and the BF1 specially I think its better and safer for both if the backmarker moves over on the straight lift the gass a bit and let the leaders by without slowing them up in the corner.

Specially in public racing I just let people by when I'm blueflagged (mostly when I join a race after its started), but in league racing the few times I've been lapped I have done like you do.
Many types of blue flags...
There are many types and meanings for blue flags.

Taken from the Wikipedia article :
The blue flag

A light blue flag, sometimes with a diagonal orange or yellow stripe, informs a driver that a faster car is approaching and that the driver should move aside to allow one or more faster cars to pass. If the flag is waved, it indicates to the driver that the fast car is on its tail. In most series, the blue flag is not mandatory; that is, drivers obey it only as a courtesy to their fellow racers. In Formula One (in which the blue is lighter and does not have a stripe), if the driver about to be lapped ignores three waved blue flags in a row, he is required to make a drive-through penalty. In Champ Car, this can be upgraded. A pair of waving blue flags displayed from the starter's stand, known as the Chief Steward's blue flag, order a driver to give way to faster traffic or be black-flagged.

No wonder there's confusion on the LFS server about how to act when showed one!
If I get a blue flag, I wait until there is a safe, straight stretch of track and then I ease the throttle to halfway, and move over and in a predictable fashion. When I ran the LeMans League, it worked perfectly when I enforced that rule concerning blue flags.

Also, save the "blue flag" b****ing" to when the race is done. You and the other person are not the only ones who see this message, and I am willing to bet it royally screws up other peoples concentration, potentially ruining their race.

And I have said this before, people who bind blue flag messages either do not know how to drive in real life, or are quite ignorant. And I have also noticed, are under the age of 20. Not EVERYONE, but quite a few.
I think a sticky including the FIA rules regarding blue flags should be on the main page (not just in the Beginners section). To me, the amount of "blue flag xomfg" threads we get on the main page justifies it.

I know noone reads stickies wherever they are, but at least you could just point someone to it when they start a blue flag thread in future, instead having another 5-page thread about what really is quite a simple concept
Quote from Hankstar :I think a sticky including the FIA rules regarding blue flags should be on the main page ... instead having another 5-page thread about what really is quite a simple concept

To be fair we generally only manage two pages on-topic before either myself or yourself turns up with a half-baked hijack scheme.

I can't be bothered with this thread though...
I can assure you, sir, that my hijack schemes are all fully-baked.

(I'm bailing too, see you in another thread)
RE: driving 'defensively' ('consistently' would be a better way to put it.)
Attached images
Inigo1.jpg
Quote from tristancliffe :I told off N I K I the other day for spamming blue flags whilst we were driving BF1s on the Stress Test servers.

Anyone (and I mean anyone) who uses a blue flag message in game is a bad driver, and does not deserve to be racing.

You can spam blue flags? What? Is there some button I am missing here?
I think the "pros" need to stop racing as if they are doing hotlaps. It's your and my responsibility to overtake someone and not the other way around. There are exceptions of course. If the person joined mid race, they should do the right thing and give some breathing room and not push themselves as they would ordinarily do. But it it's a 35 lap race and we all started at the same time, we are all fighting for a spot at the top. regardless whether you're front pack, middle or end, you are fighting someone most of the time
(playing on w test patch that is ).
In races like that, it's your duty to pass clean and the passed ones duty not to defend. This does NOT mean getting the hell out of they way and going off roading.
To me, there's nothing worse than someone seeing a blue flag and panicking.
This usually ends bad for them, and if they REALLY panic, bad for me as well.
I'm personally one of those drivers that wait for the right time to do anything.
If I'm lapping someone, I know where I can take them and where I can draft a bit to gain the needed speed to do so quickly as possible.
If you managed to outlap someone, you should be able to make a clean and responsible pass.
Passing in a tight chicane or a tough spot is lack of braincells IMO.

Just my $0.02
One of my number one pet hates on LFS is faster guys spamming 'BLUE FLAG!!! MOVE OVER' about 5 times when they get within half a lap of a backmarker. I never do that, I let the backmarker make up their own minds about what they will do, and I will always back off if they decide to hold a line.

However there are circumstances where a backmarker really should move off the racing line. I have seen people doing 50mph on the racing line in a 100mph blind turn, and they act suprised when they are rear ended. I have also seen backmarkers take a very wide entry, looking like they are letting me past, then they just turn in as if I am a ghost they can drive through. Thankfully most people know how to act in a blue flag situation, but I think its a general problem that fast guys are not willing to back off for anything. I for one back off anytime I see a potential hazard, which might explain why I get confused with people never making it past turn 1. If you back off and allow yourself time to spot the gaps, 9 times out of 10 you will get through clean.
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :You can spam blue flags? What? Is there some button I am missing here?

Yup, the many chat-bind buttons. Some halfwit racers have "BLUE FLAG! MOVE! 3y3 AM T3H S3X!" or something similarly childish and annoying bound to a hotkey You'd think the giant BLUE FLAG message LFS puts in the middle of your screen when you're being lapped would be enough but I guess not.

On a side note, sam1600 made me rofl with this spammy nonsense ... sarcastic little bugger. Don't think anyone got the joke though - kids, go to google and type "define:irony"

FTR I renounce spam in all its forms
#46 - Tomi
I usually keep my line if there is only one leader, just raising the brake zone a little bit. I know he will easily get past me if he is faster, although it seems some people do not like it.

If there are 2 or more racers, I usually lift in the straight, in order not to ruin their fight. I use my turn signals to warn them if I want to keep an external line or if I want to change line.
How about adding it to the procedure when you first start LfS?

Like "As Live for Speed uses the standard racing flags, here is a description about all the flags and their meaning:" and then the list...
Quote from Hankstar :Yup, the many chat-bind buttons. Some halfwit racers have "BLUE FLAG! MOVE! 3y3 AM T3H S3X!" or something similarly childish and annoying bound to a hotkey You'd think the giant BLUE FLAG message LFS puts in the middle of your screen when you're being lapped would be enough but I guess not.

On a side note, sam1600 made me rofl with this spammy nonsense ... sarcastic little bugger. Don't think anyone got the joke though - kids, go to google and type "define:irony"

FTR I renounce spam in all its forms

Wow on demo i have never seen them use the chat bind

I thought you were talking about something that has BLUE FLAG on ur screen all the time

Meh.
Buy S2 and you'll see many things you never see on demo.
Muaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaaaa I got to say it again! Muaaahahaha etc ...

Quote from CharlesMartin :There are many types and meanings for blue flags.

Under FIA rules there is only one type of blue flag.

Omg Blue Flag Nonsense
(60 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG