The online racing simulator
Quote from Ian.H :It's nothing fancy.. the whole scene's just 2 planes. The road texture's made from a photo I took of the road outside my house and edited a bit to add some cracks, oily marks and white lines (and then mapped really badly to the plane).

Attached is what it looks like in the viewport.. just 2 planes, one with some extruded polys to create the wall

Regards,

Ian

ah, i understand thanks!
Nice method, Ian, gotta try it out
Tweaked the lighting and shadows some more and used a "real car"

Regards,

Ian
lighting looks a little better, but get rid of that white plane above the car and give it an HDRI close to the lighting in that picture
There's no white plane above the car.. there's a huge arsed Vray light though that lights up more than just the car and set to invisible else it'd cover most of the background.. maybe that needs some tweaking but I don't think it's the cause of the hard light edge. The Vray light is what's being used to generate the intensity on the top faces of the bodywork.. I think the windscreen mesh needs fixing. The lighting is "sorta" HDRI (theory anyway) already.. in as much as the background and directional light use the background photo as a map (granted, it's not an HDRI probe)

What would I use for HDRI anyway? The sky's all but clear with an intense sunlight.. don't think there's much to do in the way of HDRI for that as there wasn't anything planned to be behind the camera. MRT version could perhaps have some HDRI as it looks more like there is something behind the camera casting a large but subtle shadow.

I'll have a look at that sharp lighting edge though.

Regards,

Ian
you can use a falloff map with some blues and purples and whatnot for the "HDRI"

when i meant HDRI i really meant environment map

or stick a Vray Sun in there... set it at the right place and it should all work out almost perfectly, just some edits after that and you'd be done

better yet instead of falloff just use vray sky as the HDRI
Car looks very washed out on the top but too dark on the side, the sun isn't setting enough for it to look like that. Also sun looks like it's shining directly towards the camera but the shadow is going off to the side. Maybe it's just me though. Maybe a HDRI would help making it look mroe natural.
Ah I didn't think about a Vray sun.. never used it before.. time to learn

As far as the light contrast goes, I tried to match the roof of the hut thing in the background. The roof angled towards the sun looks _very_ bright and areas with faces towards to camera, black. The only part I thought needed fixing in that respect was the front of the car is a bit too well lit along the top lip as the front bumper should also cast its own shadow on that part. Oh, the top of the bonnet and the roof are white which probably helps contribute to the washed out look? (skin under "normal lighting")

The shadow angle needs sorting, agreed. I thought that as it rendered.. need to move the spotlight around a bit

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ian.H :Tweaked the lighting and shadows some more and used a "real car"

Regards,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Nice attempt, but I think you too feel it didn't look quite right.
For outdoor scene, it is better to use environment maps for reflection and lighting. Also the intensity of the sunlight may be too high and not enough ambient lights. (which causes too high contrast) The image you used is not a sunset shot, so your car should receive more indirect light from surrounding objects. Shadows should be more defussed, set the area light parameter to get it a bit softer may be.
Also, the diffuse light comes from the sky and being blue, the shadows will have a blue touch aswell..
Thanks for the advice lads.. all taken onboard

Ironically, I removed the 'light affects shadow colour' option for some silly reason (although it still wouldn't have looked spot on).

I think I've somewhat confused myself a bit too with some settings as the background is mapped to a Vray light material with a 1.1 intensity. None of the light objects affect the background at all for obvious reasons (using exclude / include lists) but it was too dark so I had to make it self-illuminated slightly.. but as such, have actually increased the intensity a fair bit of the displayed sun area thus I think I've mixed some things up a bit trying to match a sunset too much for what's actually being displayed now.

I tried to up the global ambience a bit but it didn't seem to make much / any difference.. I was hoping to at least get _some_ definition on the wheels if nothing else but will try other methods with HDRI etc.

This is my first real attempt at outdoor lighting with Vray.. I struggled with Vray and brazil when I used it to create anything but an indoor studio type light effect, regardless of actual lights used.. and in contrast, can't seem to create indoor lighting for the life of me with finalRender, but outdoor seemed to work better with that (old attempt at external lighting with finalRender).

I'll test out some of the things mentioned here and see what I can come up with. I've got a whole DVD full of HDRI probes (800 or so) so there must be _one_ in there that'd give an effect I want.. just a bitch to find that one

Thanks again for the suggestions.. I want to get this right as I have a few other ideas of a similar nature for future renders

Regards,

Ian
My first renders, I need to learn a lot more.

I have this unfinished model on my hdd for about month, and I'm too lazy to finish it. So here is WIP version without lights, brakes, proper materials......
Call it Road legal XRR, or Riced XR, whatever
Attached images
wip.jpg
wip2.jpg
thats so hot
That looks great Zero. :wow:

I finished this about 5 mins ago.

Click for full size image.
Hi all..

A quick render of my first LFS skin in about 2 years.. clean and simple

Regards,

Ian
Attached images
FZR_RUF-studio_01.jpg
Quote from zero :I have this unfinished model on my hdd for about month, and I'm too lazy to finish it. So here is WIP version without lights, brakes, proper materials......

Very very nice! I think if you revise the back end, ie. ditch the outlets on the sides of the lights and give it a normal rear end and revise the mirrors you could have a fantastic looking modern coupe.
Hi

Here is a Render of our 24h Team Car and some other Team Renders.

Hope you like it.
Attached images
xfr24h5.jpg
xfrWallpaper4.jpg
wallpaperFXR4.jpg
wallpaper8.jpg
My teams drift skins for the XRT, FZ5 and XRR.
Attached images
Fazza's Drift Skins.jpg
-
(Taavi(EST)) DELETED by Taavi(EST)
Quote from zero :I have this unfinished model on my hdd for about month, and I'm too lazy to finish it. So here is WIP version without lights, brakes, proper materials......

Slap a noisy V8 into it and call it a XR TVR
XRR in pajamas.

That is sooo hot. They look like a proper supercar, should chunk any V-Type engine with a racing style/alcantra trim/leather etc.
-
(Supra226) DELETED by Supra226

3D LFS renders
(8243 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG