The online racing simulator
iRacing update
(63 posts, started )
iRacing update
http://www.iracing.com/news.htm

The saga continues! Bring it on Mr Kaemmer, I'm ready
Really interesting news about the sound! Very promising :up:
Yeah, good to see the news! I like the email updates they provide.

I can't wait to hear more about how it will work. I imagine the costs will be quite a lot more than your average sim due to how it is set up, but it sounds like a great idea that could raise the profile of sim racing.
#3 - X-Ter
I can't believe you seriously consider supporting a company that fracked over an entire modding community? Ok, so they changed their name from First to iRacing, but that doesn't fool anyone. Or does it?
Sampled sounds:
Quote :As the sounds are recorded, they are uploaded to a proprietary mixing system that slices the sound recordings into short bits that can then be mixed and randomized for the most realistic and varied sound experience.

I did expect a more dynamic system from them tbh...

X-ter has a point too
It's just a GPL mod. Isn't it on some sort of subscription ...
#6 - JTbo
AFAIK their engine is nothing new and revolutionary, just modded N2003 engine, even they try to put that marketing blah blah and cream coating over at end of day it still is same engine it is based on, that is probably why they are using samples too.

It can be quite entertaining and not so bad either, but it puts me away when they are making things sound better than what they really are.
Quote from JTbo :AFAIK their engine is nothing new and revolutionary, just modded N2003 engine,

Which in turn is just a modded GPL engine.
Quote from X-Ter :I can't believe you seriously consider supporting a company that fracked over an entire modding community? Ok, so they changed their name from First to iRacing, but that doesn't fool anyone. Or does it?

as one of the modders of the nr2k3 modding community, i supported them the whole way through.

NR2k3 would have been ruined by open modding anyway...they let us do just enough to keep us entertained, without ruining the game for us, or them.

and trust me guys, its more than your normal ISI sugar coating job on the physics engine, they dont do garbage like that...trust me....

*please dont start asking why i think i know what i know*
#9 - JTbo
Quote from DodgeRacer :as one of the modders of the nr2k3 modding community, i supported them the whole way through.

NR2k3 would have been ruined by open modding anyway...they let us do just enough to keep us entertained, without ruining the game for us, or them.

and trust me guys, its more than your normal ISI sugar coating job on the physics engine, they dont do garbage like that...trust me....

*please dont start asking why i think i know what i know*

Why you think to know what you know?

Sure it can be much better than sugar coating, but it is that typical style how they have put things on their web pages that sounds this huge alarm bell next to my ear and that certainly puts me away from it until there is demo which I can test to get feel how it really is.

I don't even trust anyone saying from it as people have certain problems when describing subjective things to others, so I certainly need to experience thing myself, until then I will be very suspecting that it will be good, pessimist does not get disappointed, right?
Quote from JTbo :Sure it can be much better than sugar coating, but it is that typical style how they have put things on their web pages that sounds this huge alarm bell next to my ear and that certainly puts me away from it until there is demo which I can test to get feel how it really is.

I would be quite surprized not to see a demo coming before the actual release. The online part, if it is as strong as it seems to be, may cause some trouble to them (offline only demo?) but looking at papy's history they have always released demos before releases.

But the sugar coating is defenately there

And in all honesty, what they did with GPL engine in Nascars certainly wasn't just a quickie job although I have no actual knowledge of the said improvements in between. And if they are really aiming to be a professional training racing/driving simulator they need to keep the quality high or the customers build their own simulators
Quote from JTbo :Why you think to know what you know?

Sure it can be much better than sugar coating, but it is that typical style how they have put things on their web pages that sounds this huge alarm bell next to my ear and that certainly puts me away from it until there is demo which I can test to get feel how it really is.

I don't even trust anyone saying from it as people have certain problems when describing subjective things to others, so I certainly need to experience thing myself, until then I will be very suspecting that it will be good, pessimist does not get disappointed, right?

this is very true haha, I guess I just trust these guys more than the ini goons
#12 - JTbo
Quote from DodgeRacer :this is very true haha, I guess I just trust these guys more than the ini goons

Yes, my advise is to test everything before deciding what something is and trying to forget anything that others do say about it, but of course pretty hard with some games.

For example if someone would like to get rTracktor because of some mod he finds very attractive, how on earth it is possible to find out if it is something to invest as it is impossible to trust anyone's opinion from it and it is quite impossible to test it legally anyway.

Luckily good products do put demos out and it is good to test them, however better make sure they don't have pests like RACE demo had, it also crashed whole machine at menu so that is as much I got it tested

But anyway, trust no one, test yourself, that is good guideline to follow
Hmm

"Kaemmer has created a new, proprietary tire model that produces accurate forces over a wide range of speeds and loads, as well as a virtual wind tunnel that precisely calculates air flow and aerodynamic forces through any possible combination of yaw, pitch, roll and ride height — all in the pursuit of lifelike driving dynamics."

Sounds interesting...
Quote from DodgeRacer :as one of the modders of the nr2k3 modding community, i supported them the whole way through.

Well you must be one of the few. One of the more advanced modders was going to court for crying out loud. And for what? Modding the sim so it could support another form of racing. That has been done since Sportscar GT hit the shelfs and is part of what modders do.
That's no way to treat the community that supports your sim. They will never have my money.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Hmm

"Kaemmer has created a new, proprietary tire model that produces accurate forces over a wide range of speeds and loads, as well as a virtual wind tunnel that precisely calculates air flow and aerodynamic forces through any possible combination of yaw, pitch, roll and ride height — all in the pursuit of lifelike driving dynamics."

Sounds interesting...

LFS also has created a new, proprietary tire model that produces accurate forces over a wide range of speeds and loads, as well as a virtual wind tunnel that precisely calculates air flow and aerodynamic forces through any possible combination of yaw, pitch, roll and ride height — all in the pursuit of lifelike driving dynamics.
Quote from duke_toaster :LFS also has created a new, proprietary tire model that produces accurate forces over a wide range of speeds and loads, as well as a virtual wind tunnel that precisely calculates air flow and aerodynamic forces through any possible combination of velocity and angle.

Fixed that for you

And omg! He has not only made a racing sim, he has created one.
So are you guys sure that it is going to be a modded N2003 engine?
By the hype they are creating and all that, i thought that they are doing the all new engine...
hype = shit
Quote :09. Is this a mod of NASCAR Racing: 2003 Season?
No. We used the NR2003 code as a starting point, taking advantage of its greatest strengths, such as the net code, which allows full fields of drivers to race online in real time, and the replay system, which enables drivers to review their on-track performance. But every major section of the code has substantially improved for the iRacing.com simulation, and large portions are all new.

Whatever that means. Personally, I think iracing is very promising. Not only because of Kaemmer, but also because of John Henry, principal owner of the Boston Red Sox (=money. A lot of it).
Quote from Linsen :Whatever that means. Personally, I think iracing is very promising. Not only because of Kaemmer, but also because of John Henry, principal owner of the Boston Red Sox (=money. A lot of it).

It's the Yankees that mean money. They are the sole reason for the MLB luxury tax.

It sounds bloody silly that people will pay this much for what is for all intents and purposes a GPL mod.
I'll still try the demo though...
Quote from duke_toaster :It sounds bloody silly that people will pay this much for what is for all intents and purposes a GPL mod.

Pay how much?
Quote from duke_toaster :It's the Yankees that mean money. They are the sole reason for the MLB luxury tax.

It sounds bloody silly that people will pay this much for what is for all intents and purposes a GPL mod.

Why a GPL mod? Just because it's (partly) the same team? Does this mean every new sim has to have entirely new developers for it not to simply be a mod of a previous incarnation?

You have no idea what you are talking about.
#24 - Woz
I think that iRacing (First Racing) have a lot of hatred in the NR2003 community. Lets look what happened for those that did not follow.
  • Pappy appeared open to the modding community and when they lost the Nascar licence they allowed all sorts of modding to take place and there was no issues with exe modding. They even release mod tools and addded physics changes for different types of cars to the exe.
  • Pappy folded and exe modding took off. Who cared as it was a dead unsupported product.
  • First racing then bought the SOURCE CODE for NR2003 knowing that modding was in full force on NR2003.
  • First employed the Project Wildfire mod team and then made sure ALL PWF mods were pulled from every site they could. PWF mods are LEGAL mods were supported by Pappy.
  • First them started taking legal action or sending threats of legal action to every mod team they thought they could get to back down.
So the questions from the community was... "If the iRacing sim was not just a mod of NR2003 then why all the fear of NR2003 mods".

All sorts of crap answers were given but none really added up. If the iRacing sim is not just a mod of NR2003 then why were they so scared of mods for a 4 year old sim?

I am interested to see what they put out BUT I just do not trust them at the moment.
I understand the hate towards iRacing devs for forcing modders to eat shit, but I still think the two-faced hypocracy radar in this thread is pretty near overheating.

iRacing update
(63 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG