The online racing simulator
How do you shift?
(39 posts, started )
How do you shift?
I shift with my keyboard, auto shift off, auto clutch off, the way a real racer would drive a Stick. It's easy.

clutch-shift-rev-gas-clutch-shift-gas-clutch-shift-gas-clutch-shift-gas-clutch-shift lol

Edit: sequense fixed
Errrrr... what?! :hypnotize
Medic !!!!

think he bumped his head ontoo the rollcage

:nurse: :nurse:
rofl @ yozzer

I have a DFP and Act-Labs pedals with the clutch, so I usually keep autoclutch off, my method is lift, clutch, shift, back on the loud pedal. Sometimes if I feel lazy I'll turn the autoclutch on and just lift a bit between shifts.

Most people I think just use the paddles on their steering wheels, so there isn't a whole to explain about shifting.
Off with his head !!!! :headbang:
Quote from TurboRacer35 :...shift-clutch-gas...

You shift before clutch o_O That can't be good...
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :You shift before clutch o_O That can't be good...

I clutch it after 5th on a 5 speed?

Edit: Oops: I got the beginning messed up.
#8 - (SaM)
Lol, dont do that when you get to drive a manual in real life, that's cog grindage.
In LFS, you can clutch in, shift, clutch out and get on the throttle. That's the way I do it and that's the way you have to do in just about any car.

Clutch in - shift - clutch out - gas - clutch in - shift - clutch out - gas etc.

But you can also shift first and then press clutch in LFS.
Quote from (SaM) :Lol, dont do that when you get to drive a manual in real life, that's cog grindage.
In LFS, you can clutch in, shift, clutch out and get on the throttle. That's the way I do it and that's the way you have to do in just about any car.

Clutch in - shift - clutch out - gas - clutch in - shift - clutch out - gas etc.

But you can also shift first and then press clutch in LFS.

Shifting first and clutching will stall if you're not quick if you don't use autoclutch (like me.)
Quote from TurboRacer35 :Shifting first and clutching will stall if you're not quick if you don't use autoclutch (like me.)

Not in LFS, I do it all the time.
Its the other way around, if you release the clutch before you've finished shifting, it will go into neutal.
clutch in - shift - slight throttle - clutch out - full throttle
Copy that another 5 times to get the way to 6th...
I have DFP, and I use the buttons that replaces the paddles. I have autoclutch on (I know, I'm lazy)
With my hands and legs.
auto clutch and padels, dfp
Quote from Qurpiz :I have DFP, and I use the buttons that replaces the paddles. I have autoclutch on (I know, I'm lazy)

TURN OFF THE AUTO CLUTCH, WiMP

Edit by Fonnybone: I took the liberty to reduce your font size a bit, seriously though, i hope you are joking. Either that or you are a fireman.
Quote from TurboRacer35 :TURN OFF THE AUTO CLUTCH, WiMP

Your font is too small, I can barely read it. Please use a bigger font next time
Quote from TurboRacer35 :TURN OFF THE AUTO CLUTCH, WiMP

I used to have a additional pedal as a clutch and I used the DFPs shifter. After a while I started to feel bit weird. In reality car's dont have sequential gearboxes and use a manual clutch (atleast I don't know one). Also LFSs manual clutch does not feel right. Not having any forces in the clutch pedal makes it feel unrealistic and also difficult to judge does the clutch work right. You can actually shift faster with manual clutch by just only hitting the clutch a really tiny amount (Even faster if you press the gear change button before applying clutch). And in LFS the car won't stall anyway, the autoclutch kicks in when you are about to stall even if you have set it off.
So now I just use the paddles in DFP (with autoclutch).

Also real race cars like GTRs in LFS probably would have a sequential gearbox with autoclutch anyway.
Quote :I shift with my keyboard, auto shift off, auto clutch off, the way a real racer would drive a Stick. It's easy.

I shift with the keyb mostly, so here

Up:
release gas
tap the clutch and shift simultaneously
pedal to the metal

Down:
step on the brakes
tap clutch and shift simultaneously
tap brakes if wheels lock

And downshifting w/ pedals & stick (autoclutch):
step on the brakes
tap clutch, gas (manual blip) & shift simultaneously
loosen up on the brakes if wheels lock
Quote from geeman1 :You can actually shift faster with manual clutch by just only hitting the clutch a really tiny amount

Your wrong here, as long as I've been playing with a clutch pedal you've needed to fully depress the clutch to change gear. That's the most common cause of a miss shift for me, not depressing the clutch far enough and ending up in neutral.
Maybe there's some setting I don't know about but this is how it is afaik.

btw, sequential shifter, manual clutch, all aids off
Quote from tailing :Your wrong here, as long as I've been playing with a clutch pedal you've needed to fully depress the clutch to change gear. That's the most common cause of a miss shift for me, not depressing the clutch far enough and ending up in neutral.

Tiny was maybe a little wrong word here, but any way you don't have to press the clutch all the way anyway. About half way maybe, when I used manual clutch I just pressed the clutch as fast as I could, so it's hard to tell how fully it went. Only thing I am sure of is that it's a lot faster to use manual clutch than autoclutch, because the autoclutch is really slow.
mouse driver...autoclutch , handshifting.
tried manual clutch also but thats too hard lol
will try it when i get a wheel
me only siwtches up and down

kidding...
autoclutch, manuel shifting of course!
Hi!
I have a old'n cheap microsoft wheel and extra pedals from flightsim use i use as a clutch.

So paddles on wheel+clutch.
I like it's more fun to drive like this.
Maybe for formula cars i switch autoclutch on.

-Jone-
I have a clutch pedal - I simply bolted 2 sets of pedals on a base plate - 1 MS Sidewinder one Thrustmaster GP. The Thrustmaster pedals are more sensitive and accurate but I hate the feel of them, so I use the Sidewinder pedals for gas and brakes. Heel-toeing is also easier with the Sidewinder pedals, as they are further apart than the Thrustmaster's.
Oh, and I use the Thrustmaster Wheel and shift with the stick.
I started building an H-shifter, too; mechanics are already done, but after getting a bill from the motorcycle garage that was three times higher than expected I had to put the project on ice.
shift?!?!? what the hell?

and what are gears??

ohh, i think this will explain so much for my lap times

How do you shift?
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG