The online racing simulator
Quote from corsair_bs :Hmmm, this is kind of annoying to me... :-(

The main advantage of LFS was that it is NOT an arcade-like game, that allows you to hit obstacles without getting any damage and pushing some marvelous buttons that resets everything (i wish i had one of those in the real life, sometimes).

Will the arcade option be turned off by defaukt on multiplayer servers, then?

greets from germany,

corsair_bs

As far as I'm aware the arcade option is off by deafult. I think Scawen's thinking behind the idea is servers will hopefully all go down the `hardcore` route rather than just keep the same setting as there was before hand.
Quote from geeman1 :LFS is a hardcore sim, so the only mode is the hardcore mode

This is BS, maybe 20-25% of the licenced users are hardcore racing drivers.
Lot of people just want to have fun for an hour after a hard day at work or even only once a week and they just don't care about stupid options like pressing on a button to 'simulate' a clutch, as if it could be realistic.
If they can't reset they will simply leave the server and/or the game.

Because yes, still it's a video game.
You won't stop people from drifting if they want to do so, you won't stop people from playing cops and robbers or from cruising on some carribean coast.
It's up to the servers owners to decide what kind of options they want to use.

Not to mention that not everyone can afford a G25. Lot of people are using a mouse or even a keyboard and LFS is an expensive game in some countries and/or for some people.
It would even be a big mistake from Scawen to ignore this large part of the licenced users: the gamers. Nothing worst for any kind of industry to aim at one (group of) customer only. The more audience LFS will have, the best it will be for everyone.

Edit:
Bit OT for the test patch thread, sorry about that.
Remove/move this post if needed.
/Edit
#53 - XsX!
hi scawen, i've spotted a bug.
i was in a server with 25+ people, and i couldnt save the setups other people sent me."configuration saved" but after that, when in pit screen, the setup is lost.
tried many times, but same result, even deleted some sets, but no difference.
#54 - axus
Nice patch, thanks.

Quote from DEVIL 007 :I know Scawen you would like threw a hammer at me but untill there will be made some big optimalization to the 3d engine(not just LOD variables or similar thingy) to have some more FPS, having 32cars is very nice update but useless for most of the people because being at the end or almost at the end of the grid with 32cars you will have like 10-20 FPS with which is very hard to race from start and not causing any crashes.Just my opinion.

I have to agree with this...
I was just on a server, with 22 cars or so. With 5 on screen, my PC really struggled. I got in the order of 25-35 FPS. This is a 3.0GHz P4 64bit, 512MB RAM, 6600GT 128MB graphics card. Without AA and AF, at my LCD's native res (1280x1024), with LODs set to about mid way between the minimum and the maximum, compressed skins and even half size textures. I'm starting to think there's something wrong, but I've got the latest drivers, my graphics card can't be underpowered (500W PSU) and nothing apart from MSN was running in the background.
Quote from XsX! :hi scawen, i've spotted a bug.
i was in a server with 25+ people, and i couldnt save the setups other people sent me."configuration saved" but after that, when in pit screen, the setup is lost.
tried many times, but same result, even deleted some sets, but no difference.

you sure your in the right car?
W10
Can I install this directly overtop of W10 or do I have to install W again?
Quote from BuddhaBing :A question re: qualifying sessions starting from the pits. Given that there are a limited number of pit stalls/boxes on some track configs, there can be a situation where there are more players in a session than there are available pit boxes. What happens in this case? Are some players locked out of the qualifying session until a pit box becomes available? Do several players start from the same pit box (possible collision problem here)? Will more pit boxes be added to these track configs?

There are as many pit starts as grid slots (32 in most places). If you find anywhere that is not the case, please report it, that would be a serious issue.

Quote from DEVIL 007 :just got some OOS with W17 but was slow to note down the exact message:-(

Was it a "JOOS" just when you connected (ok) or a real "OOS" after you had been there for a while (bad).

Quote from N I K I :My pit spotter doesn't work now!

All InSim packets have changed, so all InSim programs must be updated.
Quote from axus :
I have to agree with this...
I was just on a server, with 22 cars or so. With 5 on screen, my PC really struggled. I got in the order of 25-35 FPS. This is a 3.0GHz P4 64bit, 512MB RAM, 6600GT 128MB graphics card. Without AA and AF, at my LCD's native res (1280x1024), with LODs set to about mid way between the minimum and the maximum, compressed skins and even half size textures. I'm starting to think there's something wrong, but I've got the latest drivers, my graphics card can't be underpowered (500W PSU) and nothing apart from MSN was running in the background.

Hm, can't seem to agree with this, i have a Atlhon XP(Barton) 2500+, 512 ddr and a Radeon 9550 128mb, and when starting with 20 + people from the back, FPS can go bellow 25, but never bellow 20, and after T1, it's on the 35, 40 with 8, 9, 10 cars ahead of/behind me, and when alone or in a batlle with someone, it's 50, 55, 60.. And i tend to have all the High res textures..
Haven't tried W9, nor W17, but one guy at our local forum, said he got 10+ more FPS with W9...
#59 - XsX!
Quote from DANDAMAN05 :you sure your in the right car?

err. yeah. it was for the other car.
less havana for me next time
I was just in frankys server and had a fair ammount of cars infront of me too,
FPS was around 40 (surprisingly), but I really think its about time the LOD system really needs to get a shakedown (although I'm guessing it was in Patch V). But as far as dynamic LOD goes, I think it may need to be boosted when servers start filling up (if they ever do).
Nice patch, good move starting qual in the pits.

Don't really care about the 32 car grid, though. I'm just the not one of those that thinks bigger grids means better races (quite the opposite, in fact, I hope most servers don't run 32 just because they can).

I think we really need that "reverse top X places" option for public servers too.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :... having 32cars is very nice update but useless for most of the people because being at the end or almost at the end of the grid with 32cars you will have like 10-20 FPS...

Quote from axus :I was just on a server, with 22 cars or so. With 5 on screen, my PC really struggled. I got in the order of 25-35 FPS...

How much optimisation can there be (I dunno of course), do you want 32 cars on grid and MX 440 as VGA card? Nobody is forcing you to go 20+ server. I know my 9600XT will certainly choke, but I won't ask Scawen to stop developing LFS because of that (adding more racer slots in this case). In leagues like MoE, it would be understandable if there is a requirement: "participant's PC must be powerful enough to handle 32 cars on track (+ spectators).
Argh! Just when I go visiting my parents and have no wheel
Quote from Scawen :There are as many pit starts as grid slots (32 in most places). If you find anywhere that is not the case, please report it, that would be a serious issue.

SO Classic, Long and Town all appear to have 30 pit slots, assuming that there are no pit slots in the pit-lane itself.

I'm not sure how pit slots are counted in SO Sprint1 and Sprint2 but assuming that they correspond to the parking spots painted on the tarmac, they have 24 and 20 respectively.

It would be nice to find 32 players to test each of the track configs. Any volunteers?
I HAVE A LITTLE QUESTION PLEASE, THIS VERSION IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH THE RECENT W, THEN THAT THIS NEW VERSION WHEN HAS READY, IT WILL BE THE NEW LFS S3? OR JUST ANOTHER MORE OF S2, EXAMPLE LFS S2_X???

MAYBE YOU MUST THINK ABOUT THE RAIN, OR THE GLASSES CRASHED, ETC.

HOWEVER I LOVE LFS

PD. excuse my bad english
Quote from NeoArnold :I HAVE A LITTLE QUESTION PLEASE, THIS VERSION IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH THE RECENT W, THEN THAT THIS NEW VERSION WHEN HAS READY, IT WILL BE THE NEW LFS S3? OR JUST ANOTHER MORE OF S2, EXAMPLE LFS S2_X???

MAYBE YOU MUST THINK ABOUT THE RAIN, OR THE GLASSES CRASHED, ETC.

HOWEVER I LOVE LFS

PD. excuse my bad english

read the 1st post again about patch x ect.
how do i got back to the .5W version so i can race on the other servers?
Still wondering if its possible to install this patch directly over W10
Quote from faster111 :read the 1st post again about patch x ect.

where is that post?

could you please write me the link? thanks
Quote from Little Dump :Still wondering if its possible to install this patch directly over W10

Off course it is, how would you do it otherwise?
There should be some guide for these test patches, and it would be less spam in these threads..
MAKE ONE MORE LFS COPY, (copy your LFS folder elsewhere, on other partition for example) and play with test patches with that version, and leave the other one for official updates.. Isn't that so obvious?
Quote from Boris Lozac :Hm, can't seem to agree with this, i have a Atlhon XP(Barton) 2500+, 512 ddr and a Radeon 9550 128mb, and when starting with 20 + people from the back, FPS can go bellow 25, but never bellow 20, and after T1, it's on the 35, 40 with 8, 9, 10 cars ahead of/behind me, and when alone or in a batlle with someone, it's 50, 55, 60.. And i tend to have all the High res textures..
Haven't tried W9, nor W17, but one guy at our local forum, said he got 10+ more FPS with W9...

An automatic LOD reduction when there are many cars are on screen would be a great feature, like I mentioned in another thread my comp will go from 92fps constantly to 30 when I can see all the cars on screen at once. I am not sure what part of my graphics card it is maxing with the cars to drop like that, are the car models that detailed?
I am going to make a prediction; I predict that the final, compatible patch will allow 24-28 cars on the grid, not 32. I am in the belief that Scawen would like feedback to see just how far this game can be pushed, then scale it back to a level for people with normal computers can use.

It seems logical and, I dunno, Scawenish.
Quote from BuddhaBing :SO Classic, Long and Town all appear to have 30 pit slots, assuming that there are no pit slots in the pit-lane itself.

I'm not sure how pit slots are counted in SO Sprint1 and Sprint2 but assuming that they correspond to the parking spots painted on the tarmac, they have 24 and 20 respectively.

It would be nice to find 32 players to test each of the track configs. Any volunteers?

You only need 11 Player and a sevrer configured to handle 3 cars per connection

Edit:
FE RallyX GReen fill it up with 20 AI's, type /pit_all and watch the last 2 cars
Attached images
pit_all.jpg
Awesome to drive with so many people at the same time

I like the different relays and false starts, but I wish the Green Lights to be away, because on alot of tracks the start sign is simply the Red Lights going out, like that better. In F1 it is 5 pairs of red lights going on at the same time gaps but all go off after a different range of seconds.
This thread is closed

Incompatible TEST W17 - 32 Cars
(341 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG