The online racing simulator
Set your LFS FF to 25% and your Profiler to 100% for RWD at 900 degrees.

For FWD, 45% in LFS.

For Formula, 65% in LFS as far as I can remember.

That's what I read and use.
I'm sorry, asking just under 200 people doesn't tell a thing... Basing a whole study on such low numbers is just ridiculous...
The fact that its an unsubstantiable study won't stop those who hate computer games from siting it
Hmmmmm, look at the racing games they used...

Quote from The Register :German researchers reckon that playing computer driving games encourages people men to take more risks when driving in the real world. Researchers carried out three studies using three racing games - Burnout, Midnight Racer, Need for Speed - and three non-racing control games - Tak, Crash Bandicoot and Fifa 2005. All games were played on a Sony PlayStation 2 using a 72in TV screen. One study also used Medal of Honour to see if a violent shoot 'em-up would have the same effect.

http://www.theregister.com/200 ... s_make_dangerous_drivers/
I find Burnout especially funny--isnt the goal of that game causing accidents? And NFS and Midnight Racer certainly reward high-risk behavior in the game as well. Anyway, ignoring what I consider to be the questionable selection of games, and the small scale of the study, it actually seems reasonably sound.

Anyway, as another benefit besides countersteering, I also notice most "non-racers" brake in corners instead of before them, which makes me cringe. The traction circle is not an intuitive thing.
I drive like a granny.
Quote from Hyperactive :It is like saying that large portion of people who eat ham like ham.

About a year ago I had a short time when I had no internets connection and so I couldn't really play LFS online. I didn't like hotlappiong either so didn't play or drive racing sims at during that period. The interesting thing was that my speeds in real car got higher and I took sometimes a bit more racy approach on corners and roundabouts than usually. Nothing stupidly dangerous but there was some kind of noticable effect. When I got back into LFS my speeds went back to normal. I guess it is just the feeling of getting closer to the limit that I need sometimes.

That exact same thing happened to me...
#34 - aoun
Even though LFS or sim racing games arent 100% like real life racing, they give a similar feeling with reactions, lines etc. What difference is it with LFS compared to just comming off the race track? You dont see Marcos Ambrose or Kimi Rakkionin crashing. I know them compared to normal drivers are way different but still..

On the race track, you can reach 200kph avg (more in gtrs or ss, less in slower cars.. watever..) and you take risks to pass etc to win.. and ive been told by nearly everyone whos been racing or atleast been on a race track, that it improves your driving skills ALOT!.
Just this morning on the local news as I was waiting for the weather reports...

"Studies show that people who play racing computer games are more aggressive behind the wheel and have more accidents."

That is all. What a ridiculous statement. Nothing about the study. Just the reporting that studies show that. Well, studies also showed that since my state, Pennsylvania, revoked the mandatory helmet law when riding a motorcycle, motorcycle accidents and deaths have risen 25%. What they failed to report was that the number of motorcycles on the road increased by like 75%. So, it would appear that accidents went up, when in reality, the ratio of accidents to motorcycle riders went down.

Studies never show an unbiased result. They are always reported in a way that show the results to support the opinion of the one doing the study.
#36 - aoun
^ Very true.. agreeing on that champ..
Quote from mrodgers :"Studies show that people who play racing computer games are more aggressive behind the wheel and have more accidents."

Quote from JamesK :The fact that its an unsubstantiable study won't stop those who hate computer games from siting it

I'm thinking of taking up fortune telling

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG