The online racing simulator
Car Engine Sounds?
(34 posts, started )
Car Engine Sounds?
Is there some way to change the engine sounds to something more aggresive?
The car skid sound that was posted sounds nice. The only thing now that is needed is a more powerful engine sound.
Not really...

Engine sounds are generated sounds according to the engine/car specifications. So there is no files you can use to change the engine sound.

The only thing I know of that can change the sounds is LFSTweak, which is not out yet for S2. Basically all it did was change the pitch or raspiness of the engine sound, plus you could change the cars performance (But all on Singleplayer, this stuff wouldn't work in Multiplayer).

Until we get a way to change engine sounds via a file, then we could do something about the sounds, because nobody really cares for the synthesized sounds, they are very flat and trebly. And when we will be able to edit the sounds, nobody knows, but at least the devs say until S3 is out, from that point on we get to mod the game more than ever
Damn, it's a shame.
IMO thats the biggest thing that hurts the driving experiance
Quote from Rg7621 :Damn, it's a shame.

well think about it, although it may not sound nice/realistic, but it provides you with whole lot more feedbacks compared to other games
Yup, the sound in S2 is superior to any other driving game available. And I say that with my hand on heart.

Sure they are not perfect, but I can't drive to anything else now (except a real life engine).
Quote from Rg7621 :Is there some way to change the engine sounds to something more aggresive?

There are about 100 threads about this question, why didn't you look there for the answer?
I don't want to sound mean or cruel, but it's getting very annoying
i agree the sound gets poorer and poorer the more you listen

i thought the FX0 sounded cool, but you keep listening to it it just sounds so 4cylindery and dnt bother saying oh well it is a Flat '4' cos i already know only real sound minded people will understand and flat 4 is not supposed to sound like a 4 cylinder
Well it IS a 4 cylinder. You mean it doesn't sound like an INLINE 4. To be honest, I don't notice the 'sounds' when I'm racing, only the information within the sound.
I have to agree with tristan. The sounds, quite different to other racing sims, contain a lot of information you definitely miss when you play one of those well sounding sims like rFactor or GTR.

And it's not like the engine sounds in LsF are unbearably bad. Still, I wouldn't object if they were aesthetically improved
Quote from ColeusRattus :Still, I wouldn't object if they were aesthetically improved

Of course not, as long as they contain the same information!
:iagree:
In theory, the sound in LFS is truer than what you perceive in a real car.
First off, there are many sounds in real life and defining the 'car sound' in
what you hear while driving is not that easy. LFS doesn't model sound to
reflect in the engine bay, there is no sound insulation, the wind sound is
another variable by itself, drivetrain noise isn't exactly great in LFS, the
VAST sea of exhaust variations is impossible to duplicate, etc...i could fill
the whole page i'm sure.

We must make a distinction between sound quality and sound 'reproduction'.
LFS reproduces sounds very well, it can vary their pitch at will and can apply
many 'filters' to the point where no simple 2-3 sample car sound can even
come close. Think of it this way, LFS uses the sound of an explosion in one
cylinder. Then, it will array it depending on cylinder amount and configuration.
This is what generates the sounds in real life, there isn't a CD in the engine
playing 2 or 3 engine 'sounds'. The LFS sound engine is good, the 'problem' is
with the initial sound waves themselves. They sound like 80's games did.
Old-school FM synthesis .

This is where a hybrid, using actual samples as initial waves, might be the key
to make LFS sound more natural. Again, i don't know of any game that
reproduce all engine sounds well, sure, the caracteristic frequencies are
there, that's what sampling is all about, but it's still never quite like the sound
you hear when driving the real car. That's a perception problem and is a very
subjective one. In other words, it's virtually impossible that a sound will work
for everyone. The closest i've seen is where special microphones are used
within a 'housing' shaped like a human hear to try and reflect exactly what
you perceive. It must be placed where your ear would be obviously and i
suppose, stereo is a must as we have 2 hears .

Btw, i don'T think a flat 4 in LFS sounds like the same 4 in an inline
configuration. LFSTweak can show that clearly. Now, does the flat 4
in the FXO sound like a flat4 you heard ? Probably not.
pure genious... :iagree:
It is a shame. Couse i would really like the FO8 to sound more F1 ish.
Quote from Roos VR6 mkII :It is a shame. Couse i would really like the FO8 to sound more F1 ish.

Well is not an F1, so obviously its not going to sound like an F1.

But the sounds do need improving, when this'll happen, only god knows the answer..
Quote from tristancliffe :Yup, the sound in S2 is superior to any other driving game available. And I say that with my hand on heart.

Sure they are not perfect, but I can't drive to anything else now (except a real life engine).

are u kidding? the sounds in NFS U2 beat any game in car sounds right now. and im sure vision gran turismo will have the real car sounds that they left out or 4.
#17 - Gunn
Quote from Rg7621 :Damn, it's a shame.

IMO it is one of the best things to enhance the driving experience. Good engine sound/throttle feedback is almost non-existant in most games and sims.
Quote from Fonnybone :The LFS sound engine is good, the 'problem' is
with the initial sound waves themselves. They sound like 80's games did.
Old-school FM synthesis.

This is where a hybrid, using actual samples as initial waves, might be the key
to make LFS sound more natural.

Another alternative is using physical modelling (it doesn't seem that LFS does this currently). I'll try and read up a bit more on engines and see if I can reproduce what I speak of using either Reaktor or a Nord Modular synthesizer - I've tried modelling percussive sounds before and the results were quite impressive while retaining a low cpu/dsp usage.
And while searching for other possible techniques, I found these rather interesting papers on stochastics.

http://www.acoustics.org/press/131st/lay01.html
http://www.icad.org/websiteV2.0/Conferences/ICAD97/Miner.pdf

EDIT:
Also, to stay a bit on topic: I also believe that a sound synthesis engine is the way to go for a true simulation that gives proper audio feedback. Sample based stuff is nice for revving it when in a garage or doing a burn out to get back on track after a spin, but it'll just leave you looking at your rev counter ever so often. And look to the future - how can someone possibly model proper engine damage with a sample based reproduction?
Quote from QuickSilver :are u kidding? the sounds in NFS U2 beat any game in car sounds right now. and im sure vision gran turismo will have the real car sounds that they left out or 4.

Best get the fire suit.

NFS:U2 uses sound samples to kick in at different rpm levels. Which is fine for most. But LFS uses a more "realistic" system, the cars may not sound like the rice crispy you are used to in NFS:U2, but you KNOW what the engine is doing in LFS. Which is also why I turn off shift lights I shift the same way my dad taught me to, *"just listen to the engine, she be telling you when she be ready to shift".

*May not be an accuate representation of events.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Best get the fire suit.

NFS:U2 uses sound samples to kick in at different rpm levels. Which is fine for most. But LFS uses a more "realistic" system, the cars may not sound like the rice crispy you are used to in NFS:U2, but you KNOW what the engine is doing in LFS. Which is also why I turn off shift lights I shift the same way my dad taught me to, *"just listen to the engine, she be telling you when she be ready to shift".

*May not be an accuate representation of events.

NFS:U2 is a bad game. The racing is so "arcady" and the engine noises, you cant when to shift my the engine noise. In LFS i find when the car is ready to shift, you begin to loose power, and the engine is normally screaming. In LFS you have power all the way to the rev limiter, on every single car.
for those of you with an onboard nforce3 audio device (ac97) there's a sound effect manager included with the audio drivers. it can be found in the control panel. I think there's a similar application bundled with the sound blaster drivers aswell, however it might have to be installed manually. Im not sure, maybe someone with a soundblaster audio device can answer that?

the only drawback with this workaround would be that it effects ALL sounds - including skids and the music.

Well, play around with the settings and you might find a setting which makes the audio output more aggressive, save the settings and post them here if you do!

(EDIT: don't let this suggestion be overlooked just beacuse of the LFS vs * discussion)
Quote from QuickSilver :are u kidding? the sounds in NFS U2 beat any game in car sounds right now. and im sure vision gran turismo will have the real car sounds that they left out or 4.

*sigh*

I think we all agree that on first hearing the sounds in LFS suck and almost any game has "better" sounds. The key word being "better", because it's very important what we define as "better".

For one group, I may call them the casual gamers, all the sounds from GTR/GTL/rFactor/NFS/etc. are way better because they prefer immersion over information respectively accurate simulation. They just don't care if there are three canned sound samples or a detailed simulation of the engine sounds - as long as it doesn't give them goosebumps it sucks.

Then there is the other group, lets call them the hardcore simracers, who prefer to get information from the engine. In LFS you can tell when the engine is under load, when it's coasting, when it's starting to lose power at high revs and when it's struggling to put out power, in a too high gear for example. In GTR, the only information you get from the engine is which sound sample it currently plays.

It's basically the same as arguing wether GTR is more realistic than LFS or not. For some people, again mostly the casual gamers, GTR just feels more like they expect a car to handle, and they simply don't notice the BS ISI engine with non-existing weight transfer. It just doesn't matter for them. When they play LFS they feel that the car is too slippery, that the FF doesn't get light when understeering, that there's sometimes no FF when driving over a rumble strip, and many more of the other canned GTR effects. Because of all this, LFS gets "less immersive/believable" for them and therefore "less realistic". The hardcore simracer maybe agrees that there are some minor flaws in the current tyre physics but he also immediately notices the fine and detailed SIMULATION of basically everything driving related, which is what got him hooked.

It's just two different approaches,
GTR = realism through canned effects/lookup tables*
LFS = realism through simulation **

Ahh but I'm getting OT again

PS: I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just personal preference which approach you like more. Please keep it civil.

* actually not doing such a bad job for being canned
** this is what makes the simracers get a hard-on
Quote from AndroidXP :** this is what makes the simracers get a hard-on

Thanks - now I'll never be able to play LFS again without mental images I'd rather not have about my fellow racers...
Yeah, it's really a problem. We often kill our engines because we mistake 'it' with the shift stick

Car Engine Sounds?
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG