The online racing simulator
I'm late to see this. Anyway,

I think DP1 would result the same way as RA, which is the least used car in LFS along with LXs. Even though RA and LX are quite interesting, they are hard to drive, and people choose more usual and controllable cars. In the top of usage statistics is the Formula XR, with its excelent handling.

DP1 is unquestionably overpowered. BF1 has 1,3hp/kg, FO8 has 7,6hp/kg, RA has "just" 3,1hp/kg but no downforce. DP1, with aero much weaker than that of single-seaters, will be between FO8 and BF1. I'm sure, most people won't be enthusiastic of racing it.

Of course, the car in nice, and everyone, including me, are interested in trying it, as well as any other new model and researching its behaviour. The question is if people will be racing in it frequently.

I see many other important things to do. As for vehicles, these are karts, rally cars, Le Mans prototypes and motorbikes.
I want it, i want it!!!!

woo me me me me me me me me me me me me! =)
Guys,
dont wanna make you feeling sad but there was already lost a big opportunity for another ... but it did not happend .I guess devs has more important things to do then adding no-name car in LFS and I am towards improving the simulation rather then having no-name car.

I dont see the DP1 in LFS possible now.Maybe later after S2 final.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :I dont see the DP1 in LFS possible now.Maybe later after S2 final.

Well of course, I don't think it was ever on the cards to be included as part of S2.
been playing with the W patch on my newly built system - finally can run it at 1920x1080 and it looks great! getting over 90 fps at that resolution at LOD 1.0 when i don't limit it. whether my car will ever make it into the game or not i don't know (would be great, obviously) but i like the improvements in rendering. as i said before, i'm sure the devs can manage their priorities

btw, after a couple RL trackdays i got a whole lot worse at LFS - not that i ever got good at it to begin with but it is more clear to me now where the differences in skillsets lie. LFS is definitely useful and continues to impress. a friend of mine tried it yesterday and immediately asked for the link to download. he is a hardcore car guy and was involved as a sort of informal 'consultant' in development of both PS and Xbox games a couple years ago (one of his cars was recorded on a dyno by microsoft for the game sound) and he said it was the fist time he saw a game that was reasonably close to driving, as opposed to just being a game.
Quote from dpcars :been playing with the W patch on my newly built system - finally can run it at 1920x1080 and it looks great! getting over 90 fps at that resolution at LOD 1.0 when i don't limit it. whether my car will ever make it into the game or not i don't know (would be great, obviously) but i like the improvements in rendering. as i said before, i'm sure the devs can manage their priorities

btw, after a couple RL trackdays i got a whole lot worse at LFS - not that i ever got good at it to begin with but it is more clear to me now where the differences in skillsets lie. LFS is definitely useful and continues to impress. a friend of mine tried it yesterday and immediately asked for the link to download. he is a hardcore car guy and was involved as a sort of informal 'consultant' in development of both PS and Xbox games a couple years ago (one of his cars was recorded on a dyno by microsoft for the game sound) and he said it was the fist time he saw a game that was reasonably close to driving, as opposed to just being a game.

Have you tried the new test patch? It has preload added to the setup options, and makes a major difference imo.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=23009

Patch W car sounds any better to you? (seeming as you aren't in the situation where you are used to the old ones)
Quote from dpcars :been playing with the W patch on my newly built system - finally can run it at 1920x1080 and it looks great! getting over 90 fps at that resolution at LOD 1.0 when i don't limit it. whether my car will ever make it into the game or not i don't know (would be great, obviously) but i like the improvements in rendering. as i said before, i'm sure the devs can manage their priorities

90fps with a a full grid of AI cohorts? nice.

As for Xbox "sims" even Forza2 and others fall so short of real driving, it's pretty much a big black eye for the console racing genre how poorly it is implemented. And even worse how it is defended/excuses made.
Nice to see the DP1 isn't taking too much of a hit from your LFS endeavors Also new in the W9 and W10 test patches; FALSE STARTS!
That must be a nice system you've got there. Patch W10 is worth trying out, if for the preload on the clutch-pack alone - it's so thrilling if you set up the car correctly, you can just chuck it into corners at speeds I've not dreamed of before. So much fun.

A physics patch is next up after Patch X I think (which Scawen said he hopes to release in around 2 weeks) - I really look forward to that, major physics patches always make LFS feel leaps and bounds better.
Quote from Mister2zx3 :90fps with a a full grid of AI cohorts? nice.

As for Xbox "sims" even Forza2 and others fall so short of real driving, it's pretty much a big black eye for the console racing genre how poorly it is implemented. And even worse how it is defended/excuses made.

nope, that's solo. haven't really played much with multi-car stuff, ai or otherwise. same goes for setups - i tried a few changes just to see what they do but that's about it.

i'll get to it eventually (better be AFTER the atom is running!)
Quote from DaveWS :

Patch W car sounds any better to you? (seeming as you aren't in the situation where you are used to the old ones)

they do, although IMO audio remains something that could be improved... it seems the major challenge is finding actual car sounds? i don't know much about doing sound files but if you let me know exactly what is needed, i could try sending my friend's DAT deck along for a ride in a few cars over the summer. it's a bit unpredictable as to who is running what and when but generally cars are here and i do have varying access to them, though some may take a while to get. if this would help just email me direct with details and wish list...
Quote from dpcars :it seems the major challenge is finding actual car sounds?

actually no since lfs doesnt use fully sampled engine sounds
however high quality recordings might help with refining the engine sounds rather than relying on highly distorted youtube videos
press shift-A (i think) in the w patch version and you'll understand how sounds are generated in LFS.

ps. Lovely car - what a fascinating project. Best of luck to you.
Quote from detail :
I think DP1 would result the same way as RA, which is the least used car in LFS along with LXs. Even though RA and LX are quite interesting, they are hard to drive, and people choose more usual and controllable cars.

Lol... That certainly is one opinion.

In fact I'd estimate that the DP1 would be one of the most usable and controlable cars in LFS. It has AWD and Slick tires... Low and Central COG, and probably the largest mechanical grip of anything but maybe the FXR. Its designed that way IRL, and would presumably carry over to LFS.

Quote from detail :
DP1 is unquestionably overpowered. BF1 has 1,3hp/kg, FO8 has 7,6hp/kg, RA has "just" 3,1hp/kg but no downforce. DP1, with aero much weaker than that of single-seaters, will be between FO8 and BF1. I'm sure, most people won't be enthusiastic of racing it.

Again, unquestionably? The RA has no downforce, the DP1 may have weaker aero than fox, but Mechanical Grip will be much higher, and will have considerable aero.

I imagine, in LFS speak, it would be a cross of some of the easy drive behavior of a FXR XFR mix (low weight and AWD), the lightness and handling similar to the FOX, and the outright accleration somewhere close/between the FO8 and BF1. Just my guesses, but have you even looked at the design of the car?

P.S. any upcoming trackdays planned for any of your toys DP?
Wheres the V8?? It looks like an inline 4 motorbike engine..... & exhaust
Quote from Foilpact :Wheres the V8?? It looks like an inline 4 motorbike engine..... & exhaust

That's because V8s weigh as much as a small house.
Quote from Crashgate3 :That's because V8s weigh as much as a small house.

Just because its said in the specs -
Engine: Custom 2800cc V8, 375hp @10,000 RPM, 220 lb-ft @6500 RPM
#368 - ev0
The current prototype uses a gsxr1300 motor, the final product will use a custom v8 build from two gsxr1300 motors. If you read on the dpcars website, you will see a concurrent project where one of these v8's is being shoehorned into an ariel atom
Quote from ev0 :If you read on the dpcars website...

People don't read websites - they generally aren't clever enough. Best to spell things out for the simpletons...
didnt anyone notice the words 4wd and drift ??? two woulds that dont go together
Crashgate3 - the number of cyclinders doesn't necessarily correspond to the mass of the engine. Just look at the BRM V16, only 1.5 litres so I doubt it weighed that much.
Yeah, the Hartley V8 being used weighs only about 200lb, less than a lot of 4-cylinder car engines!
Quote from Michael Denham :Yeah, the Hartley V8 being used weighs only about 200lb, less than a lot of 4-cylinder car engines!

So when do you think these engines will become comon enough to swap them in to our Miata's?
Haha, yeah that would be nice! I haven't read much about them but from what Dennis has said on his website, they cost around $28k US and only a few have been made so far. Would make the ultimate Miata though I'm sure!
Quote from srdsprinter :Lol... That certainly is one opinion.

In fact I'd estimate that the DP1 would be one of the most usable and controlable cars in LFS. It has AWD and Slick tires... Low and Central COG, and probably the largest mechanical grip of anything but maybe the FXR. Its designed that way IRL, and would presumably carry over to LFS.

Again, unquestionably? The RA has no downforce, the DP1 may have weaker aero than fox, but Mechanical Grip will be much higher, and will have considerable aero.

I imagine, in LFS speak, it would be a cross of some of the easy drive behavior of a FXR XFR mix (low weight and AWD), the lightness and handling similar to the FOX, and the outright accleration somewhere close/between the FO8 and BF1. Just my guesses, but have you even looked at the design of the car?

P.S. any upcoming trackdays planned for any of your toys DP?

so far based on the prototype testing and whatever acceleration sims were done, the v8 dp1 should actually out-accelerate BF1 up to around 80-90 mph simply due to better traction. at over 100 BF1 would pull away definitely. the main advantage of dp1 is the ability to put power down out of corners, it is quite evident even in the prototype. to give an LFS example, if you mash the throttle on medium or low speed corner exit in FO8 or BF1 the back end will want to take the lead. do the same in UFR and the front end will run wide. the dp1 is between the two (for obvious reasons), it just pulls cleanly out. also, mechanical grip should be pretty much unmatched due to very wide track, lots of rubber on the road, very low unsprung weight (small wheels/tires, inboard brakes and shocks). so on tighter tracks dp1 may well be the fastest car out there.

where the car is at a bit of a disadvantage is on long straights and high-speed corners, it tends to be a bit 'nervous' and if a spin does develop it's very difficult to catch. the solution is to always be ready to apply more power, it stabilizes the car. so on longer tracks with high-speed corners and long straights the power and downforce of BF1 would make it faster. possibly the FO8 as well, but that's a close call. well, that's all assuming dp1 ever makes it into LFS

anyway, this is all just theories at this point and everyone is entitled to their own theory

DP1 in LFS possibility [warning : large images]
(489 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG