The online racing simulator
Realistic tirechoice
(28 posts, started )
Realistic tirechoice
Yes, I did seach for this one before I posted

I looked in the suggestions-log, and to my surprise, noone has mentioned having slick tires for all cars?

IRL, wheather you drive a 600 hp Aston Martin DBR9 or a 100 hp Peugeot 106, you will use slicktires on a racetrack. In LFS, they don't.

If LFS is a simulator, I find it very unrealistic that we have to use street tires while going 200 km/h...

So... Come on, make it happen!
#2 - axus
I've rarely seen cars go out on full slick tyres on open track days, I've seen a lot of semi-slicks for cars with similar performance to the LRF class though so maybe that'd be better (road tyres remaining an option). I think that it'd be best to leave the TBO class and below with road tyres.
#3 - ajp71
A lot of club racing championships specify road tires to save costs, a lot of them don't even allow a free choice of road tires. Having road tires on standard cars is realistic.
actually its been suggested before quite often

the reason why its not in the log yet is because we dont have any server imposed setup restrictions yet so everyone would use the slicks making the road tyres completely useless
Lots of racing series using near stock cars use road tires. I'd like the option for slicks, though, but with a server option to force road tires.
what about selectable tyre change (RF, LF, RR, RL) at pit stop ?
especialy on circuits like FE club it would be big time saver to change only the LF tyre instead changing all 4 tyres (and a step closer to realism)
Not a bad idea.

...this last post makes the sense of this topic.
Quote from MAGGOT :Lots of racing series using near stock cars use road tires. I'd like the option for slicks, though, but with a server option to force road tires.

Brilliant idea!

I don't know which racing classes you guys are referring to when saying that many series are using road tires, but here in Denmark, they are all using slicks.

Anyways, the possibility just needs to be there - along with a server option to restrict the tire choice
Quote from Shotglass :the reason why its not in the log yet is because we dont have any server imposed setup restrictions yet so everyone would use the slicks making the road tyres completely useless

Even if it was restrictable per-server, nobody would ever run the road tyres again. And I'd have to go looking for a new sim.
Quote from Kim Gripping :Yes, I did seach for this one before I posted

I looked in the suggestions-log, and to my surprise, noone has mentioned having slick tires for all cars?

IRL, wheather you drive a 600 hp Aston Martin DBR9 or a 100 hp Peugeot 106, you will use slicktires on a racetrack. In LFS, they don't.

If LFS is a simulator, I find it very unrealistic that we have to use street tires while going 200 km/h...

So... Come on, make it happen!

IRL there are many classes that you must use road legal tyres. Particulary classes that require you to drive the car to and from the event.

Even allowing the option of using slicks on all cars server side we'd never see road tyres used again. I personally like it as is.
#13 - Woz
This topic has been through the mill so many times its not funny both here and RSC and the outcome is always the same... Put slicks on all cars and NO MATTER how many "options" you want to add does not matter, you might as well just remove the road tires.

Super roads give FAR higher grip than actual road tires so in a way they are already so called "road legal slicks" and the slower cars just don't even have the power to make slicks interesting in the first place.

Want slicks on the slow cars, use the slick mod
Ultimately how sticky the tyres are is irrelevant, so long as the car is controllable on them, less grip = more fun. OK so you're corner speeds are lower... who cares? If the field is even and there's more braking and accelerating to be done, that's more involvement for the driver and more overtaking opportunities for the driver behind.
Quote from Bob Smith :so you're corner speeds are lower... who cares? If the field is even and there's more braking and accelerating to be done, that's more involvement for the driver and more overtaking opportunities for the driver behind.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Okay then... Let's send an email to FIA suggesting that the WTCC cars must run on road tires next year - because it will certainly be better racing without slick tires...
Neither TBO nor LRF cars are WTCC spec.. The U and XFR are.
Quote from Kim Gripping :Okay then... Let's send an email to FIA suggesting that the WTCC cars must run on road tires next year - because it will certainly be better racing without slick tires...

It would be. I suggest the FIA GT championship does that as well.

The rule should be two sets of tyres per meeting (for WTCC), bought from the local Quick-fit
Actually, lateral acceleration figures of LFS levels whilst cornering (somewhere in the neighbourhood of just over 1g to just under 1.3g peak) we see on the road super's isn't really unattainable with road legal tires that can deal with rain. Tires

Skidpad numbers are one thing as they only show average lateral acceleration steady state cornering. Peak lateral acceleration whilst cornering at race speeds always exceed them. Note that these are very short intervals of time whilst cornering.

Very sticky road tires say, WIDE BFG KDs mounted to relatively lightweight cars actually generate skidpad lateral acceleration figures like 1.02-1.05 quite easily. This assumes of course that the car is well setup in the first place.

For tires such as those Hoosiers I mentioned just now, average lateral gs for skidpads can actually exceed 1.2g even with stock suspenion, which unsurprisingly struggled to cope with the weight transfer caused by such extreme cornering loads. With properly tuned springs/dampers/rollbars...
I have been thinking on this for a while after I used slickmod(I could drift the XR with r1 slicks) But I was too lazy to request it anywaysillepall
so +1 to this idea
OT: my watch failed at 6:30 AM eastern (45 minutes ago) and I woke up at 4:30 and I noticed the time faded away from the screen when I turned on the light of my watch

The long and short of it is: Loads of race series' in real life use road tyres and not a single slick. There is nothing wrong with it. If the "race-car-esque" LXs were what prompted you to consider this, take a look here: http://www.caterhamracing.com/
Only the top class "Masters" series uses slicks, and as you can see, those things are far more race-prepared than the LX4 or LX6.
How is going 200 km/h on street tires unrealistic?
Going 200 km/h is not unrealistic - but I find it extremely unrealistic having a race using street tires.

I guess it's just me, then.
the option to allow the tire compounds should be up to the server.

to be honest i'd like to allow road super for the lower classes.
I would find it a shame if the XRG could even use road supers let alone slicks. With the normals, it just feels great, and it actually teaches you something about car control... LFS is such a diverse sim. With just slicks being used you would basically have a bunch of different cars that all grip very well but go different speeds down the straights.

Realistic tirechoice
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG