The online racing simulator
Suggestion: Allow Admins to Set Speed Traps
For fun it would be cool to allow server admins to setup speedtraps. It would make a nice addition to race reports.

-eddie
Can you explain more as to what a speedtrap is? I have no clue what a speed trap would be except one set up by the police and a radar gun and track how fast you're going, but thats about it, I can't find any connection with cops and racing (much less reports).
Quote from TheRealEddie :For fun it would be cool to allow server admins to setup speedtraps. It would make a nice addition to race reports.

I think he means that along with the split through a sector of the track, there should be included a speed at any point in it too, as to compare split times and speeds. That's my interpretation. I think it would be nice to have, in case split times aren't important to you .
odd, thought speed trap is pretty standard racing lingo. Yeah, its just a line on the track where everyone's speed is measured..usually at the fastest part of the track..

I'll check out Vcom.

Thanks!
In F1 they have a speed trap (it shows it on the track map before the race) - it's generally at the end of longest straight. The best speeds through the speed trap are occasionally shown on screen.
Quote from duke_toaster :In F1 they have a speed trap (it shows it on the track map before the race) - it's generally at the end of longest straight. The best speeds through the speed trap are occasionally shown on screen.

Which is a useless bit of information. It tells us nothing, as power, downforce (drag) and previous corner exit speeds (and slipstreams) will have an effect on it, so you cannot use it to tell you ANYTHING.

If they put the speed trap(s) on the exit of corners, so we could compare corner exit speeds it would give a much clearer picture of the abilities of the cars/drivers, as well as show the benefits or otherwise of a driving style and apex point.

Only morons (and I include the FIA/ITV/people who put the speed traps at the end of long straights) think that 'top speed' shows anything meaningful.

Oddly enough, I also think people who want a 'top speed' track are morons.
Last time I checked TC, you think approximately 89% of LFS forum members are morons

And rightly so. =]
87%. I just can't stand people who know nothing about cars whatsoever, but like them, posting nonsence or believing what car manufacturers/organisations say without thinking it through for themselves and looking stuff up... Thus people think that speed traps should be at the end of the fastest straights because they think that big numbers there actually mean anything...

Just be pleased you're not one of them!
#9 - Lible
(Well, the speed traps are just showbusiness. You think every F1 viewer is a racing expert like you, Tristan? )
I think you can figure out some tactics from the current speed traps - high downforce or low.

I would like if they would show us more incar camera um.. pictures.
#10 - Dru
Actually, Speed traps are before the end of long straights (before the start of the braking zone) otherwise information is useless as otherwise, people who are late on the brakes may actually have the fastest time but then fail to make the corner..

I'm not sure when the speed traps were introduced but i do remember them being relevent when it was single lap qualifying as then it was a comparision tool, if someone had a good split and then you saw him having a better speed through the trap then you had a good idea that he was going to be fast etc etc

the same goes for if your watching down hill skiing or the luge etc etc
Quote from Lible :(Well, the speed traps are just showbusiness. You think every F1 viewer is a racing expert like you, Tristan? )
I think you can figure out some tactics from the current speed traps - high downforce or low.

I would like if they would show us more incar camera um.. pictures.

Ah, but what if they get a low speed trap figure constantly? Is it because they are slow out of the proceeding corner, carrying more downforce, have less efficient aerodynamics, less engine power, or sub-optimal gearing?

Quote from Dru :Actually, Speed traps are before the end of long straights (before the start of the braking zone) otherwise information is useless as otherwise, people who are late on the brakes may actually have the fastest time but then fail to make the corner..

I'm not sure when the speed traps were introduced but i do remember them being relevent when it was single lap qualifying as then it was a comparision tool, if someone had a good split and then you saw him having a better speed through the trap then you had a good idea that he was going to be fast etc etc

the same goes for if your watching down hill skiing or the luge etc etc

No shit sherlock - of course it's not at the END end of the straight in the braking zone. Even James Allen isn't THAT stupid. But none-the-less the straight line speed of the cars means NOTHING unless you know the exact configuration of the car. Put it on the corner exit and it becomes, instantly, a useful comparison, before aero efficiency and engine power/torque or gearing become relevant. You just reduce it to car/driver ability through said corner (obviously downforce/grip variables still play a part, but in a useful way).
tristan calm down!

topic:
there are also speedtraps within corners sometimes to show the apex speed of cars

i dont want admins to be allowed to set speed traps but id like to see them e.g. automaticaly @ splittimes etc.
Quote from Belain :tristan calm down!

Sorry. I just can't stand people not accepting they are wrong. I don't mind people being wrong (myself included), as long as they correct themselves when pointed in the right direction.

To anyone who thinks straight line speed traps are any good read Carroll Smith's books, or Skip Barber's book, or many many others to do with understanding race cars etc.
#14 - Dru
Quote from tristancliffe :Sorry. I just can't stand people not accepting they are wrong. I don't mind people being wrong (myself included), as long as they correct themselves when pointed in the right direction.

To anyone who thinks straight line speed traps are any good read Carroll Smith's books, or Skip Barber's book, or many many others to do with understanding race cars etc.

now correct me if i'm wrong Tristian, but you are the only person who has put their opinon down as to what purpose a speed trap has, everyone else has just said what it does 'ie' measures a speed at a point in time and people have said it would be interesting for them...

Quote from tristancliffe :Sorry. I just can't stand people not accepting they are wrong. I don't mind people being wrong (myself included), as long as they correct themselves when pointed in the right direction.

must be great to make it look like everybody is a moron just because you say so. and how the hell did you get up on the high horse. i could never climb that high.
k i said tristan calm down but now lets all calm down and discuss about the suggestion ^^
Can we stop this please and stay on the topic at hand ladies?
Quote from dadge :must be great to make it look like everybody is a moron just because you say so. and how the hell did you get up on the high horse. i could never climb that high.

See, I'd normally agree with you, but Tristan is right. He usually is too (at least the posts that I read).
yeah he usually is, but to just jump on a thread and start calling people morons is just a bit up himself imo.
#20 - Dru
Quote from tristancliffe :Which is a useless bit of information. It tells us nothing, as power, downforce (drag) and previous corner exit speeds (and slipstreams) will have an effect on it, so you cannot use it to tell you ANYTHING.

If they put the speed trap(s) on the exit of corners, so we could compare corner exit speeds it would give a much clearer picture of the abilities of the cars/drivers, as well as show the benefits or otherwise of a driving style and apex point.

Only morons (and I include the FIA/ITV/people who put the speed traps at the end of long straights) think that 'top speed' shows anything meaningful.

Oddly enough, I also think people who want a 'top speed' track are morons.

should have only needed to have put -1 rahter than critise people again...
People have said "yes" to speed traps. Nothing wrong with that.

But THEN people have said "we could put them at the end of the straights", and I am saying that is a stupid idea. Then I attempted to say WHY I disagreed with their hopes. Then people starting saying I was wrong (and that it is a useful reading) or that we were suggesting putting it in a braking zone. So THEN I corrected them too. Then I went away from the thread, happy in the knowledge that, unless they had no brain, people would see sense and realise that straight line speed traps are -1 and corner exit speed traps are +1.

It would appear I underestimated the average silliness, as people are still arguing as though they know.

Nuse: It is on topic. The topic is speed traps. It has never left that topic.
Quote from Dru :should have only needed to have put -1 rahter than critise people again...

Twice in two days I've corrected your misunderstanding of something racing related. You should be pleased and grateful, otherwise you might look silly in the future posting the same stuff again.

At first I was calling stupid people who thought it was a good thing, and not people who don't know differently, morons. Then, the moronic status starting applying to people who have argued that straight-line speed figures are useful. At no point have I called anyone in this thread a moron, unless you STILL think that straight line speed traps are useful, in which case I hereby call you a moron.
No tristan, ontopic would be something as follows:

"Yes, I agree it would be usefull ... "
or
"No, I disagree, because ... "

Not blabbering about how some person you disagree with is a "moron," it debases you and ruins the point you told because you continue about how wrong someone is. Who cares! if they are wrong then you can politely tell them, or walk away, they don't have to know they are wrong, and probably some day they will learn that they are but it really doesn't matter, we just don't need any of this name and shame going on, because in the end it only makes you (the poster) a lower person.
Tristan, when you start calling people names you loose all the usefull information that your post could possible (and does) have, people no matter how much information it has they will only read the moron,stupid part.... You explained your point very well, for those who still dont get, just leave at that, its their problem not yours.
i'd say a combination of both would be even more useful. Beeing slower on a straight is as useless as taking turns slower then others.

@ TC: bla? had a bad day mate? Just because you think you're right doesn't inevitably means that you are actually right. However this do not gives you any right to insult others even if they have a "stupid" opinion about a given topic from your point of view

Btw, i also like to have a top speed track like Nardo or some faster Ovals but i cant see how that affinity makes me a moron. If you dont like it, stay away aight
Useful? Not really. Interesting? In F1, WSB and Moto GP they are. A corner exit speed-trap is of no help if you want to know which machine is fastest in a straight line. What does it mean, except "Vehicle X is fastest at this point"? Nothing, it's not supposed to. What would a corner exit speed-trap mean, other than "Vehicle X is fastest at this point"? Nothing, a driver could lose 3 tenths to gain 1mph through that speed trap, it's useless too. If you want to know who is fastest, you look at sector and lap times, speed-traps are "interesting".

Suggestion: Allow Admins to Set Speed Traps
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG