The online racing simulator
Misc add-ons in official screenshots ;)
Whoever made those textures, you could sue Scavier for at least not crediting you
Attached images
texture.jpg
It is probably one that scawen, or whoever took the screenshot made, thats if it was a dev that took the screenshot. Sueing them would just be a waste of time tbh. what would you get for a freeware texture. 5p?
best thread ever. lol
Not a big deal... good that they have added some new more representative screens to the screenshots page

One thing I don't understand, doesn't really relate to this thread tho, is that why all the default skins are lo-res 512x512... must be part of the general obsession for lo-res textures size or something.
Looks to me like the entire latest batch of screens were made by don.

I know i could be terribly wrong but it's just that the skins and the overall style of the screens and his movies match up pretty good.
I'm pretty sure they are from DoN too, when I noticed there was new ones, they all have DoN's style pictures.
There are textures in that shot which are from a SO update that I never got around to finishing. Granted, a few of them are taken from popular free texture sites- but others are from photos I've taken myself (I don't like having freely available textures in my releases which is part of the reason I didn't release anything for SO). But back to point- I would never think to sue the devs over this- I mean, what a horrible idea . If anything, I'm pleased that they've been able to use my work in a promotional shot for LFS.

edit: (or Don )

2nd edit: wish he'd used something from one of the more finished tracks though...
#8 - Don
Quote from deggis :Not a big deal... good that they have added some new more representative screens to the screenshots page

One thing I don't understand, doesn't really relate to this thread tho, is that why all the default skins are lo-res 512x512... must be part of the general obsession for lo-res textures size or something.

in our hires pack (see signature) are some default skins in 1024x1024
Quote from deggis :Not a big deal... good that they have added some new more representative screens to the screenshots page

Maybe so it can be played without needing a supercomputer perhaps? Maybe there should be a official downloadable 1024 pack from the forum for the people who want default 1024 textures
just a sidenote....
new/different textures are NOT an unofficial addon but an misc addon.
Quote from VTiRoj :Maybe so it can be played without needing a supercomputer perhaps? Maybe there should be a official downloadable 1024 pack from the forum for the people who want default 1024 textures

Even the hi-res track texture addon packs have very little effect on fps. And keeping the download size small? Are we still in 56 kpbs modem era?
Quote :...packs have very little effect on fps.

Tis true. Plus there's always the option of using compressed textures if you think your system can't handle it..
Maybe because the file would become too big, because it's also a demo.
Optional pack to download would be best option.
You are not forced but you can have still a choice to donwload better textures if you would like to do so.

I hope that Eric will do all upcoming textures with better resolution then he use now or at least he will use standard version and allow us to download hi-res version.We are in 2007 Eric

Thought some texture makers would have nothing to do then
Quote from hrtburnout :Maybe because the file would become too big, because it's also a demo.

Of course double sized textures would increase the file size, which is currently ONLY under 115 MB but so what? Nowadays 1 GB for a demo only is not exactly rare...

Quote from Electrik Kar :Tis true. Plus there's always the option of using compressed textures if you think your system can't handle it..

isn't that compressed option for skins only?
I also noticed the traffic light texture has changed as well. I guess it's just part of the hi-res pack.
Quote from deggis :isn't that compressed option for skins only?

There are two options. One is for the compressed/uncompressed skins and the other is for full/half textures.

Edit: For what it's worth, I think that all of Electrik Kars textures should be included with LFS, replacing the current textures. It wouldn't add much to the size of the archive but would GREATLY increase the out-of-the box perception of the game.

I've got a big directory with all of Electrik's textures, plus some updated dashboards, tire treads, sidewalls, etc. I've zipped the whole thing up and given it to my friends who play LFS. The difference is amazing, but most people don't have the time or patience to wade through the forums and sites to find better textures.
Oh, I just got confused because Kar was talking about compressed textures and that one is called "Full size textures" yes/no.

Maybe Electrik Kar and some other texture modders should team up and create some kind of all-in-one type "Unofficial Community Texture Addon" pack or whatever.
Quote from deggis :Maybe Electrik Kar and some other texture modders should team up and create some kind of all-in-one type "Unofficial Community Texture Addon" pack or whatever.

All that's really needed is to compile everything into one easy to install package. The hard part would be picking what to use since there are so many textures out there. Like I said, I've basically cherry picked my favorites and zipped them up for some friends. It wouldn't be too hard to do the same thing, with the authors' permission, and throw it up as a torrent.
I think one thing LFS should keep is its nice small file size. On the odd occasion I try another demo on the PC or my brothers xBox 360 I often get put off with downloading the 600mb+. You have to remember most people may have broadband but most have limits. Currently I have quite a high limit but doubt we can afford to keep it so will have to drop it down.

I see no reason why the devs couldn't have a section under the downloads for hi-res textures either made by the community or by Eric. At least that leaves an option for those with low usage / slow net connection or an old PC to use low res textures.

It certainly does make LFS look a lot nicer.
Quote :Maybe Electrik Kar and some other texture modders should team up and create some kind of all-in-one type "Unofficial Community Texture Addon" pack or whatever.

That could be an interesting project, and there are different approaches as to how it could work out- as outlined above. Heck, why don't we simply hassle Cue-Ball for his handpicked .zip!? hehe

Whatever happens, it's pretty clear (imo) that LFS is presently in need of some higher quality graphics (for the people who think graphics matter). Whether community content will be eventually allowed to be rolled into the game or not is fairly non-issue (apart from the potiential 'glory' factor). This stuff's already available, it just needs to be slightly better accessed. As Keiran suggests maybe a new section for high-res downloads/skins or whatever. But I guess that still leaves the problem of first impressions.

(another approach) The argument that if larger file-size graphical content was added, you'd have to download a larger demo, to me is shortsighted- as 80% of the graphical content in the demo-file is unavailable in the demo, you're downloading graphics for the full game. A community high-res pack would add maybe upto 200meg at most, probably well under. Not really a problem.. (again for the people who think graphics matter). Also, hearing MRodger's testimonial that he's able to run high-res textures on his crappy old computer, and even has broadband now(!) (pardon MRodgers! ) suggests that it's maybe time to start looking forwards rather than backwards in the GFX realm...

I'll stop there- feel like I'm blowing my own trumpet (and other peoples) a tad too loudly. The dev's will get it sorted in time. They may not (probably don't) want our stuff... If they do, then that's great! If they don't, then that's fine too.

Now Cue-Ball, about that .zip?
That`s what you get for eating while you post :P
Whatever do you mean, unseen?
If this community addon pack ever gets started, another idea: there could be separate packs for 1) only tracks & skies 2) cars (interiors etc) 3) all other stuff. Most important is that download links are in one thread, it doesn't really matter do you need to download one or three files. With separate packs maybe easier to update it and smaller size to download if someone doesn't want to get all the stuff.

And what about an actual installer.exe, where you could choose between certain different addons made for same track or whatever. Less hazzle than with ZIP files. I've never made any installers though...

And then just keep an accurate listing in the readme "x textures made by user123". IMHO no need for asking permission from everyone... that would take forever.

So I could be interested combining this some kind of community addon pack
A concern is.. atleast speaking for my own textures, I don't really consider them (some atleast) complete and final yet. I'm always working on stuff, so If something were to be released soon, then I would probably feel a little frustrated at having things in there that were below standard. A big pack has that inflexibility- most people wouldn't be interested in downloading the weekly, or even monthly, community download pack. I still think LFS database is probably the best way to get hold of the community stuff. It's flexible, allows choice, it's pretty inclusive, and it's easily update-able.

hmm...

edit: how about a nice simple inclusive pack for demo players? -tracks/interiors/skins/setups?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG