The online racing simulator
Track Lines
(15 posts, started )
Track Lines
Hi,

Is there a display of somekind that shows the optimum track lines for each track? I find that watching good drivers doesn't always show the actually path, due to lag.

Any thing out there to help a "noob" racer here

Scott
there isnt really a definative 'line' for a particular track. It depends on your style and the car you are driving, the best way is to save replays of a fast driver going round and watch them.
Quote from WarBeer :I find that watching good drivers doesn't always show the actually path, due to lag.

Get hotlap replays of the fastest drivers from LFS World. SPR replays don't have lag problems, and have a much higher "sampling rate" of driver inputs.

Additionally, you can use one of the replay analysers to study the replays in even more detail.
Great! Thanks for the info guys.

Scott
Also, if you keep doing laps, you'll automatically figure out the correct and optimum line for you and the way you drive. Sometimes instead of trying to emulate someone else's (who may be faster) lines, it's probably better to figure it out on your own by just doing laps. This is just the way I see it.
Another good thing to try, is to drive the course at around 3/4 or 5/8 speed, and take the smoothest line for you, meaning, the one that feels most correct. After you get that line in your head, try driving it faster and faster until you're at full race speed. By then the line should be instilled in your head enough that you shouldn't have too much problem unless your brain wonders for a second and you forget where you are...
neede that too
#9 - Barn
Quote from Hatemaker :Another good thing to try, is to drive the course at around 3/4 or 5/8 speed,.....

lol,as soon as we figure out how to drive at 5/8 speed,were on it
The way I learnt the best line on a few tracks (mainly for a few 'problem corners' where the line isn't obvious) is to download a WR replay from LFSworld, and load it into AnalyseForSpeed. I then open LFS, load the track and go into autocross editing mode. I can then see where the hotlap goes, and place markers on the track in the appropriate places to show where the line should be.

Also, I find it helps to understand the line through a corner a lot more if you drive it backwards. It really gives you a good idea of where entry points should be if you look at where the natural exit point is when you drive it from the opposite direction (a good example is the final hairpin/chicane at Aston Club).
Thanks again guys....those were some good suggestions. Some I have tried....with more or less success. The only reason I asked about the lines, was that I had seen a precious racing game/simm that had a "learning" mode which actually gave you a line to follow.

I haven't used one of the analysers yet...so I guess that should be my next step....I'll try wsinda's first....since it was suggested

...and I too, have found it usefull to go through tricky spots in reverse.
I really was looking for some ideas on how to approach this simm...since I am new....and you guys have given me LOTS of good things to try!

Thanks again

Scott
Quote from WarBeer :The only reason I asked about the lines, was that I had seen a precious racing game/simm that had a "learning" mode which actually gave you a line to follow.

More or less... You see, the line learns from what YOU do... It takes YOUR line and displays it as a darker groove on the tarmac...

There even were questions raised about why a road track suddenly was being treated as an RallyX-course... Simple answer: This person was spending more time in the grass than on the road (for whatever, sometimes even valid reason), thus shifting the racing line off the track...
You need the Ghostcar mod and Ghostcar Patch.

You can read about the Ghostcar up there, but I wasn't able to find info about the Ghostcar Patch, so here goes:

Ghostcar Patch is a tool to record a lap from spr's as your ghost car.

Instructions:
1. Run the Ghostcar Patch
2. Run LFS in window mode
3. Select the spr replay
4. Select a static view like the cockpit view.
5. Pause the replay before the lap you want to be recorded starts
6. Press Record on Ghostcar Patch
7. Unpause the replay
8. Don't change camera view while lap is being recorded
9. Done.

Use "/ghost drawpath" command to toggle patch (racing line) visibility on/off. "/ghost drawcar" does the same but for the car itself.. ther are more commands - check the page.

Ps. Ever since Patch W, Ghostcar is reflecting oddly - It's not showing up in my rear view mirrors, but instead shows up on the intrument panel glass.. hmm.

Also the ghostcar itself may look different than what was actually driven - just ignore these small issues. Works well enough though.
Here is a stupid question: Why isn't there a ghost car mod in lfs? A good suggestion to submit to the dev a gess
Quote from shadow2kx :Here is a stupid question: Why isn't there a ghost car mod in lfs? A good suggestion to submit to the dev a gess

Nah..I think it is just not realistic, and this is not an arcade game

Track Lines
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG