The online racing simulator
#26 - Rish
1.. Vauxhall Corsa : smashed that into the back of someone!
2.. Ford Courier Van : gave up on me!
3.. Bedford Astra Van: 119mph and it still runs!
4.. Citroen C15 Van: Went straight into a skip at about 15mph!
5.. MG ZR: Launched the keys back at the dealer when MG went bust!
6.. Citroen Relay van: Still running!
7.. (the girlfriends) Rover 214: Still trying to kill that one!!!
Quote from danowat :You would think so wouldn't you, but when you are young (well, when I was young) things like Oil and Water weren't too important

Yea, you just picked the wrong cars. Note in my thread my 1988 Toyota 4Runner, bought for $6000 with 105,000 miles in 1996. I changed the oil, sparkplugs and wires, fuel filter, and air filter when I bought it. In 1999 I changed the clutch at 150,000 miles. Thought about an oil change. In 2003 I hit a deer and totalled it. New front end from a scrapyard including a radiator and that hour after installing the radiator is the only time it had coolant in it. Again, gave a brief thought of changing the oil. Totalled again spinning out on ice. I chose the tree rather than the oncoming car (I was just about to save it when the car popped up over the crest.) Fixed that. Yet another deer, but it only hit the wheel/tires. Finally thought about changing the oil when I took it to trade for the Tacoma. Traded with 189,000 and never changed the oil.

I'm very serious. It is still running around on the road somewhere up north from me. My brother-in-law sees it now and then.
I bought my first car, a '90 Miata, in 2001 with 90,000km and I still have it now with 210,000km. No accidents or mechanical issues so far.
Quote from mrodgers :Yea, you just picked the wrong cars. Note in my thread my 1988 Toyota 4Runner, bought for $6000 with 105,000 miles in 1996. I changed the oil, sparkplugs and wires, fuel filter, and air filter when I bought it. In 1999 I changed the clutch at 150,000 miles. Thought about an oil change. In 2003 I hit a deer and totalled it. New front end from a scrapyard including a radiator and that hour after installing the radiator is the only time it had coolant in it. Again, gave a brief thought of changing the oil. Totalled again spinning out on ice. I chose the tree rather than the oncoming car (I was just about to save it when the car popped up over the crest.) Fixed that. Yet another deer, but it only hit the wheel/tires. Finally thought about changing the oil when I took it to trade for the Tacoma. Traded with 189,000 and never changed the oil.

you should be stoned for treating an engine like that
#30 - JTbo
Quote from Shotglass :you should be stoned for treating an engine like that

I have heard that in US it would be quite common that oils are not changed there every 10 000km in every day rides. Maybe they are changed when they are in service program, but after that not so much. Of course what I have heard is not possible truth as information changes usually at some point.
Just the 240..325k miles and counting
Quote from JTbo :I have heard that in US it would be quite common that oils are not changed there every 10 000km in every day rides. Maybe they are changed when they are in service program, but after that not so much. Of course what I have heard is not possible truth as information changes usually at some point.

There are a lot of ignorant car owners here, they don't learn proper car care, so they never do it i suppose. Granted with the quality of oils and engines these days, besides those pesky toyotas , frequent oil changes arent _as_ vital. I change mine every 3-4k though, with high mileage synthetic because i want the best for my baby
#33 - JTbo
Quote from DodgeRacer :There are a lot of ignorant car owners here, they don't learn proper car care, so they never do it i suppose. Granted with the quality of oils and engines these days, besides those pesky toyotas , frequent oil changes arent _as_ vital. I change mine every 3-4k though, with high mileage synthetic because i want the best for my baby

Well, you got quite lot of people there too

That Citröen Visa's engine died because lack of lubrication and I suspect that part of reason was bad care as it was company car, but without so cold weather it might have been survived :P
Quote from DodgeRacer :There are a lot of ignorant car owners here, they don't learn proper car care, so they never do it i suppose. Granted with the quality of oils and engines these days, besides those pesky toyotas , frequent oil changes arent _as_ vital. I change mine every 3-4k though, with high mileage synthetic because i want the best for my baby

Ok, FWIW, the new Mazda I just bought must have the oil changed every 3000 miles. I have a 10 year/250,000 mile warrantee as long as I get it changed at the dealership every 3k.

I'm not sure I like that since its an additive that I don't know about. And I do change the oil every 3-5000 miles in every vehicle I have owned except for that Toyota. Really, it was just a cheapo hunk of junk that I totalled twice and hacked a new front end on to get it back on the road. I really didn't care much about it. It was my truck I used for 4wheeling mostly.

As for the coolant/antifreeze in that 88 Toy, I would fill it up and drive. When I stopped, there would be no antifreeze left. None in the oil, none burning away, and no leaks that I could detect. A real mystery to me.
Quote from mrodgers :Ok, FWIW, the new Mazda I just bought must have the oil changed every 3000 miles. I have a 10 year/250,000 mile warrantee as long as I get it changed at the dealership every 3k.

I'm not sure I like that since its an additive that I don't know about. And I do change the oil every 3-5000 miles in every vehicle I have owned except for that Toyota. Really, it was just a cheapo hunk of junk that I totalled twice and hacked a new front end on to get it back on the road. I really didn't care much about it. It was my truck I used for 4wheeling mostly.

As for the coolant/antifreeze in that 88 Toy, I would fill it up and drive. When I stopped, there would be no antifreeze left. None in the oil, none burning away, and no leaks that I could detect. A real mystery to me.

well im sure the LFS crowd is the creme of the crop for americans

whichbtw by "here" i meant that as in "america" not he lfs crowd
none, coz i dont have a licence 4 cars... but i , lets say "consumed", 7 bicycles (50-125ccm ) over the last 6 years

(2got stolen, sold 2, destroyed the others :S)
I'm boring.
I've owned 2 cars and both have survived literally without a scratch.

Never had a car accident of any sort.
I've had about 60 cars over the years, of which about half have been 'beyond economic repair' on the MOT at some point, and been scrapped (I think that counts as 'worn out' rather than destroyed, lol), 10 or so have been racecars that I sold on, and another 10 or so were bought as scrap and used for parts (which is destroying!).

I've never crashed a car beyond repair though
15 cars that I can remember off the top of my head averaged between 60 - 100,000 km in each of them with at least 2 going well over 200,000 km. None distroyed a bit less than 50% of them needed substantial repairs over there life spans but all were sold on in working order. I currently have 3 cars all working well. I do all my own repairs and have never paid for a service
danowat and samh the pair of you have own the worst list of cars ive ever seen!
#41 - Mykl
hmm...

1. 1982 Cadillac Cimmaron - wasn't running when sold
2. 1982 Pontiac Grand Prix - wasn't running when sold
3. 1987 Pontiac Grand Am - spun bearing, junker
4. 1991 Geo Metro - barely running when sold
5. 1990 Mazda RX-7 - blown engine @ 180k miles
6. 1989 Mazda RX-7 convertible - running, decent condition, electrical issues when sold
7. 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - wrecked at race track
8. 2002 Nissan Sentra Spec-V - sold in good condition, still running strong!
9. 1999 Hyundai Tiburon - still own, still running strong
10. 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - currently own, perfect condition, fast car

Motorcycles...

1. 1990 Suzuki GS500 - great bike, ran great when sold, not wrecked
2. 1991 Yamaha FJ1200 - wrecked, f***ing left turning cars
3. 1999 Honda CBR600F4 - ran great when sold, dropped once by me
4. 2002 Honda RC51 - ran great when sold, amazing machine, dropped by and repaired by friend
5. 2002 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird - wonderful bike, ran great when sold, never dropped

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG