The online racing simulator
LFS Instant Messenger & CD Player
(86 posts, started )
Quote from Sternendaal :Game Maker!

Have to make a "game" with that piece of s*** for school, so yeah, it really is.

lol, i once made a bouncy game with that but now i try dx studio(works with javascript)
#27 - Jakg
thats the last screen- its the menu - i've tried each one, either it fails to connect to whatever it was trying to connect to, or asks me to input a server adress or asks me to host my own - i really doubt someone who thought a P3-based PC was a bargain at £200, or who stabbed himself in the thigh with a pencil would understand TCP/IP stuff
Quote from The Moose :Good god, do you think I'm thick as sh*t.
I did.....then it said "this file has been deleted"

No I don't think that. I just often catch myself thinking "Great, another fancy 404 page" only to find a tiny textbox somewhere where you have to enter a code - which worked for me here so I assumed you just overlooked it
Quote from kiss me :lol, i once made a bouncy game with that but now i try dx studio(works with javascript)

If you want something "simple" for game creation, try something like BlitzMax or Blitz3D.. both are BASIC on steroids

I used to use BlitzBasic when that was the only product in their line 10 years ago on my Amiga (if anyone remembers the classic 'SkidMarkz' game.. that was coded in BlitzBasic too).. and took me about 3 hours to knock up a simple space invaders type game in Blitz3D on the PC

Not free unfortunately, but BASIC is easy enough to pick up and you can get some pretty cool effects with minimal effort

Regards,

Ian
That's definitely made in Game Maker. I remember personalising/removing stuff from the chat example file (like shaun did) and handing it in as my final GCSE ICT project. Got a Distinction for it
Quote from Ian.H :If you want something "simple" for game creation, try something like BlitzMax or Blitz3D.. both are BASIC on steroids

I used to use BlitzBasic when that was the only product in their line 10 years ago on my Amiga (if anyone remembers the classic 'SkidMarkz' game.. that was coded in BlitzBasic too).. and took me about 3 hours to knock up a simple space invaders type game in Blitz3D on the PC

Not free unfortunately, but BASIC is easy enough to pick up and you can get some pretty cool effects with minimal effort

Regards,

Ian

i saw that 1 2, might try it 2
but lets stay with the im...
Who cares if it's game maker, you have got to give him credit for at least trying(i dont know if it works, didnt d/load it), so what if it doesnt work, he is 8 and it looks like a great achievement(sp?). I dont know if it is hard to use Game maker but it sure looks cool.

Well done Shaun
#33 - Jakg
Quote from Game Maker Site :Game Maker allows you to make exciting computer games, without the need to write a single line of code...Using easy to learn drag-and-drop actions, you can create professional looking games within very little time

It requires little effort and no knowledge - i don't see how this is an acheivement
Also the chat program comes as a pre-built example. It looks like all that's been changed here is the graphics. But still, have fun with Game Maker, Shaun- I enjoyed it for a few years too. If you ever learn GML, you're better than me.
Loads fine but doesn't really do much. If I could be bothered to install it on another machine it would probably work. It looks like a very simple demonstration chat project with some LFS screenies added as backgrounds.
i used a tutorial (not a example i read a tutorial)
If there's one thing about Lee Bamber's developer programs, and by the looks of it this game maker program is one of his, then I see no reason why an 8 year old can't make a chat client.

I would be suprised if it had the functionality to sit on the task tray and run without hogging less than 90% of a cpu core, but I see no reason why the kid couldnt have made this.

So give the kid a break guys .
#38 - Jakg
Becky, my original observation was right - he hasn't made this app, he's used something that "requires you to write 0 lines of code" effectively making it 0% skill required
It may not require AS MUCH skill as a fully coded application, but come on, the guy's 8 years old. Do you EXPECT him to be a fully accomplished programmer? I certainly wouldn't expect any 8 year old to be. So please, don't give him a hard time.
Envy... envy... envy.

Good job my little friend.
It's not about the skill level Jak, the kid is 8 years old and he's made something for other people to use. OK, as a chat client it probably doesnt actually tick all the boxes - but he's made it and even he wasnt sure if it would be worth releasing to us. The gang mentality in this thread has dissapointed me greatly.

Before you flame him for being 8, I released my first commercial game when I was 8 years old, and was offered a job by Ocean Software - who where shocked to find out I was 8! So just because he is 8 is no reason to flame his effort.

It's also no reason to flame him for not having delivered a comprehensive chat program on his first effort. IM A TECHIE WIERDO and I was programming a couple of years before I made my first game. It takes real insanity to be as wierd and techie as me.

What we've got here is a kid taking his first steps on the road toward a more creative and learned use of the computer. Do you say: "I cant drive a car" or do you say "what does the pedal on the left do?"... He's starting out and he's learning.

I'm very dissapointed in the gang bullying here.
very well said Becky. as for my post, i didnt really know much about gamemaker and whatever else he use, but i just wanted to give him credit
going to have a look at it now
Quote from Jakg :Becky, my original observation was right - he hasn't made this app, he's used something that "requires you to write 0 lines of code" effectively making it 0% skill required

Yea, 0% skill? Maybe for some great kid like yourself this is nothing, but you sir, are a twat for not realising that at the age of 8 about doing things for others especcially like this really doesn't come close to the top of the list. Infact, I wouldn't care if it was made by a 30 year old guy, the fact is he tried and spent his time and effort creating it.

Well done Shaun, even if it doesn't work as it should, at the age of 8 you should be extremely happy with your work and i'm sure all the more experienced coders in here will tell you that there first programe never worked like it was intended to either.
Sorry for the double post.. but nice work there shaun, looks good

lay off him guys, dont be so harsh, he is just a kid dont forget
#46 - SamH
@baw.. I'm doing my best to keep my hands off and let this thread right itself without intervention.. please, no namecalling
when i load it it doesnt work, so i downloaded game maker, threw a quick game together, and i had the same result, didnt load, not even with premade stuff or making an exe
ah well, i'm off experimenting with dx studio
wich will take me 1 year to make a crappy thing

well done shaun
btw: you were a fun ball on ur server
Let's not direct the flames on to Jack, actually several people where very negative right from the off and Jack was not the only one.
maybe a newer version will fix these errors?

i hope it does! nice little idea.
Quote from Bawbag :Well done Shaun, even if it doesn't work as it should, at the age of 8 you should be extremely happy with your work and i'm sure all the more experienced coders in here will tell you that there first programe never worked like it was intended to either.

Indeed.. sure beats the hell out of what most 8 year olds may come up with:

10 PRINT "I AM T3H K00L!!!!!!!11111one"
20 GOTO 10

I was learning BASIC from books at the age 8 (which in theory, takes no skill either as I was copy-typing).. it was the fundamentals of what I know today... slowly but surely, learning the most important part of programming (IMO).. how to understand logic. If you can understand the logic behind coding, the language you ultimately use is a minor step. I know VERY little of Delphi for example, but as much is similar to C++ but backwards, I can follow the logic and convert (some) Delphi code into C++. If Shaun learns the logic.. who knows, 5 years time he maybe releasing an app to parallel something like Trillian (I don't use IM apps, but I hear this is popular).

Kids should be encouraged, not discouraged.

Regards,

Ian

LFS Instant Messenger & CD Player
(86 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG