The online racing simulator

Poll : Would u find a separate slider just for Hand/E/P/Brake usefull ?

Closed since :
Yes
I think the starter of this poll / thread is an idiot
No
I Don't know / I don't care
Would u find a separate slider just for Hand/E/P/Brake usefull ?
Would u find a separate slider just for Hand/E/P/Brake usefull ?
It would affect only the amount of braking power of the rear brakes when pulling or pressing the handbrake lever / button ...
no matter digital or analogue

I would , specially for autox / Rallycross / drifting ...when making a tight u turn ... like in WRC
forexample ...

I like my braking power setting, except for those u-turns , and sometimes other driving
techniques don't work as good for it IMO

Also if u chose no ... why not ?

Edit 10/04 : Here's an example where I could use more powerfull / or maybe a quicker
handbrake... ( Especially in the last turn and sometimes in the opposite end U-turn in addition
to weight shifting etc ... depends much on the situation, and not always needed, but since yet
I am not a machine=allways same perfomance at every lap , the handbrake SOMETIMES saves
me from crashing )

The replay, and the layout so you can try it for yourself ( Fun ) :
Attached files
Example.spr - 44.8 KB - 121 views
FE6_Example.lyt - 3 KB - 120 views
What kind of slider you mean?
I think he means making it analogue, so you can make use of a user made hand brake.

But I'm not sure.
Quote from DTrott :I think he means making it analogue, so you can make use of a user made hand brake.

But you can already set handbrake for a separate axle, so it can't be it.
I don't know then.
Ah, the first post has now been edited to answer the question.
I think we had this conversation before, as this used to be in S1.
Long as it has some grain of realism in it I don't mind.
Yeah, we had this option, but it was removed back in S1 days due to people exploiting it. I suppose it was easier than performing checks on it.
Quote from Bob Smith :Yeah, we had this option, but it was removed back in S1 days due to people exploiting it. I suppose it was easier than performing checks on it.

how did they exploit it?

+1 for having it back lol
"They" hex edited memory to make the handbrake negative, then applied it on the straights for a large acceleration boost.
Quote from Bob Smith :"They" hex edited memory to make the handbrake negative, then applied it on the straights for a large acceleration boost.

Couldn't you do it with a button though?

EDIT : Not the 60 seconds thing ...
Quote from duke_toaster :Couldn't you do it with a button though?

EDIT : Not the 60 seconds thing ...

not sure what you mean, but yes you can use te handbrake as a button
and i'm guessing bob is referring to the notorious "NOS" cheat we had back in S1
Call it what you want, it was physically modelling as a negative handbrake.

duke - I have no idea what you're going on about either.
I've never used the handbrake for anything, so a "no" from me.
#14 - Gunn
I can't increase the braking power of my real handbrake. Yes it can be adjusted to work better, but that doesn't make it any stronger. The handbrake in LFS seems to take too long to activate though.
Quote from Gunn :I can't increase the braking power of my real handbrake. Yes it can be adjusted to work better, but that doesn't make it any stronger.

the way i see it is as a simple way of setting how much you pull the handbrake if you dont have a analogue handbrake
plus if im not mistaken the handbrake is now somehow linked to the other brake setting which isnt particularly realistic either
Quote from Shotglass :the way i see it is as a simple way of setting how much you pull the handbrake if you dont have a analogue handbrake
plus if im not mistaken the handbrake is now somehow linked to the other brake setting which isnt particularly realistic either

Handbrakes are related to service brakes, since they use the same rear brakes as the service brakes do. Some cars have special drum in disk systems that use the discs for normal braking and the drums for the handbrake though. Anyway, they are related in the sense that their braking power is very much attributed to the friction coefficient between the brake pad and disc/drum. The only difference is the actuation, which is still a mechanical cable in many cases IRL. There are those annoying electronic e-brake systems in some cars too, but that's not the chief point here. For your mechanical cable actuated handbrake, the limits to power are:

1. Friction coefficent between the brake pads and disc/drum
2. Maximum cable tension the system can take without damage
3. Strength of the human operator.

Assuming of course the brakes aren't already overheated, worn, etc.
4. Coefficient of friction between road and tyres, and to a lesser extent between wheel and tyre
5. Proportion of mass over rear wheels at time of actuation
6. Whether the rear wheels are driven or not, and a few bits about diff/clutch engagement.
7. Lewers lenght that multiplies overall braking strengh?
1st post edited
8. doesnt change any of what i said that the max braking torque of the handbrake is at best loosely connected to the braking toque of the hydraulic brakes
Quote from Gunn :I can't increase the braking power of my real handbrake. Yes it can be adjusted to work better, but that doesn't make it any stronger. The handbrake in LFS seems to take too long to activate though.

I totally agree that the e-brake takes too long, and it's because we can't control the analogue smoothing enough. I'd like to see an option making the e-brake input from a digital key instant instead of the annoying smoothing. I am considering buying a frex e-brake, and since it operates as an on/off switch and not an analogue axis, I want the damn thing to be instant

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG