The online racing simulator
Is there a way to see auto-blip, auto-clutch, etc using Outgauge?
People have been clamoring for a "Hardcore Mode" in LFS for quite a while. Now that the G25 wheel is out, with it's clutch pedal and H-shifter, I'm becoming even more interested in running a "no-aids" race league, where drivers must race with no auto-clutch, no auto-blip, no throttle-cut, etc. The problem is that there is currently no way to see what aids each driver is using when you're in the game.

I know that LFS replays have this information, so I can only assume that it's recorded using Outgauge. Does anyone know for sure? Has anyone developed a tool which would show whether a driver was using a particular driving aid or not? Is there any way to run an Outgauge tool that would intermittently check each driver in a race and either report them via a system message or kick them from the server? Can the same thing be done to monitor car setup? For instance, send a message if spring rate is above a certain threshold or if first gear != X?

Any help would be appreciated. Note that I am not a programmer, nor do I play one on TV.
I think, LFSLapper has this.

If someone exits the pits, it says something like for example "W Ac Gb". But it only says it, when you leave the pits, I think.
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof
Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof :You can find this info in one InSim packet (joining race/leaving pits packet). LFSLapper only shows help, but I did the tool that kick players using aids too. If you are interested in source, I can send it to you, when I come home...

I would really, really appreciate that, Monk. Thanks a bunch.

I thought you mentioned such a tool in another thread, but I searched all over and couldn't find it. I'm glad the post here got your attention.
Every Stats tool have such outputs LfsLappter, lfsstats and my live for stats :P.
You could get this information with a request of the New Player packet every time.
So you can proove if the settings are right.
-
Monk - I gave your tool a shot last night but every time I ran it, it would crash. This was on XP SP2. I haven't had a chance yet to try it on another machine or look at the source code, so I'll give that a shot when I have some time. I just wanted to let you know and see if you've successfully run the version you uploaded. I wonder if maybe the upload was corrupted?
-
Cue Ball could you tell more about what that Racing league would look like?
Quote from George Kuyumji :Cue Ball could you tell more about what that Racing league would look like?

I'm not sure that it would be a league at all, since I don't have the bandwidth to host the kind of server a league would require. More than likely this would be a server that I would host via my home connection on the weekends where people who want to drive the road cars the "hard way" would be able to do so without worrying that they're being beaten by someone using auto-clutch, auto-blip, etc (I say road cars because GTR and open wheel cars generally have driving aids built into the car). Hopefully once people have had a chance to try playing on a server with driving aids disabled some leagues would begin to form around the idea. Now that the G25 is shipping in large quantities I think we'll start to see a LOT more people who want to race with all of the driving aids turned off and still be able to have a fair race.

Monk - I haven't had a chance to try your tool again yet. As soon as I get a spare moment (and i'm not at work ) I'll be sure to try it and report back.
-
Monk - I connected to your server tonight and did some testing on it. It works great! I tested all of the in-game aids other than keyboard assists and each time I wouldn't even get out of the pits before being kicked to spectate. Ditto for changing options while already out on the track.

I got your tool to work on my machine as well. I just had my insim port set to something other than 29999. The tool works perfect as is, but I might see if I can add a few other options and maybe see about adding an interface so that server admins can turn on/off each option as they please.

Thanks a bunch for the program and your efforts so far!
-
Updated version for W9 patch. Now possible to enforce cockpit view thanks to new insim packet (unfortunately it comes by very rarely :shrug.

Hardcore test server (S2, public) is available for testing...
Attached files
HardcoreServer.zip - 18.3 KB - 131 views
Hmm, I don't think enforcing the view is a good step. For example the seating positions in a gtr car is way too high, you'd know this if you ever sat in one. So what I do is make a custom view, the same as default, and put it lower.
So I hope the view enforcing doesn't make it through, because it "could "actually make it less realistic...
Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof :Updated version for W9 patch. Now possible to enforce cockpit view thanks to new insim packet (unfortunately it comes by very rarely :shrug.

Awesome! I'll have to give this a try this weekend. I requested new InSim packets for shifter type and clutch type (button/axis/auto), so hopefully those will make it in for patch X. If they do, I think your tool, combined with those new packets, would be the solution to the "hardcore" mode so many of us have wanted.

Unfortunately, that means I'll have to get off my ass and finally organize a hardcore racing league.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG