Forum improvement suggestion
(24 posts, started )
#1 - arco
why on earth do you have to be registered there to just view a pic?!

Well, the examples look nice - i'll have a think about it. I first gotta setup my test forum again.
#3 - arco
I know, it's a little silly not even being able to see pictures.

Edit: For those who have no clue what I'm talking about, here's a screenie sample of the sub-forums layout.
Attached images
snapper1179587420470.png
the leagues list will become rather long this way though (or tall). Although you seem to be able to set the amount of columns (i've only read up on it, haven't tried it yet), you cannot put many columns as it'll not fit on smaller windows i guess.
To be honest, the leagues list looks a bit of a mess, that new column method really looks smarter IMO.
#6 - arco
Having two columns should be ok, maybe three too but that might be pushing it. Right now there's 31 sub-forums, so dividing them in two columns means they will take about 15 lines. Which is roughly twice the lines currently used.
#7 - arco
Did a test on my testforum, and this is how it would look like.
Attached images
snapper1179668832527.png
snapper1179669205355.png
I like it. Looks much better than the mess we have now.
3 columns looks good. The extra space is well worth the benefit to readability.
#10 - joen
I definitely like the 3 columns too, would be a big improvement
A clearout would be possible. The portugese one, Stock cup and Starlet league are currently rather inactive.
i do like that 3 columns. it would just make things look tidier.. and easier to find quickly.
#13 - arco
3 columns will cause word wrapping for those with small screen resolutions, 2 columns should be fine even at small resolutions. Samples attached.
Attached images
3col-nowrap.png
3col-wrap.png
2col-narrow.png
Another suggestion:

Separate the inactive section, make the topic line up alphabetically on first then second row:
Attached images
LX8.jpg
#15 - arco
Quote from Hyperactive :Another suggestion:

Separate the inactive section, make the topic line up alphabetically on first then second row:

Your first suggestion can't be done with this mod, unless you manually edit the template. Second is more easy, it's just a matter of assigning the proper id's to the sub-forums and they will be listed in that order.
The swedish lfs forum (http://forum.liveforspeed.se) has a tweaked phpbb. The visitor may switch between "normal" and column-listed subforums by clicking a button.

()

Very handy!
#17 - arco
New version of the sub-forums mod released. Now you can change the CSS attributes used. In the sample image I'm attaching I've changed the font to 7pt Arial.
Attached images
snapper1180993926254.png
Quote from Victor :Although you seem to be able to set the amount of columns (i've only read up on it, haven't tried it yet), you cannot put many columns as it'll not fit on smaller windows i guess.

Set up the individual items as floated elements with the width set with a percentage or em value, then there'll be a dynamic number of columns depending on screen width.
Quote from arco :7pt Arial.

That's way too small. I am not even sure if that is even readable on a all monitors (cheap CRTs may have problems).
#21 - arco
Actually, I think 2 columns will be just fine and not much longer than the current layout. You can look here for a live demo. Current font size set to 10px. Those with cheap CRTs can check if it's readable.
As small request if I may. Can you put the 'Mark forums read' button on the main top bar along with the 'New posts' etc.? It would be a little more convenient there. Thanks.

Mmm, this is probably in the wrong place. Misread the heading as 'suggestionS'
#23 - arco
Quote from Doorman :As small request if I may. Can you put the 'Mark forums read' button on the main top bar along with the 'New posts' etc.? It would be a little more convenient there. Thanks.

Mmm, this is probably in the wrong place. Misread the heading as 'suggestionS'

Hehe, I can help you with that anyway. That function is in the Quick Links menu, so you will have to do 2 clicks instead of 1.
Quote from arco :Hehe, I can help you with that anyway. That function is in the Quick Links menu, so you will have to do 2 clicks instead of 1.

Well I know that. That's why I asked. You also have to do a lot of scrolling. Hehe

(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG