How Do You Drift?
(33 posts, started )
#1 - ShoX
How Do You Drift?
All I've got to use is a mouse and the keyboard... and i cant drift atall!!! i always spin out :'(

can some of you lot using mouse or keyboard teach me???

and also what does the rest of the LFS community use to drift...

*i have the downloaded version if thats any help car wise*
Shox - don't let the rabble put you off. If you look up a guide on drifting for real, the same techniques apply in LFS (same goes for racing), you should be able to do it ok with the mouse but it will take LOTS of practise (just like in real life ).

Start with the default setups, get used to power sliding with them, then start playing with the setups to make the car more 'loose' but to suit your technique ... do searches to check out the good info already posted here, and over at lfstorque.net for more info
#3 - Woz
Look for "The Drift Bible" on youtube or similar, has all you need to know.

Also just drive without trying to drift. Get used to the cars and how they feel, when and how they lose grip etc. If you don't know how the cars drive and feel you will not be able to tell what state the car is in.
Scandinavian flick. Another advice : don't try to drift at a huge angle.
All I did when I tried drifting was drive as normal with a slightly more oversteery set. At corner entry I allow the back to get lose and don't correct it if I would when racing. Then I get the power on early at the apex and allow the back to come smoothly back into line at exit.
There are 4 techniques in drifting. You could:

Handbrake - Use the handbrake breifly on entry,
Shift Lock - down change early causing the rears to lock
braking - use the footbrake to get weight over front breaking the back lose
Dynamic - weight transfer from one side to another e.g scandinavian flick.
I'm not sure of the name for the technique I use to drift, but here goes. (with the XRT)

I usually have a set that has the brake balance setup so the car has a tendency to bring the rear around. It's a bit tricky to live with at first, but you can control the car even under heavy braking after you spend some quality time with the set.

Whenever I enter the corner, I usually hit the brakes pretty hard, don't lock it up though. Then, I floor it and turn in the direction of the corner until the rear end is at a decent angle. At this point, I alternate between counter-steering and bringing the wheel to center, to keep a good drift going. Usually, I bring the wheel back at a slow pace, but if I have too much of an angle, I might have to jerk it back. Pretty much all there is to it, for me at least.

I guess it's basically weight shifting, now that I've explained how I do it.
A bit OT: Watching a Top Gear repeat they showed the Japanese D1 cars in action, and they all seemed to be locking up the rear wheels on-and-off through the whole corner - has anyone found this helping under LFS?

At the mo I usually feint into the corners, just occasionally using the handbrake if its not turning enough.
Look on Google Video for the complete Drift Bible (Which is about 1 hour), everything you need to know is there

Also look at my basic drift setup, almost like the one I use but a little easier to control
#10 - ShoX
thanks for all the replys people, i can only find a 6min 24sec drift bible on youtube and its in chinese so i cant understand...
I had the same problem at first... the advice that has been given are very good.
i find that its not the setups that help you drift but more the options menu.. have a fiddle with it and see if it helps you improve
uhh what id do to drift is I use KB I set my kb to stablized then turn the steering speed all the way up....

You also need manual....i go into corner i hit e-brake then I brake a little to get into 3rd then shift to 2nd then i stay on the gas/key and it keeps the rev up enough to get you thru then go on from there....take awhile to get used to.
yea when I first started LFS I went into a room and was like "how do you frikin control these things!" and everybody was like "noob" and stuff lol..but just play, get the feel for it, then drift!

btw, look at my sig lol
#15 - ShoX
well last night i done abit of drifting went round one corner fairly nicely just ended up coming out at a angle to the nearest curb *inner curb* then i done some more drifting it was goin nicely then my mouse lost power :@ damn USB mouses!!!
try using the KB and the arrow keys
#17 - ShoX
i cant use the arrow keys im too heavy handed, and the lil red cursor doesnt mouse as fast when i use keys... unless theres a way i can change the sensitivity of the keys.
#18 - ShoX
well i found out what drift technique im using and its called shift lock im getting pretty good at it too :P, i also tried playing the game with my xbox 360 controller, lol found it quite hard...

i should also be buying the actualy game instead of using the demo soon
How I drift is that I release the gas before the corner, turn, clutch, handbrake, and then downshift. Then I countersteer. The reason why i downshift, for me, is to gain RPM so as to maintain my speed.
Quote from JamesK :A bit OT: Watching a Top Gear repeat they showed the Japanese D1 cars in action, and they all seemed to be locking up the rear wheels on-and-off through the whole corner - has anyone found this helping under LFS?

Locking the brakes can extend the slide without increasing the drifting angle. This technique can be helpful if you misjudge the turn-in point and/or -speed and see that you will apex too early.
Its not drifting...its crashing...with style

I first started out in LFS drifting, I done it the simple way...throw it into a turn and floor the throttle, then control it using the steering.
Quote from Gentlefoot :There are 4 techniques in drifting. You could:

Handbrake - Use the handbrake breifly on entry,
Shift Lock - down change early causing the rears to lock
braking - use the footbrake to get weight over front breaking the back lose
Dynamic - weight transfer from one side to another e.g scandinavian flick.

There's more than that:

Power Over - floor it at the apex and drift out of the corner.
You can use the clutch also, Tiff Needel was doing that in an episode of 5th Gear last year, he broke the Drift car though.
Quote from frokki :Locking the brakes can extend the slide without increasing the drifting angle. This technique can be helpful if you misjudge the turn-in point and/or -speed and see that you will apex too early.

Thanks for clearing that up
Quote from Batou. :they use the handbrake to adjust the drift, that's why you only see the rear wheels lock up.

personally i think it's cheating...

i usually use weight transitioning to get into a corner, or even brake first.

Noob answer...

E-Brake is use to initiate a drift (Like in really tight corners or just if you started drifting) and to correct angle (Pulling e-brake half a second for bigger angle) Tho some peoples don't use it at all

How Do You Drift?
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG