The online racing simulator
#1 - Vain
Hints and recommendations on which racing series to follow
Hello.

I created this thread as a basis for racing fans to exchange recommendations with each other. Which series do you like that others might also find enjoyable?
My favorite series is the WTCC. Good action, proper moves, great cars.
Directly behind that WRC. Loeb's domination kind of kills it a bit but I just love everything about rallying. There's something about driving a twisty gravel stage at insane speeds that just makes me addicted.
Usually I also watch the reviews of the FIA GT. Partly because the cars are just plain gorgeous.
I've been considering watching MotoGP, but I'm not really into bikes.
DTM looks too much like F1 to justify the time to watch it. Also I can't help seeing it as a "retirement home for aged drivers".
BTCC is too much of a banger-type of series.
F1 is propably the only motorsport series that is more boring to watch than the advertisment in between.

What series would you recommend?

Vain
I usually watch nascar which is sometimes nice, but my favourite racing series is v8 supercars. V8supercars always provides good commentary, good action, good drivers and no wrecking like in btcc (in short, everything you want).
I also kinda keep a repository of v8 supercar onboard clips, so feel free to browse through it
#3 - nihil
Quote from Vain :
I've been considering watching MotoGP, but I'm not really into bikes.

In recent years, even if you're not into bikes, the racing in MotoGP has been second to none. And since I'm biased on this subject, I'm also going to recommend WSB, BSB, and as much of the Irish road racing series that you can pick up on.
Quote from nihil :In recent years, even if you're not into bikes, the racing in MotoGP has been second to none. And since I'm biased on this subject, I'm also going to recommend WSB, BSB, and as much of the Irish road racing series that you can pick up on.

Agreed.

I started watching MotoGP in 2004 and I'm never disappointed by the quality of racing, especially the this year and last where Rossi has slipped from total dominance. He's certainly still a very strong contender, but he's not winning over half the races in the season like he used to.
#5 - amp88
Another vote for MotoGP and V8 Supercars from me. If you like WTCC I think you'll love V8 Supercars. ~640bhp, 1350 kilos, Dunlop control tyres and very low aero grip mean the racing is fantastically close, very competitive and great to watch. You could also take a look at SuperGT (the Japanese touring car cup, used to be called the JGTC). GP2 is also a potential, being a closer open wheel format than F1.
#6 - aoun
Hints? Recomendations?

Watch whatever you got!!

Whatever is on, ill watch it..

F1, Champcar, Nascar, V8supercars, WRC, MotoGP, NHRA and racing shows like inside speed, rpm etc...

i donno.. only 16, only been around the racing scene for 8 years.. mabye might loose intrest in some one day..

Btw, i hate IRL :P. I would still watch it if its on.. hehe
#7 - mr_x
I love BTCC for its edge of the seat action.

I know some people say it's bangers. But all controversial moves are looked at closely by the stewards afterwards and suitable punishments are handed out, despite what some people might think.

This season there hasn't really been anything that would say it's a 'banger' series. It's been nothing short of amazing! Any accidents that have happened have been caused by racing incidents.

Also if you think about it logically, the racing is going to be closer and there's going be more contact because the British circuits are nothing like what the WTCC visit. British tracks are very narrow compared to the World Circuits.

However, if anyone saw Thruxton last time out where 5 or 6 cars were going side by side at 140mph upto the last chicane, and no one hit anyone/fell off, that made my jaw drop.

I'm going to Croft for this weekends races and really looking forward to it.

Apart from BTCC, I quite like to watch the WRC, as vain said, something about going down twisty gravel stages at silly speeds is a great thing to watch!
i started watching wtcc because tiago monteiro is driving there now!

races are too short though (i'm used to f1)
Another vote for WRC and BTCC.
V8 supercars would be nice if they changed the rules to allow more than two manufacturers in the series. pushrod, two valves per cylinder engines only ?
Quote from Vain :My favorite series is the WTCC. Good action, proper moves, great cars.

but FWD =

I used to watch closely WRC but this season I have totally lost interest. Loeb or Grönholm... Grönholm or Loeb, who cares? It lacks real competition. Rally cars that does not go sideways are boring to watch. There's no excitement and lacks the endurance element (where's Safari Rally?) that it still used to have couple of years ago.

Besides WRC, F1 and MotoGP, there's not much motorsport coverage on national tv channels here... Of course cable/satellite expands the selection quite a lot but that's not an option currently. Concerning the lousy tv coverage it's interesting that there are still so many rally and F1 drivers coming from Finland.

I'd love to watch V8 Supercars. I must say Australian organizers understands something that the European monkeys at FIA do not understand: racing must be a great victory for driver skill - aids banned and H-gearboxes, plus 600 hp for those cars is just a total overkill. I also would like to watch both Le Mans series and FIA GT, now that there's competitive Finns there (Mika Salo & Toni Vilander). Luckily there is a way to watch those (wink wink) but downloading and watching non-live races is not really worth to do every week.

Race of the year - Le Mans 2007, only 3 and half weeks to go... \/

#12 - J.B.
From a "watching drivers handle challenging cars" point of view I love GP2. In fact I think it's my favourite series.

WTCC: too slow/boring cars but good racing.

WRC: great but not enough competition for Loeb

FIA GT: some cars look nice but that's it, not racing IMO.

MotoGP: best racing full stop.

DTM: I like the cars and the drivers but often quite boring, F1 style races. Bring back the old double headers!

F1: best drivers and fastest cars, lots of serious problems though.

F3: need to look at their aero/engine package as the races are too boring and the cars look too tame

NASCAR: can be entertaining at times, nice to leave in the backround while doing something else.
I watch everything the bastards air, that is MotoGP, F1 and WRC.
MotoGP is the best of the bunch, I'm not a huge bike fan but I really enjoy the racing. F1 and WRC are basically a ripoff over here, especially the WRC coverage is crap with irritating hosts! If I had cable I would watch anything with engines involved. The major companies have this thought that if there isn't Finns involved, people are not interested. Partly true but I wouldn't care!

Oh, a bit off-topic, but Red Bull Air Race is awesome too!
#14 - Vain
For everyone who craves racing but can't watch it, take a look at www.racing-underground.com .
I use it exclusively, that means I don't own a TV. RU.com is enough for me.
(The F1 coverages is the only one that usually take a while to come up to RU.com, but hey, it's more fun to wait 5 hours for the torrent than 2 hours for the first pass! )

Thanks for the recommendations. I forgot to add the SuperV8 series to the list. I usually watch Bathurst. The racing format doesn't really suit my taste, but the racing is great. I'll give MotoGP a shot.

Vain
Quote from Blackout :Oh, a bit off-topic, but Red Bull Air Race is awesome too!

I second that.

What would be great is putting RBAR pylons over an F1 track and race an RBAR plane against LH in a McLaren, I think their circuits are around F1 length
#16 - DeKo
Quote from nihil :BBC NI covered the North West 200: http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/tv/nw200/

And UTV usually covers the other races. Don't know if this is available on satellite or cable, but I usually pick up the broadcasts later on Youtube or google (eg: http://video.google.com/videop ... =123817617913029690&q)

the North West 200 was on BBC2 for me last saturday, i think. I remember watching it and thinking it was ****ing suicide.

If you keep an eye on BBC2 during the day on sat and sunday, you can sometimes get a fair amount of decent bike racing, sometimes other stuff.
+10000 for the older V8 supercar races. I have downloaded few old Bathurst races (1990 and 1992) and I really liked those. I really like those Fia GT but only the cars. The races are a bit dull, especially when there are no finns and the racing isn't exactly close and exciting... And I am not really interested in motorbikes as a sports to wtch but damn those things are nice things to watch on tv. The racing is almost always very good and races very exciting

Another thing I like are the older CART races. Many of the races are no city circuits and still the races are quite entertaining.

Another thing I might try are the nascar road races
Quote from Hyperactive :I really like those Fia GT but only the cars. The races are a bit dull, especially when there are no finns and the racing isn't exactly close and exciting...

Mika Salo was in GT2 class last year, can't remember did he full season or some races but now there's Toni Vilander (who won one race some months ago). Salo is doing ALMS (American Le Mans) now in GT2 class Ferrari... he won the 12 hours of Sebring. And he's also attending the upcoming Le Mans. Like many "retired" formula drivers, in F1 he sucked but seems to be doing well in touring cars...

#20 - mr_x
Quote from J.B. :From a "watching drivers handle challenging cars" point of view I love GP2. In fact I think it's my favourite series.

WTCC: too slow/boring cars but good racing.

WRC: great but not enough competition for Loeb

FIA GT: some cars look nice but that's it, not racing IMO.

MotoGP: best racing full stop.

DTM: I like the cars and the drivers but often quite boring, F1 style races. Bring back the old double headers!

F1: best drivers and fastest cars, lots of serious problems though.

F3: need to look at their aero/engine package as the races are too boring and the cars look too tame

NASCAR: can be entertaining at times, nice to leave in the backround while doing something else.

Yeah pretty much the same comments would come from me here....

BTCC is good for some great racing as well... but pretty similar to WTCC in a way. The Valencia race was kinda cool to watch.

I haven't watched much of GP2, but I know it is always nice to watch. DTM is definitely boring me, a lot like F1 too. But that new driver Paul Di Resta? from Scotland, he is like Lewis Hamilton, and he's the only reason for me to watch DTM.

There is also good racing in Rolex Daytona Prototypes series. I haven't seen what the SPEED World Challenge is like, will be watching it soon. But these two series are over here in the states, you'd have to download the coverage .

I don't watch Nascar or IRL. Champ Cars I will try and watch, it usually has some nice racing, but depends too much on the track. And CCS has taken a liking to too many temporary street courses which are rather crap and not exciting at all. But still something to watch . ALMS is the best sportscar series here.
MotoGp for pure racing it cant be beat
F1, the goings on are often more entertaining than the racing and i love the technology

V8SC is great racing too unfortunately Holden are dominating the series atm.

Porsche Cup is fantastic racing , always lots of overtaking and desperate overtaking too

We have a class in Australia (probably elsewhere too) called Aussie Legends there 1/2 size cars with FJ1100 bike engines and there super entertainment.
WTCC. Best racing you can watch. Very interesting racing, different cars, tough fight through all the distance.

Seat Leon Cup and VW Polo Cup are quite interesting, though the cars are the same. Especially VW Polo Cup looks like XF GTi: often they drive quite crazily.

Formel 3 is also interesting, though not through all the distance. Race 1 always has an interesting 1st lap, but then the drivers are sorted according to their speed and nothing interesting happens. In Race 2 the first 8 is reversed, and this makes it interesting.

MotoGP 125 and 250 classes are interesting. GP class is boring.

I've watched a bit of Australian V8 championship. That's pretty cool, especially the race #2, when the grid is reversed.

I was very enthusiastic about DTM, but now it seems not that interesting. Probably it is really like F1.

IndyCar looks nice on road tracks. Though the safety car is unrestrained.

NASCAR looks interesting when a race is compressed into 25-minutes review.

Renault WS - unfortunately now it is shown in a general sports channel, we see the 3.5 class only, not 2.0, not Megane. I prefer to check Aleshin's results on the internet.

Porsche Carrera doesn't let them fight for positions, it is quite capricious.

F1 - Quit watching it in 2003. Trains racing, positions are won at the switches. Boring. Period.
I've been trying to follow super gt, but finding races is difficult, and i havent been successfull in finding a live stream. i just got the fuji speedway race today. I'm interested in super taikyu as well, but i cant find ANY races or streams on that lol.

old btcc races from the mid 90's and prior are entertaining to watch.

F1 can be interesting sometimes. I'm thinking about watching gp2 and maybe formula nippon but i dont have the time.
Quote from nihil :In recent years, even if you're not into bikes, the racing in MotoGP has been second to none. And since I'm biased on this subject, I'm also going to recommend WSB, BSB, and as much of the Irish road racing series that you can pick up on.

Don't you mean the 125cc & 250cc classes? MotoGP (800cc) is mostly boring.
Quote from luftrofl :Don't you mean the 125cc & 250cc classes? MotoGP (800cc) is mostly boring.

Quote from nihil :In recent years....

Those three words are probably suggestive enough to imply that this season needs a chance to warm up. There's absolutely no doubt that the previous few seasons are a lot to live up to, but with the engine change this year the pack has been shuffled to a degree that means we haven't seen the nail biting duels we're used to.

It'll happen though...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG