The online racing simulator
Why Is LFS So Much Better Than Anything Else?
Sorry if this has been asked before...

But, most people on this forum will agree that LFS is one of, if not the best racing sim available. I have seen videos on YouTube of LFS and in the comments it says, "Best sim ever!!"

It got me thinking...
What makes LFS so much better than other Race Sims that you would buy off the shelf?

LFS is only made by 3 guys, whereas other racer sims have teams of hundreds, but LFS is still classed as the best by alot of people. Why so? I admit, it is a brilliant game, and I love it. But when makes is that extra bit special?
I agree with you there, when i downloaded it for the first time i thought the graphics were amazing for a free game..that was until i found out you had to buy S2.
what also makes it good is that the multiplayer mode is superior to the online ones on your xbox or playstation. And the fact that when you get it you dont have to faf around trying to connect ethernet wires to your router:arge:

the only bad thing i can say about it is that at first all the documents were confusig to me like where do it put skins and engine sounds???? it just takes a while to grasp
It feels the most like you are actually driving a car

...on a pc
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it is devoloped by racing fans. Most other racing games are devoloped by people who wouldnt know the first thing about taking a turn. This and the lfs community, which is also amazing, especially considering the devs actually consider and care about what the users of the game want, like and dont like. The devs RULE! Honestly, they are doing an amazing job, i think they deserve more respect. Programming anything is hard work, but for 3 people to build a game that PWNS ALL other racing games, ITS QUITE AN ACOMPLISHMENT. if im even in england again, (was there before i played lfs) I would love to go and personally thank the devs. Just think about lfsworld! ITS AMAZING! that must have taken a lot of work. havent seen that anywhere else...
While LFS does not do every part of the physics engine the best, does not have the most eye catching graphics, and does not have the most stunning sound in the sim racing world, it has managed to build a blend that offers an experance like no other.

As other have said, this sim alone feel more like driving a real car then anything else I have driven, its graphics are not distracting and the sounds convey what information you need them to. Combine that with devs that are designing the sim they wany to use, the increadable comunity and the ease of use this sim offers and it become one very imersive sim, despite all the areas where it is not hte best in class.

This is one software package that is definitly more then the sum of its parts. It have found some magical ballance that just works and gets better with every version.
The one thing I like about LFS is that you can play it in any computer and it will be playable. Unlike rFactor and others LFS is able to addpet to weak computers. The physics are the most realistic also.
Its the best because it has no rivals as such, cos riceTractor isnt really a sim, and it has a much larger development team.
This game is also the only true simulation racing game available. The difference between LFS and all other games is that, it isn't actually a game. There is no final Objective to work to, No strict storyline, No "players" or characters. this all gives the player a full control over what he can and can't do. There's no game I know of like this and it gives us all the extra edge
It's simple: LFS = Has the best physics + great multiplayer netcode
It's so much better because people fail to see other perspectives. Ask an rfactor forum this question and you'd get some rather different responses
Best physics.

That's everything for me…
The devs have different values than the bigger rivals. The first priority isn't making huge loads of money and getting filty rich overnight. Things are done well and carefully without shortcuts, to make the best racing game ever before. In my opinion, it's the development concept and the devs and their love to the game that makes LFS superior to it's rivals.
The reason for LFS being so much better than a lot of other games/simulators is that it captures the feel of driving a real car at a real track. That's pretty much it. :lfs:
#14 - Woz
Quote from Blowtus :It's so much better because people fail to see other perspectives. Ask an rfactor forum this question and you'd get some rather different responses

That is if you find someone, There is the grand total of..... drum roll..... 6 people playing rF online as I post this looking at RaceCast.

SIX
Quote from Woz :That is if you find someone, There is the grand total of..... drum roll..... 6 people playing rF online as I post this looking at RaceCast.

SIX

EDIT: 6
I cant´t understand why people are constantly discussing about the graphics!
Using 1280x1024, 4xAA, 16xAF, Trancparency-AA: Multisampling + Hires skies and hires skin and packs, my LFS look far better and more realistic than GTR 2.

GTR 2 looks arcade like, it´s to colorful, for my taste.

Pimping LFS makes a huge difference!

Why LFS is the best simulation? GT4 plays like an arcade racer compared to LFS.
It´s like Colin McRae compared to Richard Burns Rallye. First one totally arcade, second one almost too realistic and very challenging.
It's the one most thought-out, as you can see by many details such as auto-skindownloading, LfSW and so on... Just looking at what the cars doing, you can tell there's great physics underlining it's spot at the top...
Quote from Blackout :Things are done well and carefully without shortcuts, to make the best racing game ever before.

That about sums it up Yes, the devs could have made a average game in much less time by taking the usual shortcuts, but instead they have taken the time to do things as well as they can. Of course it takes longer, but the extra time and effort is clearly paying off in terms of the quality of the sim.
Quote from Woz :That is if you find someone, There is the grand total of..... drum roll..... 6 people playing rF online as I post this looking at RaceCast.

SIX

There doesn't seem to be any problem filling league spots...
Quote from Hyperactive :It feels the most like you are actually driving a car

...on a pc

Actually I would say netKar-Pro does that better than LFS. Shame the rest of netKar-Pro is so awful.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Actually I would say netKar-Pro does that better than LFS. Shame the rest of netKar-Pro is so awful.

I guess nk pro as a whole represents single seaters better than LFS but the only car I like in nk pro is the 1800 formula something. The cars in nk pro just feel too "rigid" somehow to me :/
Quote from Blowtus :There doesn't seem to be any problem filling league spots...

That's because with rFactor no one can just go:

"Hmm I'd fancy a good online race now".

Thanks to server browser endlessly bitch about mismatches, wrong versions and horrible mods...
Maybe. I'd like to spend more time with nK-P but after 15 minutes or so my frame rates slow to a crawl so I can't evaluate it very well.

The cars feel a lot more mechanical than those in LFS though. LFS always feels a bit too precise or "mathematical" to me. I think a lot of it is due to the way the gearboxes work.
I think the reason LFS stands out is because there are 2 things that are needed for a good emersion (physics, ffb, sound etc) and good online mode now lfs is IMO beaten by other sims in one or two areas but lfs is IMO the only sim that does them all well and so beats every other sim.
best physics and very clean overall feel despite not being "ready"

Why Is LFS So Much Better Than Anything Else?
(315 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG