The online racing simulator
Too big image in the screen !!!
(13 posts, started )
Sorry if it has been asked before, I couldnt find it.
I'm tryng to get LFS running in my (poor) Lap Top (Compaq Presario 2500, P4 2,5 Ghz, 512 ram, integrated graphics IGP 345M (Omega's 2.6.25a), 15" screen.
No mather what I do, the image in the screen is too big, and I cannot get it smaller to see it all ... look at the attachment.
Something is wrong in my settings, but LFS or Windows ???
Attached images
lfs screen.jpg
Are you using the correct resolution in LFS? In this case 1024x768 probably.
Yes my friend, 1024x768 ...
I tried chaging resolutions in game and in Windows without luck.
#4 - RaDuS
download a new graphics driver
Is that only a problem with full screen, will it work OK windowed?
It happens also in windowed mode.
Drivers for IGP 345M ... which ones ??? I was using Omegas, even newer than the one I have now without problems, tried to install NGO's (they work OK in my desk PC ) and had a lot of troubles with my laptop crashing so I had to uninstall them, and a hard work getting it to work with default ones ... I decided to install that old 2.6.25a because somewhere I read that this was the last one good for this card (if you can call it that way).
I'll try to download again LFS and make a fresh installation ...
Quote from josepmaria :
I'll try to download again LFS and make a fresh installation ...

Most propably reinstalling LFS wont help.

The root of your problems seems to be in that you have a virtual resolution that is higher than the actual resolution of the screen. With some graphics drivers it is possible to set very high (like 1600x1200) resolutions even if your screen would show only 1024x768. With a higher virtual resolution Windows would just show 1024x768 at a time, but would you let scroll to see the who le picture.

I think you should check Windows resolution once more, and set it to your monitors native resolution, and then use that in LFS as well. If it was not this, then I would bet you find something in BIOS that could help.
there is .TXT file in the main LFS directory(sorry I am in the office currently and I dotn remeber then name of the file) with various setting to set up for LFS.Look there for resolution settings and if its not 1024*768 then change it to that vaule and save the file.then start LFS again and it should be fine.

IF the problem still persist then its the graphic driver issue.
Are you using large fonts with a resolution >= 120 ppi instead of the 96 ppi standard ones ?

And check what Romus74 said, does it work fine at 800*600 ?
Solved !!! but ...
Thanks for your quick answers friends.
I had tried already most of what you are suggesting, thanks anyhow, without success, so I downloaded again LFS and tried a fresh installation, no luck again... so I thought that perhaps something was wrong in te driver I was using and decided to revert to old drivers, (ATI's original that came with my laptop, dated from 2003) ... well, everything is fine now except FPS that are awful, but this laptop has never been good for games .
I'd like to find better drivers, As i told you in my desk PC i'm usig latest NGOs (I think) and I'm very satisfied , but trying to make them work in my laptop, with that IGP was an awful waste of time, I found a patch to install them in laptops but it didnt work in mine
So now the question is ... does anyone know a good driver for my poor IGP 345 M ???
You can probably update to newer drives, just be aware that the omega drivers have seemed to cause plenty of problems for LFS. If you are curious just what all troubles omega drives have caused, use the search feature and type in Omega drivers.
Isn't the driver included in the catalyst package?
Or maybe they have a newer official driver on the Ati homepage...
To those who follow my adventures:
I found the reason of the problem.
I'm using again Omega's 2.6.25a after seing the poor FPS of the original driver.
I updated it from Compaq's web page, resulting in LFS refusing to start !!!
So I reverted to original driver and installed over it the mentioned Omegas ... FPS are a little better (3-5 FPS gain I want to believe), and LFS is working more or less (more less than more !!! :shrug 12 to 16 FPS at the back of a 4 cars grid in BW1, with quite bad image quality, so I decided to finetune the settings in windows and try to apply a (very) little of AA and AF just to see ... and I found that depending of the options that I choose, the driver sets the resolution automatically to 1280x1024 and I have again the big images (my 15" laptop screen can only do 1024x768), so being careful with this I can function by now ...
I'll try other drivers to see if that problem persist, the question is ... Must I take the immediately older or immediately newer driver that the one I have ???.
I'll keep you informed.

BTW,dont think that I dream that I'll get 70 frames with a full grid ... my aspiration is to play LFS offline, just hotlapping or racing with 3-4 AIs, just to learn the tracks that I rarely use ... I'd be happy in those conditions with 20 to 25 frames and an acceptable quality (mind my eyes). I know that online those FPS would almost double and that`s enough !!!
I drive in that laptop with an old UltraracerPC and I'm happy with it !!!

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG