The online racing simulator
LX8 vs LXR
(115 posts, closed, started )

Poll : Which would you prefer to have?

LXR
LX8
morgan != 7... and its made of wood...

a 7 race car by itself, no class is just fine. Itd be popular, and fun for enduroes in multiclass stuff as well.

Put an LX next to the FXR and its just funny how its so much smaller, which it is. It really couldn't be part of the 500hp GTR class.
RAC GTR. Thats what the LX8/R should be against. Could be like, a GT2 class (UFR and XFR be pushed to GT3 now then?). Both cars could easily match each other.

But alas, the RAR can never exist can it?
god that thing is aweful
you just cant put decent aerodynamics on a car that was designed to have rubbish aero ... lx8 definately
Who ever said it had to be a Lotus? LX's aren't lotus'

You guys are really taking this beyond where I wanted this discussion to be.

@Kev, who says FOX is most popular? If you say LFSW shows it in number of laps, that has nothing to do with a person's position on what the best car is.

I'll leave this thread alone now to see where it goes.
Quote from XCNuse :Who ever said it had to be a Lotus? LX's aren't lotus'

What are you smoking today? Lotus 7 is the primary chassis and body design many companies have used for years (50 years to be exact). Is it just a coincidence that the LX looks EXACTLY like one?

Or do you think it is similar to Sir Mix A Lot's Lamborghini? :doh:
neither.
Hmmm, a choice between two cars that don't exist

Meh, I'll just have a burrito
Quote from XCNuse :@Kev, who says FOX is most popular? If you say LFSW shows it in number of laps, that has nothing to do with a person's position on what the best car is.

If you're trying to make the point that "classes" of cars are more popular, you're doing a bad job of it.

Anyway, the FOX Isn't my favourite car - not by a long way. In fact my favourites are the LXs, which I think makes me a reasonably good advocate for not totally ruining the apparently-aborted LX8. If it gets included, I'd like to see it appear as a proper racing Seven, which is why I'm sitting here arguing with you about it.
Quote from Tweaker :What are you smoking today? Lotus 7 is the primary chassis and body design many companies have used for years (50 years to be exact). Is it just a coincidence that the LX looks EXACTLY like one?

heh, I have to disagree here.. from the images (and real cars) that I've seen, the LX is more closely modelled (visually at least) to the Westfield than Seven

That said, I agree with yours and other's points.. whatever a new LX car maybe (if it ever came about), it needs to really be in a class of its own (unless a multiclass race between LX6 and itself.. and by that I mean deliberately unbalanced, like N-GT / GTS etc).

I also think those body mods for the Donkervoort ruin the car's appearance at least. I'm very much a "yesteryear" person with regards to car designs, most these days, including supercars and "hypercars" look like kids have been let loose with a pack of crayons (the Zonda immediately springs to mind). The LX* has character, something different to the majority... some wider wheels, "cheap slicks" and some more power would be all I'd personally be looking for... again that said however, I think the LX6 now is a really nice car to drive.. but can still bite ya hard on the rear-end if you cock it up.. is there really a need for something that will probably drive like the LX6 did in early S2 versions? (ie: terribly!).

Would far sooner have existing bugs fixed and new track environments than any new LX.

Just my £0.02 worth.

Regards,

Ian
Me saying "Lotus 7" is just a categorical term. Most other companies (like Westfield) are similar in many respects, and all tied in to what Caterham bought rights to from the original Lotus 7... except they make their own versions.

LX6 is a Westfield, LX4 is a Caterham Superlight (more or less).

But yeah, as much as I would LOVE to have a track-day LX, we need more tracks and improvements in other areas first.
Quote from Tweaker :Me saying "Lotus 7" is just a categorical term. Most other companies (like Westfield) are similar in many respects, and all tied in to what Caterham bought rights to from the original Lotus 7... except they make their own versions.

LX6 is a Westfield, LX4 is a Caterham Superlight (more or less).

But yeah, as much as I would LOVE to have a track-day LX, we need more tracks and improvements in other areas first.

I agree. If you think the LX is anything other than a 7 rip-off then you've lost a marble or two.

Also, if I had to pick between the rather monstrous and ugly wing-shod cars and the LX8, I would pick the LX8.

But as I have said many times, I want a 4pot racing minimalist 7.

Could a mod please close this thread, I'm sure it was all discussed in great detail about a month ago, maybe less...........oops that's right, xc's a mod.
Quote from Tweaker :You guys don't understand. Is there ANY Caterham out there that has wings that can go 170mph+ ? (OH, and does it race against other cars? Don't start pulling charts from just solo runs at the ring) You can't make such a lightweight car to compare to those GTRs. They have bigger tires, loads more power, probably even a bigger fuel tank.

and so? is it completly stupid to have a LX in the same class with a Porsche? All I see is an advantage for one at cornering/braking/accelerating and advantage in power for the other . I really don't see too why every car in LFS should be a real car (imo FXR, XRR and FZR are not existing in my world) or very close to one (and such cars exist, even if the are not in garage of everyone).
BTW, when I look at the power to weight ratio, I really don't see why it couldn't be compared to the GTR (with driver in : 478hp/ton (lx) - 418hp/ton (gtr))...
Quote from Tweaker :...

I can't really see that making a LX8 would require huge amount of work. Making a LX8 is surely a smaller task than the BF1 was.

Still, a new track is something much more nicer than another car. We could nicely have both if there even has been any work done on new tracks... of which I have certain feeling
---
Imho, with the physics we have now, a LX8 would fit perfectly into LFS. None of the cars in LFS atm have "too much power". And I would defenately want the LX8 with lots of power, totally track prepped and without wings and maybe even without slicks. Kinda like poorman's super car (power-wise)
---
LXR to compete with the GTRs is kinda daft idea to me. Even the current GTR class with a Porrera, an Opel Vectra (Vauxhall Vectra?) and a RX-7 feels kinda odd to me... It looks more like a class with a GT2 Porsche, a early 1990s DTM car and 1980s GTR car put into one class on 2005. Tbh the cars don't even look to be from the same decade. Adding a LX-R car to that class would make it just more unreal, even more than it already is.
@Hyperactive, speaking of dates and what the GTRs compare to, I recently have decided that the most comparable type of cars the GTRs match up with are Trans Am cars. Which consist of Porsches (944s and 911s), Ferraris, RX7s, Mustangs, Camaros, heck I even have a picture of a Dodge Charger Trans Am. While the lower end GTR (XFR and UFR) reminds me of SCCA Pro Championship race cars.

@Tweak, smoking? you look like you're smoking more than I am with the way you're going of.

There is still one question I have for the devs, just one, if they answered I'd, I don't know what I'd do, but if I were given one question to ask about the LX8, it would be this:
"How does it feel like when you finally get the LX8 to cooperate on the Aston Cadet Corkscrew?"
the first LXR shown, the rest just look like need for speed wannabe fnf naws style.
Quote from Hyperactive :Imho, with the physics we have now, a LX8 would fit perfectly into LFS. None of the cars in LFS atm have "too much power". And I would defenately want the LX8 with lots of power, totally track prepped and without wings and maybe even without slicks.

Road tyres as an option would definitely be nice. Light chassis, grunty V8, crap tyres - you'd have to really throw it around slow corners.
How about semi-slicks?
That would make more sense at least in this case.

Maybe if we had that, then we could have something similar to an Elise?
#43 - wark
Quote from srdsprinter :Hmm... LXR I reckon, because I'd much rather have a
LX4R with 500hp/tonne 4 cyl 225hp slicks cage no windshield and no df.

Now you're talkin'! :icon23:
Quote from XCNuse :@Tweak, smoking? you look like you're smoking more than I am with the way you're going of.

Well excuse me.... but you gave a poll between the LXR and LX8 BASED on your suggestions, nothing but... and you do not even have the slightest bit of flexibility for other opinions on what one of those cars should be defined as? Your LXR is a pumped up LX with wings that looks worse than a Kia modded by MTV, that is my opinion. Others don't like it, others do. Is there really any thought behind those that are agreeing and saying it would be a perfect competitor for the GTRs? Power/Weight stats and all that will not give it a proper comparison. You'd have to be pretty damn lucky to find such a car that is DEAD ON accurate and balanced with the GTRs. Honestly, be a bit more practical and realistic here... or please understand where I (and many others) am coming from in saying why this so called 'radical' new idea should be thought through, or put to rest.

You obviously are upset when someone disagrees with your whole dream, but then now you act like a responsible mod and I am the one out of control? Gimme a break dude, I am not the only one.

Many have stated that either we'd like to see the LX8 come back because the physics would probably make it reasonably nice OR that we should just have a decent trackday version of the LX. There are plenty more threads than this one that comes with an added bonus 'poll', so don't start pulling that crap that you are just conducting a survey and don't expect us to put some grease into our remarks.

It is either three things:

1) We get the LX8 back again because it just might be drivable with the new physics. Yet it will still be no match for the GTRs, it would still be in its own class, as its performance never can match them.

2) Have a trackday version of the car that is much like a competition version Lotus 7, with slicks. An overall light package, nothing heavy or overdone, rollcage, etc.

3) Debate/argue over various traits: Whether or not it should have wings/downforce, it having a V8, more/less power, or hell... if it should even come back into LFS the more and more we beg. And based on some people's perception of the LX8 as being an uber muscle performer, and others in belief that a superlight trackday version should be the right choice, it seems everyone is always 50/50 with options 1 & 2, and we never come to a consensus here.

Personally, the LX is a nice car, and LFS deserves to have any version of it with slicks. But because this idea has been beaten to hell month after month with threads like these, all you can do is hope that the devs might actually consider it... regardless of how 'out of control' the opinions may seem to you. This IS a suggestion from you, and equates to many other suggestions that get drilled because there is no majority agreement. A good example of a forum suggestion for a new car is the RAC, it was found and put into LFS quite fast.

Furthermore, you asked us a simple question in the beginning of your thread, and you got your answers.
Quote :What do we really want, a car to compete in the GTR class? Or a car alone by itself known as the LX8?

You are debating on an imaginary car... non-existent. Yet you act like it is a reality, and should forcefully impose these ideas onto Scawen and Eric. Scawen always said, "LFS is not a democracy".
Your last comments are precise, thats why I dont get why you're going all out on this when its just a matter of what you would prefer, its not like we are going to have it, I just wanted to see what people would prefer to see it as, something to race against, or something to race alone, you're just going off on how much you'd want the car to be when thats not the situation.
But isn't all of this already discussed in plenty of other threads? Why would you need a new thread, with the same stuff you've already posted before. Not to mention, with comments on your "LXR" already given, yet you think it deserves a poll to get a better answer? Or is this just promo of your rendered car... I think it is.

An idea to how the LX8 could compete with the other GTR cars

What might Eric be doing/preparing for LFS now(speculation)

Spinoff : [old LX8 picture.. OMGZ!?!]

What new car types are you wai ... ngine, weight and layout)

suggested LX's handeling improvment

LX4, totally sublime

LX8? canned?

Will We Ever Drive the LX8 GTR??

LX8 vs UF1000

I could keep going...

How do reponses in these threads fail to answer your questions? Search.

Quote from Gunn :LX cars racing with GTRs? That would be completely uncontaminated with realism.

:up:
I'm sorry but all this talk of wings and downforce goes against the LX idea... LXs are very unique to drive (very fun too), so the last thing i want them to becoem is another FOX.

LXR = Superlight racing version of the LX4/6 (not sure on engine specs)

That's all we need... more power/weight and rollcage and racing slicks etc.
let me add also... that these should not be compared to GTRs, they don't have similar models that race together on the track. Just like the FOX, the F08, the BF1, there doesn't NEED to be another car for it to compete against.
Tweak you are way out of line to be totally honest.
Plus why would I want to show off that old render anyways?

Finally, all of those links you posted were about it, not asking what everyone would prefer.

P.S. This thread was awakened by this thread her. It was originated in 2005, and awoken by a merge in 2006.

This thread has very little to do with the LX8/R for that matter, it has to due with what people prefer, class cars or not. According to the poll its apparent where it is going too.
Quote from XCNuse :According to the poll its apparent where it is going too.

The poll isn't accurate either. I voted for the LXR simply because of the name and what the car could be (as suggested). I never said I liked the idea you had for the LXR, as did other people that voted for the LXR. Not only that, it is limited in options, forcing one to vote one way or another.

I would think you'd know better than to create a versus-poll-debate thread, but oh well. I must be "out of line" :rolleyes:

Stupid. Why can't you just say "can we please have an LX that is race-prepped? Rather than being so specific with your erector set render machine?
This thread is closed

LX8 vs LXR
(115 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG