The online racing simulator
Freelancer
(37 posts, started )
Quote from Vain :I have to admit that I liked Freelancer mostly because of the well done game-world. Can this Beyond The Red Line compete in that aspect?

Vain

There won't be any trading etc, as it follows the storyline of BSG the series.
More of a dogfighting game I would have said from what I've played so far.
Hmm, one might find Freelancer quite cheaply today, really liked it too when I tried the demo. Tried Freespace 2 too at the time it was released (demo) but my cheapo logitech joystick wasn't really optimum for it with its huge deadzones and few buttons. Since then I have preferred mouse controlled space flying and so far haven't really found anything too catchy. Eve didn't really feel enough for its pricetag... Talking about older games, I think it's time for me to play Soldier of fortune 2 through again. One of the few 1st person shooters I really like, for some strange reason
Quote from Hyperactive :Hmm, one might find Freelancer quite cheaply today, really liked it too when I tried the demo. Tried Freespace 2 too at the time it was released (demo) but my cheapo logitech joystick wasn't really optimum for it with its huge deadzones and few buttons. Since then I have preferred mouse controlled space flying and so far haven't really found anything too catchy. Eve didn't really feel enough for its pricetag... Talking about older games, I think it's time for me to play Soldier of fortune 2 through again. One of the few 1st person shooters I really like, for some strange reason

I recently got a copy of Farcry. Excellent 1st person shooter. Outside in the atols of the south pacific so it feels nice. Not quite as chlosteraphopic as doom and quake etc

Reminds me of being a kid running around the woods
I'll be burgered! The lads (some of us) at [dSRC] hit Freelancer for a while last year, I even have a server still set up on my site, complete with stats and stuff...
We had some fun times running around the galaxy, best part is grouping up and trying the missions together, or even having 3 or 4 of ya hitting big convoys as pirates

_IF_ there was enough interest, it would literally take 3 mouseclicks to get the server up and running again..let me know!.
-
(Vain) DELETED by Vain
Quote from Gentlefoot :Are we talking ZX Spectrum here?

BBC micro was the first computer i played Elite on.
Was it ever released on the Spectrum? i cant remember playing it on that system. Probably was though.

Thanks for reminding me about Freelancer though...I'm going to rummage through the box of old disks and dig it out.
I only played it single player..didn't have the interweb at the time. Multiplayer could be interesting if there are people out there still playing it.

Edit..just seen Bladerunners post. Maybe we could get a few of us together for a Freelancer online session sometime soon then
Quote from Vain :I just tried BtRL. I didn't get past the second objective of the tutorial.
The first 10 minutes the game tried to use my FFB shifter for a flight-stick, and it wouldn't let me change the method of control in the game, then it tried using keyboard, when I removed the joystick from it's configuration, and when I set it up with the mouse I had up/down reversed. And each time I changed something I was forced to sit through 5 minutes of "This is not a game, press T"-gibberish, only to find out what the option I just changed actually did.
So, no, thanks.
I'll stick with proper games.

Vain

Select the axis you want to invert, and click invert.

You can skip 'basic flight' by clicking a button that appears in the top right during the briefing.
Quote from Gentlefoot :I recently got a copy of Farcry. Excellent 1st person shooter. Outside in the atols of the south pacific so it feels nice. Not quite as chlosteraphopic as doom and quake etc

Reminds me of being a kid running around the woods

Yup, Farcry is really good for 50% of the game , but they seemed to run out of ideas half way through.
Once you start fighting loads of monsters it all went a bit downhill. imho of course.
Quote from The Moose :BBC micro was the first computer i played Elite on.
Was it ever released on the Spectrum? i cant remember playing it on that system. Probably was though.

It was a Beeb game first, but it ended up on the Commode and the Spectrum too. I remember many an afternoon spent squinting through my Lenslok(tm) to try to get the stupid thing to let me in.

Quote from The Moose :Yup, Farcry is really good for 50% of the game , but they seemed to run out of ideas half way through.
Once you start fighting loads of monsters it all went a bit downhill. imho of course.

How far did you manage to launch the shark? I forgot all about the actual objective of the game and spent hours piling up gas barrels and spare powerboats under that shark!
Quote from thisnameistaken :IHow far did you manage to launch the shark? I forgot all about the actual objective of the game and spent hours piling up gas barrels and spare powerboats under that shark!

I really cant remember. See what you've done now, I'm going to have to reinstall Farcry now as well.. Im going to have an oldschool gaming weekend

Anyone know where i can get a BBC micro emulator and a copy of Elite
I still have a boxed Spectrum copy of Elite with the manuals and the lenslock. No idea if the magnetic data on the tape has survived though... I was saving it for my retirement fund ! lol...
Quote from The Moose :Anyone know where i can get a BBC micro emulator and a copy of Elite

How about "Frontier: Elite II" for the PC? It's not bad actually - I accidentally installed it a couple of years ago and ended up playing it for days.
Quote from thisnameistaken :How about "Frontier: Elite II" for the PC? It's not bad actually - I accidentally installed it a couple of years ago and ended up playing it for days.

Wow, nice work...now i have to decide weather to install this and risk being disappointed or just remember Elite as it was. I find the memory of these old games is usually better than the reality.

...ohh bugger it..i cant resist having a peek

Freelancer
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG