The online racing simulator
Universities
(46 posts, started )
Quote from mantis9 :Southamptons good for marine architecture, if you like sailing :boat:

I say OU all the way, ok so it will take longer, but I work as well so I get to eat more than beans, and no lectures! If they do the course you want, Id seriously look at it, needs a fair bit of dedication though.

What you eat greatly depends on the pockets of the people in your house. Here most people cook up some amazing meals... but then, they can cook >.< I have all the stuff to make the same, but the only thing I can cook is pasta, and burgers (until someone stole them all )

My dad is thinking about doing OU. But imho, it's not a great idea, unless you have unpresedented dedication, and you know most of the stuff, as you can't just grab a tutor at the end of a lecture if you do that.
I dunno about British Universities.... They never EVER have a team
make the NCAA Final Four. And I don't think Any of the schools
in their conference gets picked for any of the Bowl games.
And with all the Bowl games out there, you'd think at least ONE
of those schools would at least get invited for the liberty bowl or something..... Geesh, & they sat that Oxford school is so good...
Yeah, right. When they make the Rose Bowl, then maybe, but til then,
may as well get an education from Holy Cross
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :My dad is thinking about doing OU. But imho, it's not a great idea, unless you have unpresedented dedication, and you know most of the stuff, as you can't just grab a tutor at the end of a lecture if you do that.

You do need dedication but Im not sure its much more than a regular degree, its all modular so you only take as many courses as you think you can manage. You also get a tutor for each course who you can meet in person at tutorial meetings about once a month, they are not compulsory though. There are many OU forums available to you from the most general catagory down to just the people on your course, and then just the people in your tutor group (20 to 40 people depending on your region) so help is never far away.
Imho the internet has made degree work alot more productive, correspondance courses are now much more practical.
I'm considering doing an OU degree. I should've applied to uni last year but didn't. Course fees have now gone up and I'm not sure I fancy all the debt of going to a 'proper' uni. With open uni the actual courses will cost next to nothing because of grants (I think it will cost something when I get a job though). As you can do your studying whenever you want, there should be no problem in getting a job even if studying enough to get the degree in 3 years. I want to work towards the BEng degree, and have started with a level 1 maths course which is quite easy having just done A-levels but I don't know yet whether I want to continue. My only concern at the minute is whether employers would have as much respect for an OU degree as they would a normal one. I'm definately going to try and get a somewhat related job while I study to try and make up for any practical experience missed by doing an OU degree.
Quote from mantis9 :You do need dedication but Im not sure its much more than a regular degree, its all modular so you only take as many courses as you think you can manage. You also get a tutor for each course who you can meet in person at tutorial meetings about once a month, they are not compulsory though. There are many OU forums available to you from the most general catagory down to just the people on your course, and then just the people in your tutor group (20 to 40 people depending on your region) so help is never far away.
Imho the internet has made degree work alot more productive, correspondance courses are now much more practical.

Yes. From what I've seen so far there is plenty of help available. There are tutorials to attend if you wish. My tutor even phoned up at the start to check everything was ok and tell me that help was available if required. The forums available look like they will be very useful when doing the harder courses courses, as will the tutorials.
Course fees have gone up sure, but with a student loan, you dont pay them off till after Uni. The costs are just your living costs, such as rent and food etc.
Quote from markredden :Course fees have gone up sure, but with a student loan, you dont pay them off till after Uni. The costs are just your living costs, such as rent and food etc.

Yes, and my rent sucks. Around £710, £710, and £500 payments D: For a total of £1919.19 (hehe, what a great rent price). And that's for 36 weeks, in a cube no bigger then most peoples toilet...
Quote from the_angry_angel :I'm there for comp sci with distributed and mobile networks - although I might transfer after the first year, depending if I get the choice

Cardiff would be the Comp Science, and Newport would be the Computing
I'm in a Design Foundation course here at Humber College in Ontario right now. If all goes well, I'll be here for another 4 years for Industrial/Automotive Design.

MAGGOT
I'm at Manchester studying Biology. It's a fantastic place - amazing nightlife, food, shopping, people, transportation, events, etc. Not too far from home home either, but just far enough to keep the parents from visiting regularly.

The only thing is the rain.
There's a lot of rain.

It doesn't bother me though.
Quote from chakra :I'm at Manchester studying Biology. It's a fantastic place - amazing nightlife, food, shopping, people, transportation, events, etc. Not too far from home home either, but just far enough to keep the parents from visiting regularly.

The only thing is the rain.
There's a lot of rain.

It doesn't bother me though.

KEKE, I'm close to Manchester City Centre then j00 :P
And my uni isn't even in Manchester

And agreed on the parents part, though mine like to come up every two weeks to bring food and washing (yes, my mummy still does it for me ), but I had to ban my mum from the kitchen. Every time she came over she'd spend ages cleaning it, and it wasn't really on.

The rain is fun, I enjoy watching people wait 10-20 minutes for the uni bus so not to get wet, yet they wait in the rain for 10-20 minutes, when from where we are, is only a 10-15 minute walk... It makes no sense.

But I hate Manchester now One of the main reasons why I came up here has turned to shit and I blame Manchester
After reading this thread after posting the wisecrack about UK schools
not being in the NCAA (they really should what with jet planes & all)
I got to thinking. To get degrees at universities and colleges in differrent
countries, are the same required courses and amount of semester hours
the same, about the same or radically different? I realize some one majoring in History in Sweden wouldn't have to learn a whole lot of
French history. Is there some sort of equivilancy standard or something?
From what I have read in some meterial we was given, the world is trying to set a standard, but American schools don't seem to want to be part of it. I'll dig around and trying and find the handout which was talking about this.
But in most cases a degree in one place is valid all over the world. No matter how easy it is to get in one country. I know a Doctor back home who got his degree in India as it was easier then getting it here so he tells me. Which is kind of freaky... as he is my doctor D:
A cool guy, just I didn't want him to tell me that little fact about him, but his not killed me yet, so who cares

[edit: Re-reading what you said. I don't think this answers the quetsion.]
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :From what I have read in some meterial we was given, the world is trying to set a standard, but American schools don't seem to want to be part of it. I'll dig around and trying and find the handout which was talking about this.
But in most cases a degree in one place is valid all over the world. No matter how easy it is to get in one country. I know a Doctor back home who got his degree in India as it was easier then getting it here so he tells me. Which is kind of freaky... as he is my doctor D:
A cool guy, just I didn't want him to tell me that little fact about him, but his not killed me yet, so who cares

[edit: Re-reading what you said. I don't think this answers the quetsion.]

I guess it's close enough... I can sort a see why they're not really eager to get on the standardized band wagon.... It was hard enough for just the colleges and universities in this country to agree to what they do... LOL
could you imagine that many egos and more trying to agree on something
like that? But most importantly, How come the UK doesn't have any NCAA basketball teams? If one of the Tallest players in the NBA comes from China, then at least Cambridge ought to be able to play against Duke in March wouldn't you think? LOL I can see it now... Cambridge, Home of the fighting redcoats... lol maybe get a real good player and call him "The Tower of London" Sorry haven't had much sleep
#40 - Ant
Whats is NCAA ? and what is NBA ? Come to think of it, Basketball ?? nobody here plays that, too much like netball which is a bit of a girls sport. My old university had a football team. If America took up football, could get some games of that going.
I've Applied at:

Southampton
Cardiff
Sheffield
Hertfordshire - Does anyone know anything about this uni, not seen anyone who's ever been.

Lincoln
Bournemouth

*Please note* I'm trying to get away from the parents hehe!
Quote from Ant :Whats is NCAA ? and what is NBA ? Come to think of it, Basketball ?? nobody here plays that, too much like netball which is a bit of a girls sport. My old university had a football team. If America took up football, could get some games of that going.

American Football, baseball and basketball are girls sports.
Basketball is netball.
Baseball is rounders with armor and bigger bats because they have no skill
American football is rugby with body armor because they are girls

And screw soccer, lame sport. We need to bring back this:

and this:

and this:

Oh yeah, manly sports, none of this girly stuff.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :American Football, baseball and basketball are girls sports.
Basketball is netball.
American football is rugby with body armor because they are girls

And screw soccer, lame sport. We need to bring back this:
picture
and this:
picture
and this:
picture

Oh yeah, manly sports, none of this girly stuff.

Agreed in many ways. But can we keep Spark Ignition Internal Combustion Gasoline engines even if we go back to the 'dark ages'.

On that note - I bet the dark ages were just as bright as the current age, if not brighter.
[quote=P5YcHoM4N]American Football, baseball and basketball are girls sports.
Basketball is netball.
American football is rugby with body armor because they are girls ...

ROFL!!!!!

and this:

Uhh... these two photos look alot like American foot ball... both during and After the game
Getting way off topic now but...
Quote from tristancliffe :On that note - I bet the dark ages were just as bright as the current age, if not brighter.

Well, the moon is currently moving further and further away from the Earth, so it would have been somewhat closer all those years ago, so maybe a TINY bit brighter at night. And as for daytime, they hadn't polluted the skies with crap (well, ignoring the ritual burning of castles, their occupants, and witches), so maybe more daylight got through as well.
my dad was renting his house out in ickenham to students from brunel ,

one of my friends goes to Bath uni and hosts a radio show on campus, and another friend says brighton uni is very nice "and has lots of weed" which helps
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken

Universities
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG