The online racing simulator
A plea to fast drivers
(70 posts, started )
A plea to fast drivers
Anyone that knows me knows I'm not fast. Middle of the field usually. I admire the guys that ARE fast. Most of them are gentlemen too, they know when to pass a slower chap. Unfortunately there are some who are fast and I can only say, ungentlemanly. They'll pass you in the most inappropriate places, i.e. in the middle of a chicane or on the outside of a tight corner. If they get away with it all well and good but more often than not a collision occurs. Wouldn't you know it's always the slower guy that comes to grief! Off they charge into the distance with a dismissive 'soz'. I understand this subject has been raised many many times in these forums but the problem still persists. It happened to me tonight and I'm angry. What it comes down to, in my humble opinion, is a lack of respect for fellow races of all capabilities. You know who you are so shape up! You'll not only be fast, you'll also get the respect of everyone you're on track with.
As we say on Dead Men Racing "Racing is a non-contact sport"

Rant over.
Until every server has live marshals (or LFS gets an insanely intelligent marshalling code) this is going to keep happening. Unfortunate for sure, but I guess that's just the way some people are. The world is full of ignorant people.
Well, those bad racers don't read these forums.
... Or do they?
I think he was talking about himself.

(Fel, don't unleash your Ikea-san powers upon me)
Quote from Doorman :Anyone that knows me knows I'm not fast. Middle of the field usually. I admire the guys that ARE fast. Most of them are gentlemen too, they know when to pass a slower chap. Unfortunately there are some who are fast and I can only say, ungentlemanly. They'll pass you in the most inappropriate places, i.e. in the middle of a chicane or on the outside of a tight corner. If they get away with it all well and good but more often than not a collision occurs. Wouldn't you know it's always the slower guy that comes to grief! Off they charge into the distance with a dismissive 'soz'. I understand this subject has been raised many many times in these forums but the problem still persists. It happened to me tonight and I'm angry. What it comes down to, in my humble opinion, is a lack of respect for fellow races of all capabilities. You know who you are so shape up! You'll not only be fast, you'll also get the respect of everyone you're on track with.

Rant over.

si agree tho im normal the wipping boy when it comes to racing games , in real life well no need to brag lol
Even worse is when faster cars rear-end you, spin off themselves and then rant at you for 'being in the way'. Yes, you're not supposed to block, but you're also not supposed to off-road in the middle of a chicane just to let impatient idiots through.
What I really hate is people who overtake you by just braking late and forcing the inside line. If you complain they just say that you weren't defending your line. But even 1 milimeter of space in 1 milisecond is an opurtunity for them to sqeeze thru.

Or people who would rather try and just brake thru a pile up then actually brake.
Seems bad drivers do read the forum, as I don't know why this:
Quote from Doorman :They'll pass you in the most inappropriate places, i.e. in the middle of a chicane or on the outside of a tight corner.

would be inappropriate
Quote from kurent :What I really hate is people who overtake you by just braking late and forcing the inside line.

Sorry but in this case maybe they are really faster? It happen to me sometimes, but the result is rather that he fell from inside line to very wide outside and after that I'm still in front
Quote from Doorman :Anyone that knows me knows I'm not fast. Middle of the field usually. I admire the guys that ARE fast. Most of them are gentlemen too, they know when to pass a slower chap. Unfortunately there are some who are fast and I can only say, ungentlemanly. They'll pass you in the most inappropriate places, i.e. in the middle of a chicane or on the outside of a tight corner. If they get away with it all well and good but more often than not a collision occurs. Wouldn't you know it's always the slower guy that comes to grief! Off they charge into the distance with a dismissive 'soz'. I understand this subject has been raised many many times in these forums but the problem still persists. It happened to me tonight and I'm angry. What it comes down to, in my humble opinion, is a lack of respect for fellow races of all capabilities. You know who you are so shape up! You'll not only be fast, you'll also get the respect of everyone you're on track with.

Rant over.

Come to the GentlefootFormulaRacing server. I don't stand for that kind a 5h1*!
Quote from Doorman :

Actually, i would say racing is kinda a contact sport(depends on the class of course. In real life, bumping into each other is kinda much more reliable than within lfs where we have connection lag.

The difference in lfs is between taking risky chances and be calm and wait for the right moment. This is difficult for everyone i believe, as it's in our nature to pass slower cars I must admit that i like taking chances sometimes, and if i fail, i usually say sorry quite quickly. If we don't take any chances, we'll never learn how to overtake in a proper way. All this depends on where you are in the race of course. I allways give it a chance if i'm fighting for the lead

I guess this is something you and me learn afterwards, i'm not crashing and bumping around that much as when i started with lfs at least(i hope)
I didn't expect a response like this. Let me be clear, I'm not talking about pig ignorant wreckers, I'm talking about talented drivers who have absolutely no need for bullying tactics. There are some (who I won't name for fear of embarassing them) who are real pros. I see one of them in my mirrors and know they'll pass me in a manner that is oddly pleasurable (I'm gonna puke with all this hero worship!) and admirable. Anyway, I'm over it now. The spat out dummy has been retrieved, washed off and replaced.
@ Gentlefoot: We'll have to visit mob handed one evening. TBO the rant was because we at DMR don't usually get that kind of thing either.
@Chriskart: There's contact and contact. Do you make an attempt to avoid a collision i.e. brake hard when you're homing in on a rear end? I'll bet you do.
Quote from maczo :Seems bad drivers do read the forum, as I don't know why this:

would be inappropriate

More often than not yes. There's a tendancy to drift (and don't get all 'drifty' on me ) over to the outside and anyone with an ounce of sense will anticipate it. In fact that is what is missing with a lot of guys, 'anticipation'
What's wrong with passing at a chicane or around the outside of a tight corner? The answer is nothing!
So long as it's done carefully you can pass anywhere on a race track.
Once the overtaking driver is sufficiently alongside coming into a chicane the other driver should back off. That, most of the time is where the problem lies. People (and i get the feeling your one of them) think that there are places on a track that you shouldn't pass, that's balls! If someone gets fully along side you and is on the inside there is no reason why you shouldn't give them the right of way or even proceed to go side by side through if you trust them.
This thread should be a plea to slower drivers! Wake up!

/rant over
Quote from nikimere :What's wrong with passing at a chicane or around the outside of a tight corner?

Nothing wrong with trying a pass, but I think the thread is actually aimed at the snots who try a pass at a chicane, when the slower car has clearly already entered the turn. When it all goes pear shaped (since nine times out of ten it will in this situation), the would-be ace then gets all high and mighty about how the slower car was "in my way!"

Brats....
There should be somekind of driving lesson for gentleman driving you have to pass for racing online ^^

I like the approach of the CTRA licence system, but getting licences only thorugh points isn't the best way. There should be a global licence-system with somekind of a mixed system. You have to get the points to be permitted to perform a test of maybe 3 races under the supervision of an examiner, where you have to drive clean and good. Only after that you can race on servers using a higher licence standard.

Without that it's kinda impossible to drive races on public servers without getting kicked out in every secend race
Quote from nihil :Nothing wrong with trying a pass, but I think the thread is actually aimed at the snots who try a pass at a chicane, when the slower car has clearly already entered the turn.

Well that goes for any corner then...
Quote from nikimere :So long as it's done carefully you can pass anywhere on a race track.

Can't argue with that.

Quote :This thread should be a plea to slower drivers! Wake up!

/rant over

This smacks of the attitude I'm talking about, but I'm sure you didn't mean it to sound like that.
Quote from nikimere :Well that goes for any corner then...

Probably... But its most irritating when it happens at a chicane, particularly the one on AS club. Fast drivers hate to lift there, even if there's a car already entering the chicane.

It always ends in tears....
Quote from Doorman :This smacks of the attitude I'm talking about, but I'm sure you didn't mean it to sound like that.

No i didn't, i just think you could have aimed who were targeting at a little better. By the sounds of it you have a problem with careless drivers, not fast ones Please don't tar everyone.

Quote from nihil :Probably... But its most irritating when it happens at a chicane, particularly the one on AS club. Fast drivers hate to lift there, even if there's a car already entering the chicane.
It always ends in tears....

Just a sign of carelessness, nothing else. I don't like careless drivers either.
I believe chicanes were made to slow down, although a lot of chincanes in LFS are done almost at full speed .

It's never a good idea to pass on a chicane...if something goes wrong, it's very stupid to start blaming...chicanes are not meant to have cars side by side.
Quote from nikimere :No i didn't, i just think you could have aimed who were targeting at a little better. By the sounds of it you have a problem with careless drivers, not fast ones Please don't tar everyone.

From first post:

Quote from Doorman :I admire the guys that ARE fast. Most of them are gentlemen too, they know when to pass a slower chap. Unfortunately there are some who are fast and I can only say, ungentlemanly.

How much clearer could he have been?
#25 - CSU1
I just wish LFS was like GTA sometimes> press V(venga!) and my guy jumps out of his car and drags the other driver from his car and kicks the shite out of him ....and then he dies! and cant race no more:tombstone :uglyhamme

A plea to fast drivers
(70 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG