The online racing simulator
My Dad has just finished his first go at nK in the FF1800 @ Newbury. The first thing he commented on was the FF feeling being very like reality (he's never liked the FOX), particuarly the vibrations in corners (not the ridiculous ones from flatspots ) whilst many may not like it because it's harsh on their wheels it is what you feel in a real single seater and is what you should be feeling in any sim using torque from the steering column. The next thing he noticed was the LSD (he's used to a 4 speed MK9 with an open diff, like the FF1600). Other things he liked were the change in surfaces and the gearbox behaving like a real LD200.

Overall he was impressed by the physics and even without AA could read the graphics fine (first sim he's ever felt is right first time out).
I just messed up the default setup for the 1600cc formula (or whatever it was ). And as my setup creation skills are quite limited I am truly testing the damage model atm.
For my opinion this game is just good enough for my digital waste bin.

My personal benchmark:

Sound: bad
Graphics: adequate
Steering / FF: crap
inGame Menu: completly confusing & annoying

It took a very long time to configure everything and then it crashed always.

LFS forever

Nothing else needed to say.
i've been playing nkp for a couple of days (still demo) and really enjoying it, so last night went back to lfs.

to my amazement nkp has made me a tidier and smoother driver in lfs.
i have also adopted the ff1600 gear change (lift off and change) instead of flat shifting. it sounds and feels much better.

just my couple of observations!!
Hmmm, The Ring for Netkar Pro huh...

Well, as soon as they get more cars, and actual road cars, I'd drive it. But just having the Ring and the other tracks they have doesn't make it that inviting to be honest. Looks good though.
If it had the ring, and some road cars, I'd be buying it already. Its about half the reason I still play GT4 - its version of the ring is excellent, even if the physics are a bit strange at times.
Momo Racing paddle/button configuration
For those who have encountered controller setup problems, such as mine with the Momo Racing wheel, I found some simple instructions. I've not tried them yet, but will when I get home. It's not exactly intuitive, but here's how it goes:

While in the controller setup screen, operate the actual button or lever you wish to map. One of the numbers on the right side of the configuration menu should turn red. Now click on the function to which you want that control mapped, followed by clicking on the number indicated previously. Wait a second or two, and then operate the same control again. That should do it, allegedly.

I will try it tonight. If it's total BS and still doesn't work, I will so advise.

Edit: Ok I tried the alleged solution. I was able to get the paddles up/down mapped to the respective numbers. However, now neither paddle will shift while in the car!. I've tried the clutch button function, as well as changing the clutch function in the "misc" tab in the setup menu. I also tried deleting and re-extracting the sim. I am totally confused by this thing. It's too bad, I would like to see how it drives!
The paddle settings are not your gears. Map 'stick up' and 'stick down' to your preferred gear up and down buttons/shifter paddles.

The paddle up and down is for changing gear on the fTarget. You have to manually cut the revs using special levers on this car, hence the paddle controls. I haven't tried this method, as you can set auto clutch and auto cut which are easier.
I have my wheel paddle buttons mapped to both stick and paddle. Simple, Then they work for any of the cars. I'm also using the auto clutch thing, you have to get used to the cars different methods of gear changing. For the 1600 and 1800 you have to drop the revs to change up and time it right or it won't change or will miss a gear. This is a nice touch as it takes some practice to do it without losing time. In LFS you can slam thru the gears at any time. In NKP this adds another element of skill to the driving. The fTarget is a lot easier with auto rev-cut on change, like driving the BF1 but not as fast obviously.
The controller config is not exactly intuitive but I reckon it's worth a little perseverance as the 'feel' and looks of the game are, IMO, excellent. It's just not one of those sims you can play straight out of the box and expect to do 5 fast laps straight off without crashing the car. This reminds me of GPL, which has to be my all-tuime favourite PC game (sorry - sim).
Quote from al heeley :I have my wheel paddle buttons mapped to both stick and paddle. Simple, Then they work for any of the cars. I'm also using the auto clutch thing, you have to get used to the cars different methods of gear changing. For the 1600 and 1800 you have to drop the revs to change up and time it right or it won't change or will miss a gear. This is a nice touch as it takes some practice to do it without losing time. In LFS you can slam thru the gears at any time. In NKP this adds another element of skill to the driving. The fTarget is a lot easier with auto rev-cut on change, like driving the BF1 but not as fast obviously.
The controller config is not exactly intuitive but I reckon it's worth a little perseverance as the 'feel' and looks of the game are, IMO, excellent. It's just not one of those sims you can play straight out of the box and expect to do 5 fast laps straight off without crashing the car. This reminds me of GPL, which has to be my all-tuime favourite PC game (sorry - sim).

I think i read somewhere on the RSC forums that you can double shift through the gears on the 1600 and 1800 ie no lift on the power. You then gewt one fast upshift.
Thanks for the input guys. I'll take another shot at setting up my Momo.
Jaap has been quite active about nk pro so at least they chose a person with real interest to the sim. But this has quite small effect (none actually) on the development and this is what people want more; patches. Info is nice but... This also means that all info/forum blabla will be filtered through Jaap. Not that I'm concerned about about Jaap's neutrality about nk pro's development, it just means that all the improvement suggestions that come up on RSC (for example) need to be noticed by Jaap in order to get onto Kunos' desk

Wonder if the 'netKar PRO Community Update' contains anything new info...
Quote from Hyperactive :Wonder if the 'netKar PRO Community Update' contains anything new info...

It certainly will......watch this space...
Indeed - they will announce a new patch that is due out in the coming decade, a hillclimb course, a new car and a little update to the server list screen.

Also, in other news, Stefano has turned into a squirrel.
Quote from tristancliffe :Indeed - they will announce a new patch that is due out in the coming decade

I think you'll find it's going to be quite a bit sooner than that.
yes, it's meant to be today or tomorrow I know. But that still means any time between now and 2045.

What's your RSC username?
This new "patch", is it gonna be free, or are we gonna have to pay for it?, I can see that the hillclimb course/new car will be a pay for thing, but hopefully not this patch.

I reckon I have got all of 2 hours worth of driving out of NKP, about 15mins of the online.........
Quote from tristancliffe :yes, it's meant to be today or tomorrow I know. But that still means any time between now and 2045.

Bah, it's no use trying to talk to the terminally cynical

What's your RSC username? mines very easy to work out.
Quote from danowat :This new "patch", is it gonna be free, or are we gonna have to pay for it?,

I reckon I have got all of 2 hours worth of driving out of NKP, about 15mins of the online.........

Of course it's free and so's the Hillclimb.

Shame..i've got 58,000km driving on nKPro, 49,000 of them online
It is a shame, it was a total waste for me, props to you though if you are getting your monies worth.
http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=287614

There you go...we are beta testing the 1.03 patch now, hopefully it wont be too long now, no more than 6 weeks i shouldn't think. (but don't quote me on that )

Track editor shouldn't be too far behind either.

A couple of things not mentioned in that post:- The bug where a ghost car could sometimes be seen when someone left the server is gone.
Slight physics adjustments. Donut to your hearts content now
Hmm, no mention about Stefano turning into squarrel - must be a new beta test feature

"with a grain of salt"
Quote from Hyperactive :Hmm, no mention about Stefano turning into squarrel - must be a new beta test feature

:ices_rofl

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG