The online racing simulator
MOMO RED grating noise
(12 posts, started )
MOMO RED grating noise
Have done a good search but only found one mention of this on another forum, and no useful advice so would be grateful if anyone has any advice.

My Momo has started to make a grating noise (sounds like the gears) only when I turn left. It comes and goes as the wheel is turned. Anyone else had this and know how to fix it? I hope it's not old age, I'm about to start a league and don't want it to die on me. And before you say it, no it's not a good excuse to buy a G25, I like my Momo!
How old is it?

Well it sounds like it could be gear slip due to wear..
I bought it off ebay a couple of years ago. It seems to be in good condition though and I've had no problems with it until now. It has had a lot of use on LFS recently though Maybe I'll pull it apart and see how it's looking inside - thanks.
Good news! It's fixed.

I took it apart, took 2 hours to get apart and back together again. I was really impressive with how well made and designed it is.

Anyway the problem wasn't hard to find, the motor had almost fallen off! The screws had worked loose. I'm actually amazed it still worked how it was. Very pleased I decided to investigae before any damage was done, the gears inside still look like new so hopefully she's got another few years of LFS left in her yet!
@ Nick ,
good to know that you fixed it . I have my third MOMO Force (red) and never had probs with any of them . And no , im not going to buy no G25 , unless my baby dies on me
I still have my Red Momo, but now a G25. But I took good care of the Momo wheel and always took it apart to clean and check the insides. Never had to buy a new one or anything, still all in very good condition. Pedal pots never faulted on me either.... and I used that wheel every single day!

I modified the pedals with a heavier/stronger spring and the joints of the pedals I always cleaned off the parts of any dust and old grease, and re-greased up with plumbers grease (lithium grease) which lasts a long time and is great for minimizing friction between two plastic parts.

I did the same for the wheel components. Always cleaned the gears and made sure everything was intact or not under any bad wear and tear. A new grease-job on the gears would make the wheel feel a bit smoother, but it always felt 'notchy'... that is just the design I guess. If you have a problem when steering in only one direction, it could very well be your motor. There is not much you can do about that really, I doubt you could find a replacement. But check the motor's condition nevertheless.

Good luck.
#7 - JJ72
Quote from Nick A :Have done a good search but only found one mention of this on another forum, and no useful advice so would be grateful if anyone has any advice.

My Momo has started to make a grating noise (sounds like the gears) only when I turn left. It comes and goes as the wheel is turned. Anyone else had this and know how to fix it? I hope it's not old age, I'm about to start a league and don't want it to die on me. And before you say it, no it's not a good excuse to buy a G25, I like my Momo!

it's the loose motor inside. the motor is only secured by three screws, and if one of them is loose, the motor will move around creating such effect.
Tweaker - thanks for the advice. I will get some lithium grease and do that at some point. I might think about buying a second Momo Red as a spare aswell if I see a good one, yesterday made me realise how distraught I'd be without it! Or maybe the G25 would make a good "second wheel"

Wildport - why do you have 3?!!?

JJ71 - think you must have missed my reply above, but you were spot on! Mine only had 2 screws though, no sign that one was missing or that the wheel had been dismantled before.
@ Nick , i dont have 3 , i have my third . The other 2 i sold , i have been looking for a brand new red momo , altough they are very very rare and finally found one . She was still a virgin when i bought it , payed 170 euros for it but it was worth every cent .

@ Tweaker , i tought about getting harder springs , or use some squash balls but i dont know whats best . I think im going to look for harder springs , altough they are hard to find over here . or i´ll just have them made
Someone had several brand new ones for sale on eBay last year I think, they only went for £80 odd IIRC. Wish I had bought one now...
Oh, the motor... Had the problem twice
But it was good to see how robust this wheel is in the inside...
Just this stupid screws get loose sometimes.
Btw, when i had the same and repaired it, i have noticed, that the wheel
became much more quiet.. I just got used to that whining by the time..
my motor also went lose, fixed it with the help of mr. murchinsons fantastic website http://www.murchisons.net/f1/ which has covered the issue with a picture for every screw you have to unsrcew. this should be a sticky in every racing sim hardware section next to the black momo pedal fix...
i must admit that i had to do this two times as i only tightened the motor screws the first time - the second time i used loctite to glue em in - no problems since then.
the build quality of the red momo is unbelivable - ok the g25 pedals are more robust, but the momos also never failed on me and i used mine since the week they hit the market.
everyone who don´t need the clutch or the 6shifter of the g25 should try to get a red momo new or in mint condition, regardless the price, up to the point a new g25 costs.

peace mo

MOMO RED grating noise
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG