The online racing simulator
i'm not against it, but i dont care if there is one. drifting is okay. race drifting is retarded.
Quote from Slidaaaa :Read my other posts duh, and NO, wins the fastest person that kept the drift longer,

What an attitude, keep the toys in the pram please .

I have read your other posts, maybe you should learn to actually explain yourself clearly so others can understand. You've still failed to explain yourself in correct English that can be easily read and understood.

Quote :little brains there huh

Your supposed to be a year older than me, speaking the same language as me... Yet struggle to string a clear sentence together. I think you should maybe re-think your statement. Nearly every single one of your posts have uncalled insults... Or are you trying to convey the attitude of the NFS community

Keiran
Quote from boosterfire :
Hum... There's one thing I don't understand. In every sport, the goal appart from having fun is to win. How the hell do you win in Drift? NFS games have point systems for that, so it's pretty clear, but in LFS? You're supposed to go around the track and actually race & drift at the same time? Sounds like a demo-derby to me!

In LFS there are competitions like in real life - judged by real people. And no, it's not demo-derby. It is like in this competition, this and many more.

I just "love" LFS Forum and the overall hate towards drifters. No suprise why Toni/matrixi and many other drifters don't want to post here anymore.

About drift lessons, I don't care if there are any. First lesson in RWD car could be considered a drift lesson, since you have whole car park to have fun around.

Edit:
Quote from chanoman315 :LIVE FOR SPEED , used for racing

Speed is important in drift too.

OMG people!!! Have we not hashed this discussion to death already many many times? It's the same people too!

+1 for the car parking lesson. I also would like to jump up and slide across my hood as in The Dukes of Hazard, but I don't want to scratch the paint on my new car. Could we have a lesson on that so I could practice in LFS?
Hello again,
I think we cannot get rid of the drifters now. They are part of our community and we should admit it.
So, in order to better understand the drifting thing, I thought it could be a good idea to have at least one drifting lesson.
I noticed that when I loose control in a race, I am unable to keep my car on track. If I could learn how to drift I might have some better chances to keep my car on the track.
And also, I am curious by nature, and like to try different things.
Racers should not be scared, we won't turn into drifters just because of some training lessons.
See you on Redine Racers - FOX - AS Club.
Quote from Hyperactive :Drifting is a useful car control skill and can and is used as a tranining method in real life. Imho, a few drifting lessons would be all good in LFS. Even if LFS is a racing sim it still doesn't mean that drifting is just a side effect.

I completely agree with you on this hyperactive. Learning to contole a slide (Drifting) has alowed me to explore more of the usefull slip angle while racing and taught me the correct methouds of catching a slide and recovering from it gracefully. But I do not see a way to use an driving lession in a computer simulation to really teach this kind of technique. There is just no easy way then to go out and read, feel, try and do.
racing is about car control and so is drifting. maybe through drifting, you'll discover a new approach to certain corners or under certain situations when trying to pass.

if you're having trouble with understeer on a certain corner, you might do better with a little drifting practice. or doing the opposite if you are struggling with oversteer.
some of the best drifters are those who are brought up from track racing backgrounds. eg. tsuchiya
Im gonna stick to the topic....... unlike most people. lol.Should there be a drift lesson in LFS??? 100% YES
#36 - JJ72
no for me, since a auto cross training lesson will automatically teach you about dynamic car control over the limit at a safe speed, and I think that's the point of the training. It's just an introduction to car dynamics, and in that regard, there's no difference whether you want to drift or grip. I don't think anyone without a clue on what car dynamic is should start drifting right away because there's so much going on. Or challenge himself a lap around south city long in the LX6 for the same reason.

Instead he should develop his skill bit by bit, and the training lesson do just that, breaking down essential skills. When people go learn drifting, they always start by doing donuts and 8 figure slides at slow speed, to learn about balancing the front and rear over the grip limit. And that's something you will naturally learn about when you try to drive fast as well, dedicated drift techniques should not come into play until you are some sort of novice in track driving, or else one might become a drift only driver who can't race.

I understand there is a drift community here but the skills involved in racing is generally much more applicable in a vast situation. One who race will naturally know how to induce or correct a slide, and he just need to do some adjustment so to start drifting, but one who drift won't have experience with threshold braking and maintaining minimal friction under the limit. introducing racing techniques early (even though the user might be orientated to drifting already) would help bringing up a more all rounded individual, which in the end avoid the split in both worlds.
Quote from Forbin :The devs did when they called it an "Online Racing Simulator". The fact you can drift if you so choose is merely a side effect of the realistic physics and is neither supported or endorsed by the devs.

Is a simulator, and whoy not?

+1
Quote from Berseker_d :Is a simulator, and whoy not?

+1

Because you are completely disregarding the adjective describing what it is. Simulator is the noun, telling you what the program/game is and Racing is the adjective describing what type of simulator it is.

Again, racing is the focus of LFS. If you were developing a hockey simulator and was focused on creating the best in realism hockey simulator, would you stop everything you were doing and move away from your focus to code something for figureskaters like a figureskating skate because some people wanted to figure skate in the hockey simulator, since they are both done on ice and it's realisticly possible to figureskate on the same ice hockey is played on? (sheesh, that was one long sentence )

If it was all about money and selling LFS for the developers, then I would say it was neccessary for them to turn away from the focus and work on the drifting aspect of motorsports. Fortunately for us (the racing community, the ones benefiting from the focus) it is not about selling LFS, but a passion about creating the best realistic racing simulator. EA is focused on selling the software. LFS is focused on creating the best and most realistic. We benefit from that focus.
you dont think the LFS devs are talented enough to develop a few drifting lessons without delaying LFS a few years? Do you guys think that it will really take away from the focus of lfs that much?
i suspect it is just that people dont like drifting for whatever reasons. anything drifting related is seen as bad. meh i'm bored
Quote from mrodgers :If you were developing a hockey simulator and was focused on creating the best in realism hockey simulator, would you stop everything you were doing and move away from your focus to code something for figureskaters like a figureskating skate because some people wanted to figure skate in the hockey simulator, since they are both done on ice and it's realisticly possible to figureskate on the same ice hockey is played on?

Nice analogy.
Nice analogy Mike.

-2 to OP
I don't care about the whole figure skating/ice hockey analogues. In the end you could compare tennis and baseball.

Even if it wasn't the thread starter's idea to improve racing skills by adding drifting lessons it still doesn't mean that it wouldn't. Car control is essential part of racing and in the beginning it is the hardest part as well, especially if you are new to racing sims. Learning how to control the rear end of the car will make the learning curve a lot easier when you start building up speed. Just because a lot people here despise drifting doesn't mean that it is something LFS should never support, in small amounts. I don't think LFS should be a drifting sim, but LFS could take parts of drifting and use them to enhance the racing aspect.
Yes learning to drift has benifits for grip racing as well. The question then becomes how do you code a simulator based lesson to teach this skill? I can not think of a good way.
Quote from Gimpster :Yes learning to drift has benifits for grip racing as well. The question then becomes how do you code a simulator based lesson to teach this skill? I can not think of a good way.

It is never advantagous to use drifting techniques (the handbrake and so-on) on almost all race tracks. I doubt anyone would have used the handbrake (in a touring car or GT car) on the pre-modifed Beijing circuit hairpin ...
Don't disrespect drifting so much. Sure, they're not running around the track trying to find the perfect line, but I'll tell you one thing most drifters are doing. Having fun. Drifting on LFS is relaxing to me, and that's why I do it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

However, a lesson for drifting... that wouldn't be that easy. Drifting is an art form, you've got to practice it a lot to get good at it... I've drifted for a while, and I still make mistakes. It'd be hard to get someone to drift properly in a short amount of time to pass a lesson.
-1. Drifting can't be tought through a lesson, go onto Autocross and place yourself a few cones and slide around them. Practice is the key.

Duke I am not talking about using the hand brake to enter a slide and that is a rather poor and noob way to enter a drift. The skills I am talking about are the one used to control and correct slides. Drifting will teach you the propper way to catch a slide, control it and recover it. Those three skills are very usefull to know for racing.

You can also use a drift to bleed speed in a corner or build heat in cold tires. I have used it to block passes and make passes on diffacult corners. My lap times improved after I took the time to practice drifting. I was no longer so timid with the car. I have the confidence that if I entered a corner too hot I could bleed the speed, if I lost the back end I could catch the slide and work with it. This added confidence allowed me to push the car more and as such I learned to use more of the cars handeling envelope.

Yes drifting is not the fastest way through a corner, but the same skills used in drifting have a place in racing.

But as I have said befor and other have you can't teach it with a computer lession, its one of those skills that you have to learn through lots and lots of practice.
Quote from Gimpster :Yes learning to drift has benifits for grip racing as well. The question then becomes how do you code a simulator based lesson to teach this skill? I can not think of a good way.

Imho, the correct way could be to encourage people to learn to control the car in all situations. One lesson could be a very tight track to get a good time with the special key: disallow the hand brake, for example. One would need to learn the basic drifting techniques and then use them as a race driving technique, adjusted to speed, not style .

You could tell before the actual excersice about weight trancsfer and how it is possible to use it as an adventage. Lift-off oversteer, using brakes to initiate oversteer etc. are all important parts of basic car handling and should be the first thing to learn when in car. Driving around cones teaches you nothing if you don't understand what's going on
Quote : The word race suggests a competiton where the fastest person wins... so the fastest person would be the one who doesn't drift...

In D1GB, the fastest person wins, it's not judged on style etc.
Quote from TiJay :In D1GB, the fastest person wins, it's not judged on style etc.

So you could win easily by not drifting?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG