The online racing simulator
You still wanting that ride quietus? If not it's not a big deal and I would understand =)
You've probably scared him off Chris. The thought of seeing those poor front tyres get shredded is enough to turn any real man's stomach.
My mate Paul is coming too (who has an LFS licence, so he's hardly ever online. Ever), so i'm getting a lift from him in his Audi.

I'll deffo want a gander at that nutty motor of yours when I get there though! Cheers for the offer

See you all on the 'morrow. (feck knows how we're all gonna find each other though!)
Quote from Bob Smith :You've probably scared him off Chris. The thought of seeing those poor front tyres get shredded is enough to turn any real man's stomach.

Hehe yeah they do get munched on when I get on it alot =)

NP, I was thinking that people would be hanging around Tristan =)
Quote from Viper93 :NP, I was thinking that people would be hanging around Tristan =)

Heh, whether or not it'll be appropriate for that to happen is another thing.

I was planning on wandering around the track for a while, attempt to find Tristan, then go and plonk myself around the chicane area to get some photos. Perhaps then wander around a bit and see where things go.

If you're on the look out you'll probably see me;
* About 6ft or so
* Very short hair (just had it cut), going bald a bit (I maybe wearing some form of hat if it's windy tomorrow)
* Ridiculous ginger goatee
* Probably wearing jeans and carrying a blue rucksag / camera

Unfortunately the guys I'd roped in to come with me had to pull out, so it just me on my loansome this time

I've also just realised, since Tristan is there now, he's not here to spam
I'll be easy to spot, I'll be in a bright orange plasysuit.
Quote from the_angry_angel :If you're on the look out you'll probably see me;
* About 6ft or so
* Very short hair (just had it cut), going bald a bit (I maybe wearing some form of hat if it's windy tomorrow)
* Ridiculous ginger goatee
* Probably wearing jeans and carrying a blue rucksag / camera

I think this is an appropriate point to say: "a picture is worth a thousand words".

And here we have one: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=30792#post30792
Well at least I have a vague idea of who to look out for
good luck tristan, hope all goes well!

im racing in cumbria next for the british kart champs if u fancy poppin up for a gander tristan LOL

ciao

EDIT : The 1 after that is at buckmore park so it would be good to catch up wit ya
Anyone traveling down from the midlands want a passenger?
Where from?
Nuneaton, near Coventry
Twas a good day at Castle Coombe. Apologies for those that I didn't see (Chris, I did try to find you and failed clearly), and apologies for suddenly disappearing. Unfortunately I had an unexpected call from work and had to scarper well before Tristan's race.

Callous Hooper, sorry I didn't stop to say hi (I think we recognised each other), unfortunately I was running for the car at that point, having been held up by Tristan (who I think was trying to justify why his race was gonna be crap )

The worrying thing is that I'm pretty sunburnt on the face, and it was wet 75% of the time I was there.

Those that I did meet, it was nice to finally put some faces to the posts
lo!

Good days racing, got a few hundred photos to mash through when i'm bored. Only managed to find Tristan (with the help of Karl), and erm, Karl "The Angry Angel". Nice. Was good to meet you both anyways, and prove that people on the internet are actually real.

Sorry to those I couldn't find, but finding people i've never met or seen in a crowd of lots is a reasonable challenge

Had to bugger off before Tristan's race (if it actually happened?), so hope it went better than the very wet practice runs!

And can't believe I didn't get to see the front wheel drive tyre processing machine!

-Alan.
I thought it was you but wasn't quite sure mr Angel, is why I said hello.
I was with a group of other Marshals so couldn't really stop. I finally found Tristan and he told me that you had been called away. I watched Tristan race from race control and it was good to see a sim racer in a real car, though a little odd for some reason. The practice and qually sessions were wet and the race itself was dry which must have made things a little difficult.
A good day overall though.
Well we should have collected phone numbers, but ahwell =)

I was sun/wind burnt aswell. I have a nice cherry face now.

Tristan can tell you more about how he actually did, but he wasn't last which at least for me thats an achievement in itself for anyones first race.

The morning practice/quali session was wet and windy and I don't think it was fun for many people. By the start of the racing it was drying rapidly and by the time Tristan hit the track I didn't see a puddle on the track.

All in all it was a good day. I wanted to catch up with some of you guys but it happens when it's planned the way we planned it. =)

Tristan saw the car, in reality it's nothing special to really look at, looks like a Chrysler Neon with a bodykit, rear wing, and intercooler hanging off the front. The stuff that makes this a nice car is all under the hood and in the suspension and the brakes =)
I'm back!!!!!!

Wow, that was amazing really... Lots of hard work, lots of waiting around, lots of dampness, and a smidgen of track time...

As previously mentioned, qualifying was wet. And I mean WET! With a car in front of you it was difficult to see anything other than their rain light, let along braking points or people behind you in the mirrors... But out of about 36 people on track for qualifying, about half spun at some point, and I wasn't one of them. Admittedly I was 11 seconds off the 'pace' but for a first time at the circuit in that car, the first wet track session ever (other than a bit of drizzle in a kart once), and being a bit scared of crashing I think I did okay... A few bit moments, either out of Camp (I wanted full throttle, but the rears didn't), or braking for Quarry (big fishtail, somehow kept it on the track and then whilst running wide had a Formula Ford spin inside me in slow motion...).

I was about half way down the list of qualifiers, but once the classes were split up again it left me 12th out of 14th on the grid - the only novice (i.e. person with less than 6 races) on the grid.

By race time it was dry, so we put the (very old) slicks on, and off I tootled to the grid. The formation lap was very slow, with a bit of pushing and shoving so I didn't weave much or spend time getting heat into brakes - I was too busy making sure I didn't run into someone or do something unpredictable. Formed back up on the grid. Waited for 1 light, 2 lights... 5 lights, GO! Nearly stalled, but a quick whack of the clutch brought the revs up and converted stall into wheelspin. Didn't lose a place at the start, and didn't want to be stupid into T1 so kept back a bit. To start with the two people behind me gave a bit of pressure, but within a lap or two I was pulling away, and going faster each lap!!!!!! At one point I left my braking (I brake like a pansy at the moment) too late, and had to unintentionally trail brake into a chicane, which was scary and exciting at the same time, and showed how good F3 brakes really are. At no point did the car step out of line, despite me braking later and later, getting on the power earlier and earlier (often before the apex towards the end), and carrying more speed through the corner.

My best lap was just three seconds shy of the winners (and he is VERY quick, with a much newer cars, and slicks that aren't 19 years old). I finished 51 seconds behind the winner - over 10 laps (our race was shortened for some reason, and I'm cross about it) that's 5 seconds per lap - sounds a lot, but trust me it's not for a novice!!

Martin, my Dad, reckons if I hadn't been such a girl for the first two laps I'd have caught (and maybe passed!) at least two cars... I finished 10th in the end, only because two cars ahead retired...

I loved it. I want to do it again!

But I have to go and do some work, so I can't talk about it any more. Photos are still on Andrew's camera. The camcorder trackside footage was a bit crap. The onboard camera didn't work - I've got 7 seconds of footage of me in the paddock checking the camera works, but none of the car driving. Bugger!

I'll do a write up on my website after work, and put as many photos online that I can, as well as my datalogging (I got all of qualifying, but forgot to turn it on until half way round the first lap of the race - there's a lot to think about when it's all new)...

To quietus, karl, chris and callous hooper - thanks for coming, thanks for finding me and I hope you liked what you managed to see...
I could literally see your confidence growing lap by lap, very good to watch.
#95 - J.B.
Thx for the report. 3 seconds in your first race with almost zero track time sounds very good to me! Is there a list of entrants somewhere so we can see what kind of cars you are competeing against?
You might find what you are looking for here (MST Timing) or here (Castle Combe website)
yo tristan good to hear u enjoyed yourself!!!

invest in some new slicks please m8!!
#98 - J.B.
So in summary you've got 4 F3's that are all over 10 years newer than yours, 4 Formula Vauxhall-Lotus, 2 Formula X and one TFR07 (what's that?).

So basically your goal would be to beat the FVL and beating any of the F3's would be a great achievment, right? You were already less than 2 seconds slower than an F301(!) so it could get interesting.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. :up:
Yes, we need new slicks - that'll be worth an easy second per lap (assuming I bed them in properly).

Apparently a well driven, well sorted 883 could possibly be fighting for podiums against this lot, so that's the ultimate target. The FVLs should be reasonably easy to beat. I don't know what the TFR07 is, but it sounds new! And as you say, I'm less than two seconds slower than a 2001 F3 car already (and he's done it before!), so whilst my final position is nothing amazing I am pretty damn chuffed with myself
Quote from tristancliffe :so whilst my final position is nothing amazing I am pretty damn chuffed with myself

And so you bloody well should be m8. No track time, very wet, crap tyres and stayed on the track, thats an acheivement in itself Tristan.

Very well done m8, and long my it continue

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG