The online racing simulator
Realistic Driving Times
(44 posts, started )
Reassuring to hear that others are finding it slower too, I find it frustrating but still don't want to go back to paddle shifting road cars.

This will probably sound pretentious but should we invent a name suffix which lets people know we're running gated shifter, 720 degrees, heel-toe, cockpit view? Something like nickname.G25x?

Maybe not
Quote from morcs :This will probably sound pretentious but should we invent a name suffix which lets people know we're running gated shifter, 720 degrees, heel-toe, cockpit view? Something like nickname.G25x?

I remember when the G25 came out I saw a lot of racers with "G25" in their nicknames, using it as an excuse for getting beaten.

I still use two pedals in the single-seaters just because they go down the gears so quickly, but I couldn't go back to using two pedals in the tin-tops now, it just feels all wrong.
Quote from atledreier :What do you mean by Full sim mode? Clutch, 720 and H-shift?

Precisely...autoclutch turned off, so you HAVE to use the pedal (which means the possibility of missed gears )...full 720 deg steering (or whatever the car is supposed to have ), H-Shifter, cockpit view.
As things stand at the moment, we have to take it on trust that drivers are adhering to these rules on my server, but eventually with the release of patch X and the finalisation of Insim4, I intend to beg a coder to do a small script to ENSURE that people are complying on the server, or a small boot will appear just behind their backsides!
You know it's funny, I've never NOT used the G25 in that way. Why else would you spend that much on a wheel set and not use half of it? I've beaten some old pbs running like this too so I really don't believe it's much slower, if you're used to it. LFS is more about getting involves than laptimes anyway (unless you're biggie).
Yeah, that's the way I use it too.
I even tried it in the BF1, without great success. Taking your hands off the wheel doing 280 through a corner is not recommended!
Quote from Bob Smith :You know it's funny, I've never NOT used the G25 in that way. Why else would you spend that much on a wheel set and not use half of it? I've beaten some old pbs running like this too so I really don't believe it's much slower, if you're used to it. LFS is more about getting involves than laptimes anyway (unless you're biggie).

Amen, Bob.

On a related note, I set a PB tonight at SO1 in the XRT (52.4x... not exactly setting the world alight!). Admittedly, I had only done a handful of laps there anyway, but I was happy nonetheless! I am definitely getting faster.

I think it will be possible to get very close to WR times with the G25, but I truly believe that left-foot braking and autoclutch will always give you that extra tenth here or there. That said, I think it is literally in the order of tenths (depending on the car/track combo), not seconds, and not enough that people can really blame the G25 for their being slow. A quick driver will be quick with either setup, he will just (most likely) be a smidgen quicker without the G25.
Since getting my G25, my times have improved drastically. With a little bit of practice I can generally run about 1s/min off the WR. I run whatever rotation the car has in LFS, and I find that running 720 where applicable actually has helped me a LOT to be precise through corners. It's much easier to make small but precise corrections with larger wheel rotation IMO. If I want to set the faster times I actually use the shifter and drive like a maniac because you can shift VERY quickly using the shifter, and you don't have to flatshift so it sure sounds/feels better. If I visit a combo that I haven't driven in awhile, I invariably smash my PB within a few laps using the G25. I don't always have the energy (read: lack of laziness) to use the H shifter but I can pretty much always get identical times using it. The time lost by manually flailing about is offset by shifting superfast like a nut.

Don't forget most people have driven the XRT/BLGP combo A LOT, so silly fast times are common.
Quote from Bladerunner :As things stand at the moment, we have to take it on trust that drivers are adhering to these rules on my server, but eventually with the release of patch X and the finalisation of Insim4, I intend to beg a coder to do a small script to ENSURE that people are complying on the server, or a small boot will appear just behind their backsides!

Blade, anything like that is pointless - I could probably use a script for the gear changes and get someone to knock something together for the clutch, rotation angle is just a setting. Are you part of the cabal that is forcing us to buy another bloody wheel
Quote from duke_toaster :Blade, anything like that is pointless - I could probably use a script for the gear changes and get someone to knock something together for the clutch, rotation angle is just a setting. Are you part of the cabal that is forcing us to buy another bloody wheel

Meh. We should just set up a "No G25s" server and kick anybody who joins with a H-shifter. One in the eye for the elitists!
Quote from raizde2 :Slide wayz:

can you tell me your best time on blackwood with the demo cars using 720? just so I can know how much I can still improve

yes, driving with more degrees is awsome

and drifting is also much more challenging and fun much more smooth movements and throttle control, since u cant save it just by turning the wheel

I've been using a dfp @720° + H-Shifter (joystick + FF Shifter) + Clutch for a while, and for sure I've been slower than before for a while.

But now I'm getting used to heel-toe, right foot braking, 720° rotation, and turning the wheel with one hand when shifting ( nobody mentionned it... didnt you notice this issue ? it slowed me down a lot at first !).

And now I'm doing 1.24.xx or sometimes 1.23.xx on BL1 with XRT. So I can tell that even if you are slower with a G25 (or equivalent), it is still possible to be fast.

And as people already said, driving with more degrees teaches you to turn the wheel faster, forces you to drive clean, and gives you more precision. Yes, it is harder to make up for mistakes, but it remains possible too
cool tks for all replies

flotch:

as I said I have tried the full game at my friend's house, so yes I've tried all cars... wow the bf1 was really fast I did 59 with default setup which I thought it was really fast then I saw the wr
Quote from duke_toaster :Blade, anything like that is pointless - I could probably use a script for the gear changes and get someone to knock something together for the clutch, rotation angle is just a setting. Are you part of the cabal that is forcing us to buy another bloody wheel

Not at all..I am talking about ONE server..MINE, that would be set aside at times for people to be able to race on a level playing field.
If you don't want to race with a G25, I cant see anybody twisting your arm to buy one. Furthermore, some people may have a G25, but be unwilling to try the 'full sim' mode, and I wont be forcing THEM to change either.
Simple philosophy, If you don't like heat, don't get a job as a chef!
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Since getting my G25, my times have improved drastically. With a little bit of practice I can generally run about 1s/min off the WR. I run whatever rotation the car has in LFS, and I find that running 720 where applicable actually has helped me a LOT to be precise through corners. It's much easier to make small but precise corrections with larger wheel rotation IMO. If I want to set the faster times I actually use the shifter and drive like a maniac because you can shift VERY quickly using the shifter, and you don't have to flatshift so it sure sounds/feels better. If I visit a combo that I haven't driven in awhile, I invariably smash my PB within a few laps using the G25. I don't always have the energy (read: lack of laziness) to use the H shifter but I can pretty much always get identical times using it. The time lost by manually flailing about is offset by shifting superfast like a nut.

Don't forget most people have driven the XRT/BLGP combo A LOT, so silly fast times are common.

What controller setup were you using before you got the G25?
MOMO Racing (black) with a cheap clutch pedal.
I'd love to see how much better/worse I got with a G25. So anyone wanting to buy me one to find out, please feel free
Sorry Dajmin, look at our "join dates". I come first! Please send me my free G25! Then send one to Dajmin.

EDIT: BAH!!!! Thought my join date was February......... Then just send one to both of us at the same time
mrdoges, you signed up 3rd March vs 9th March. You still win.
get S2 though you wont be dissapointed
Quote from Bob Smith :mrdoges, you signed up 3rd March vs 9th March. You still win.

:throwrose

Ok, I'll admit it though. I signed up when I found the LFS demo. The license didn't come until the S2 release.... :hidesbehi

Realistic Driving Times
(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG