The online racing simulator
TEST Patch W21 (compatible with W17)
(168 posts, closed, started )
Though having said that, I just want to say thanks to you all for testing the test patches and giving feedback. Although it sometimes gets a bit annoying seeing one small point dragged over several pages, LFS clearly wouldn't be so stable or usable without your help and the Test Patch forum is basically a good place.

So... thanks for that!
Hi Scawen,

I am not sure if you have noticed the bug I posted on previous page.you have posted 1 minute after me so you might be writing at the same time as me.LFS crash to desktop when I press LEAVE button being in multiplayer.

Sorry for posting it twice if you already read the before.

Running Dr.Watson in background doesnt give me any crash adress.
Quote from Scawen :Though having said that, I just want to say thanks to you all for testing the test patches and giving feedback. Although it sometimes gets a bit annoying seeing one small point dragged over several pages, LFS clearly wouldn't be so stable or usable without your help and the Test Patch forum is basically a good place.

So... thanks for that!

You're welcome!
Quote from Scawen :
Thanks. A few people have now reported a crash when they have left a server. And they have provided the crash address. But unfortunately that crash address is not inside LFS, so I can't see what the problem is. I'm not sure what to suggest, but maybe we'd get some more info from a Dr Watson Log. I'd say "start... run... drwatson" but the only problem is, just a few of you will run drwatson, and it won't be the same few who get the crash, except by some amazing chance! I don't know if there could have been any clues about what was happening, for example was it saving a skin at the time, what had happened just before that on the server, had you spectated for a while, or did you exit very quickly while driving. We'll need more info on this now, to try and track down what causes that crash.

Well i was still spectating, had not yet joined the action. Dr watson hmm long time ago. let me see. guess i wont see the crash now after i run it

EDIT: Well must be your lucky day i have dr watson running. adding log now
Attached files
drwtsn32.rar - 18.7 KB - 175 views
Quote from Scawen :Thanks. A few people have now reported a crash when they have left a server. And they have provided the crash address. But unfortunately that crash address is not inside LFS, so I can't see what the problem is. I'm not sure what to suggest, but maybe we'd get some more info from a Dr Watson Log. I'd say "start... run... drwatson" but the only problem is, just a few of you will run drwatson, and it won't be the same few who get the crash, except by some amazing chance! I don't know if there could have been any clues about what was happening, for example was it saving a skin at the time, what had happened just before that on the server, had you spectated for a while, or did you exit very quickly while driving. We'll need more info on this now, to try and track down what causes that crash.

Well, I was spectating too, for about 2 mins. There were 3-4 cars runing qualification on the track (GTRs on Kyoto National). Noone was joining or leaving the server that time. No votes in progress... so I don't know. I was using 4X AA & AF if that matters.
Dr. Watson says no error found.
Quote from flinty72 :Has anyone else experienced a black screen at times when going from windowed to full screen mode (shift+F4) & vice-versa?

Yes we have, me at least. Try using ALT+TAB more.

I'm sad for the SHIFT+S change too..
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :Well i was still spectating, had not yet joined the action. Dr watson hmm long time ago. let me see. guess i wont see the crash now after i run it

EDIT: Well must be your lucky day i have dr watson running. adding log now

Thanks.... but I'm not making much sense out of the log - I can't see anything like a fault address... maybe the info isn't available.

Quote from DEVIL 007 :Hi Scawen,

I am not sure if you have noticed the bug I posted on previous page.you have posted 1 minute after me so you might be writing at the same time as me.LFS crash to desktop when I press LEAVE button being in multiplayer.

Sorry for posting it twice if you already read the before.

Running Dr.Watson in background doesnt give me any crash adress.

I did read it before but... are you saying it happens every time? If so then maybe we can catch it by adding a lot of log messages.
I got a question about new reset option, actually it doesnt bother me much but will it be available for demo servers? - I just predict this option to create wreckers paradise so its not really welcomed there.
Online hosts should not be using the reset option. The reset option is for if LFS is installed in an arcade centre. It's a good setting for people on their first couple of laps in LFS, and that's the only reason it's there.
A possible solution to the skin folder dilemma:
- a folder for dds files; skins_dds
- two folders: low res and hi res skins; skins_hi and skins_lo (just different names for the skins_x and skins_y . These folders are used by LFS only)
- a personal folder (for our own skins to be selected in LFS, hi res or low res); my_skins. Files in this folder are in jpg format. Files in this folder are not used by LFS as skin files, only the names of the skins are used.
- a folder for all other skins that we already have, the skins-folder

LFS would handle the situation pretty much like it does now (W21), only the handling of the personal skins would be slightly different, but not much:
- all jpg-skins are saved and converted to dds-files and "copied" in the skins_dds folder
- LFS would automatically create a list of the names of the skins in my_skins folder, a file like personal_skins.cfg could contain this list
- when user opens the skin browser in LFS (garage->Colours->Texture name): LFS would check the personal_skins.cfg and show only those skins in the skin browser. LFS would kinda filter out those skins that are not in the list, kinda like "white list". The actual skins would be loaded from skins_dds folder just like now but only those skins would be shown in skin browser that are in my_skins-folder.
- users save their personal skins in the my_skins folder and LFS would automatically convert those skins to the skins_dds folder at every start.
- there might be a problem that a skin is updated after it has already been converted to dds; the jpg skin file is replaced by newer file either in the my_skins- or in the skins-folders... maybe some kind of time stamp check for the jpg files? Even in the current system an updated jpg skin doesn't automatically get converted and updated automatically in the dds folder?

* With this way all skins are in dds format and all dds-skin-files are in skins_dds folder. So only one place for LFS to look for skins.
* Users are given two folders for their own skins
* easy to use, user doesn't need to know or understand where to put what, just he uses the my_skins folder for his personal skins and all other skins go to the skins folder

Hope it is clear what I mean

A lot easier to code than a tickbox system and much more elegant, imho

Now, what about that LX8
Quote from Scawen :I did read it before but... are you saying it happens every time? If so then maybe we can catch it by adding a lot of log messages.

It happend to my 5th time in a row and I was running Dr.Watson in background but there wasnt any crash adress.LFS just shutdowned to desktop.Suprisingly this now dissapeard but I think there is still probably some "bug" in LFS.I am not running my PC overclocked.
Quote from Renku :Yes we have, me at least. Try using ALT+TAB more.

I'm sad for the SHIFT+S change too..

I will try next time it happens but how would ALT+TAB help, it is just the windows shortcut key to change window focus and you need another window open for it to work anyway?

On the Shift+S issue, well you could just bind it to another key within LFS options menu.
Shift+P as the command mapped to one of the function keys/combo's (F1-F8, Ctrl+F1-F12 or ALT+F1-F12). I have it mapped this way then have that LFS button mapped in the logitech profiler so I can activate via my wheel.
I don't think we need any system to choose which dds file is used by the user. Just make the colours on the left side of the skins you frequently use and that's it. It's not rocket science to select a skin which name you know from a list of files the few times you create a new colour.

The only thing I agree with is to rename skins_x and y to skins_lo and hi

And if someone else wants to give you his skin in high res he should give you a dds file with a better quality compression which you just put into skin_hi.
(zipped dds file with ~650kb is only ~130kb)
Dear everybody,
i have some problems with my lfs since w21. Sometimes i get an error when starting the game, sometimes i get an error while driving. These are the errors i get:

AppName:lfs.exe AppVer:0.0.0.0
ModName:ntdll.dll ModVer:5.1.2600.2180
Offset:000106c3 (fehleradresse 0x000106c3)
and (fehleradresse 0x00039d17)
(fehleradresse 0x0a60565d)

Does anyone has an idea how i can fix the problem?
Quote from GeForz :I don't think we need any system to choose which dds file is used by the user. ...

Some people claim to have thousands of skins... kind makes a point
I don't get the problems you are having with selecting skins. Make color schemes for the skins you use and then you only see the schemes you need and other skin texutres are hidden to you. How often do you even need to change your skin anyway?
Quote from Hyperactive : my_skins folder

Thanks a lot for all the true things u wrote.
I want not only a my_skins-folder, i want also a my_scripts, my_engine, my_misc, my_replays etc So why put not all possible My-folders in one mother-folder which is called My_data? This folder should be beside the docs-folder in the LFS-main-folder, because of easier exploring. I mentioned this here not at first time, but how i wrote, whats important for me, ill tell it again and again, because i don´t know whether any developer noticed it. Sorry for a little bit spam in here and thanks for reading.
Quote from flinty72 :I will try next time it happens but how would ALT+TAB help, it is just the windows shortcut key to change window focus and you need another window open for it to work anyway?

Whatever it is, it's not a W21 testpatch issue. One old thread is locked and smth got fixed, but few of us still have that "bug". And Scawen doesn't recommend using ALT+TAB, because LFS isn't a "program" like Windows understands it or smth. But I never had any trouble using ALT+TAB. Use what is best for you. Lets not talk about it here anymore, make a new thread if you want to discuss it further.

Old, locked thread: http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... 14140&highlight=black
Shouldn't the text messages be hidden in SHIFT+F mode? I mean the joins & chats, not the flags & splits. I haven't seen it in the thread so don't know if it's a bug or an "undocumented feature" and I can't check back in V because I replaced it with W21 :doh:
Quote from Renku :Whatever it is, it's not a W21 testpatch issue. One old thread is locked and smth got fixed, but few of us still have that "bug". And Scawen doesn't recommend using ALT+TAB, because LFS isn't a "program" like Windows understands it or smth. But I never had any trouble using ALT+TAB. Use what is best for you. Lets not talk about it here anymore, make a new thread if you want to discuss it further.

Old, locked thread: http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... 14140&highlight=black

Thanks Renku, wasn't sure if it was W21 bug, so that is why I mentioned it here. I will read the thread you have kindly pointed me too that I never found. Sorry to all & Scawen for wrongly thinking this was a W21 issue.
Quote from Scawen :Obviously it doesn't download a skin if it's already in your folder.

edit... I was trying to report a bug, why do you dismiss it so easily? I'll test it again later, but I'm not imagining things when I say I had to download the same skin from the previous night's testing, and vice versa for my friend.
I tried a search, but couldn't find any results on 'Throttle Help', so this is the issue I seem to be having:

After hot lapping with W21, I uploaded my SPR to LFS World and noticed that it reported I was using 'Throttle Help'. I do not have throttle blip on downshift selected, and I am using a manual clutch with a shifter (So no throttle cut on upshift option is available). I don't see anywhere I would of selected any throttle help.

I've taken some screenshots of LFS World, the Hot Lap in question, as well as a previous hotlap with the same settings. (Different Cars/Tracks)

Is this a W21 issue? Or have I somehow selected a driving aid? I seem to remember my previous hotlap for this combo (W17) did not report Throttle Help.

Thanks.
Attached images
Throttle Help - 01.JPG
Throttle Help - 02.JPG
Is anybody else having issues with the lights being very predictable again?

I looked through the change log and the readme and cant see anything regarding being able to define the amount of time the reds are held before green.

Has anything changed code-wise that may inhibit the random pause before green?
Quote from Scawen :Thanks.... but I'm not making much sense out of the log - I can't see anything like a fault address... maybe the info isn't available.

I did read it before but... are you saying it happens every time? If so then maybe we can catch it by adding a lot of log messages.

I got it twice now as well : It´s d3d8.dll related.
can't wait
If scawen is working this hard then I CANT wait for S3
This thread is closed

TEST Patch W21 (compatible with W17)
(168 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG