Test Drive Unlimited
(634 posts, started )
DAMN.

I will definitely be purchasing this when it comes out here in one week. Admittedly, I had to find "other means" of getting it at this point since there is no demo but I'll certainly buy it, it's really fun! The physics are gay of course, but that's not why one plays this game anyway. The graphics are actually REALLY nice, not overdone and the modelling of the island is really amazing. It plays fine for me, 35-55fps usually at 1280x1024, 8XAA, 16XAF, HDR & max details. The scenery is really something and the scope of the game is just vast. If it had LFS physics I would quit my job to play it full time, so I'm glad it doesn't. Looking foward to the online component, should be fun.

I wish I could disable the "look while steer" and enable "instant look" since those things (& lack thereof the latter) make me dizzy.

The traffic is cool - obeying lights & signs, travelling appropriate but diverse speeds and occasionally doing dumb things... I'm pretty sure those "delivery" missions are stealing the car... come on, 90 grand to take a car to the repair shop? lol.

I haven't seen any bugs yet except once the trees turned into blue garbage, but restarting the game fixed that. Other than that it seems alright, and didn't wreck my PC - so that's nice.
Its weird how the game freeze-lags when i start it in Low settings, and how i have a good 30+fps when i start it in high rez..
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :DAMN.
If it had LFS physics I would quit my job to play it full time, so I'm glad it doesn't.

Yeah, I agree. Wish it had LFS physics. Why can't LFS sell a physics engine that other games can use?

Just bought this game yesterday. So far I'm only getting a slight stutter. Other than that the graphics are GORGEOUS. It's like something between Far Cry and Crysis. The vegetation is really that good. It puts NFS Carbon to shame.

I'm not an expert on car physics in games. The only thing I notice is the force feedback doesn't compare to LFS. I don't feel bumps in the road and I'm not getting that counter steering effect. But I'm not sure if my wheel is configured properly for it.

Can you explain what's "gay" about the physics? -- not that there is anything wrong with being gay...hehe.
LOL

I mean in comparison to LFS, which clearly is the current pinnacle of vehicle dyanmics on a PC - and that's what the focus is; realism. The mass market will not be interested in realism, since it would be "too difficult" for a game like this... TDU is a great game, clearly not a sim - while LFS is a sim, which has the goal in mind of the most accurate reproduction of physics possible.

If you need me to explain the difference between the physics in TDU & LFS then it probably won't do any good to do so

However, suffice it to say that TDU is clearly not attempting to recreate real life physical reactions between car & road surface, whereas LFS obviously is. That's not wrong, just different and for obvious reasons. ... I wouldn't even know where to start with trying to explain what's not realistic about TDU's car behaviour, my brain is overloading just thinking about it.... Hit some grass at 200+Km/h and get side ways, and see how you come to a stop in about 2 seconds... Some of the right components are there obviously, so the cars will accelerate about the same as the real ones etc but I think you'll get the point.

Still love it though.
had a go, but every few mins my screen goes randomly black...?
If I run it at 1280x1024 full detail or 800x600 low detail I still get just about the same amount of stutter when entering cities and getting passed by AI cars, it makes it really hard to control the saleen at 240 when the frame rate drops
Well, I have TDU for the XBOX 360, and I have to say I love it. The physics aren't the best, but the concept is great, and it's pretty well executed I think, at least on the XBOX. I obviously don't get any framerate drops or have any issues with the uninstallers like the PC version would have, I just pop the disc in and play.

Now, I just reached Champion level and unlocked the hardcore physics, and I have to say it made a WORLD of difference. The cars now behave 1000000 times more realistically. They feel like they have mass, there's body roll, you can actually lock the brakes, the cars understeer but are controllable with the throttle, it's just way better. A large, heavy car like the Chrysler 300C SRT-8 understeers a lot and feels very heavy, because it is. Something like the Noble M400 is absolutely a joy to drive and very very neutral. The cars now feel much more unique with the hardcore mode on.

Also with hardcore mode, you get a display that actually shows lateral and longitudinal grip for each tire, steering angle, the weight on each tire, suspension deflection, and lateral and longitudinal acceleration. Basically showing that there is actually physics behind the game now. I'm playing it on the XBOX using a controller, so there's still some steering help, but that's completely gone when using a wheel. The car is just far more predictable when in hardcore mode. I think it makes the game at least a thousand times better.
Quote from 96 GTS :Well, I have TDU for the XBOX 360, and I have to say I love it. The physics aren't the best, but the concept is great, and it's pretty well executed I think, at least on the XBOX. I obviously don't get any framerate drops or have any issues with the uninstallers like the PC version would have, I just pop the disc in and play.

Now, I just reached Champion level and unlocked the hardcore physics, and I have to say it made a WORLD of difference. The cars now behave 1000000 times more realistically. They feel like they have mass, there's body roll, you can actually lock the brakes, the cars understeer but are controllable with the throttle, it's just way better. A large, heavy car like the Chrysler 300C SRT-8 understeers a lot and feels very heavy, because it is. Something like the Noble M400 is absolutely a joy to drive and very very neutral. The cars now feel much more unique with the hardcore mode on.

Also with hardcore mode, you get a display that actually shows lateral and longitudinal grip for each tire, steering angle, the weight on each tire, suspension deflection, and lateral and longitudinal acceleration. Basically showing that there is actually physics behind the game now. I'm playing it on the XBOX using a controller, so there's still some steering help, but that's completely gone when using a wheel. The car is just far more predictable when in hardcore mode. I think it makes the game at least a thousand times better.

Is this "hardcore mode" avaliable for PC?
It's an unlockable.
Quote from 96 GTS :Well, I have TDU for the XBOX 360, and I have to say I love it. The physics aren't the best, but the concept is great, and it's pretty well executed I think, at least on the XBOX. I obviously don't get any framerate drops or have any issues with the uninstallers like the PC version would have, I just pop the disc in and play.

Eek, now I am on a mission. What do you have to do to get to champion? Expert didn't take long, but I'll I've been doing is pissing around buying cars tonight, not running races....
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Eek, now I am on a mission. What do you have to do to get to champion? Expert didn't take long, but I'll I've been doing is pissing around buying cars tonight, not running races....

if you know where to look its easy to find a 100% savegame
You guys make me want this game.

So is it really true about the game running really slow, and laggy on computers? Or is this for just the people with really weak, spywear infected, computeres from 1998?
Little tip, kill the "explorer.exe" process then run the game, stops 95% of the stuttering and low FPS for me.

The in-game detail switch makes NO difference to performance
Quote from Jakg :had a go, but every few mins my screen goes randomly black...?

Welcome to the paradise of Test Drive Unlimited

Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :Or is this for just the people with really weak, spywear infected, computeres from 1998?

Pentium 3.0, 1024 Ram, GF6600GT
Clean windows install - Clean TDU Uninstall (since it was unbearably laggy)
Just to let you know, with my "kill explorer trick", I get decent performance on a P4 3.4Ghz, 1Gb ram and 256mb ATI X800pro
When your in your "House", I think its the Awards screen where you can check how many points you've earned and what objectives you need to complete to move up to the next ranking. There's obvious things like complete x amount of races, and get gold on x amount, and also ones for the amount of property you own, online events competed in, car-collector ones, etc.
Quote from squidhead :Welcome to the paradise of Test Drive Unlimited

Oh, no fix then

Not a bad game, although its in no way a sim (as the TDU forum seems to think it is)
I get healthy performance on my A64 3000+, 1GB of RAM, and one X1900XT-X 512MB, though for some annoying reason AA will NOT turn on >: (

Two things, one, for some queer reason if I don't have HDR on full all my card renders is mess, and two, see attached. To use it create a profile called "Iceman2266" then just copy the save files from the folder into the one TDU creates.
Attached files
Iceman2266.zip - 37.2 KB - 173 views
If anyone wants, then there is a possible way to turn off traffic. For that, go to Euro/BnK/Vehicules and there is a folder named traffic. Rename it to trafficx, for example, and then in game you dont have traffic ingame, but those AI racers still are on.

Have Fun.
http://www.cheathappens.com/show_download.asp?ID=22279 is a link to a utility to give you a couple billion dollars(mode 2 worked for me). You get points for owning so many of each kind of cars and stuff, so you can get to the champion level without having to win that many races.

I unlocked hardcore mode(ctrl+g to get the little meter to show), and really wasn't that impressed, it just seemed unpredictable and I would just slide all over the place.
Quote from squidhead :Pentium 3.0, 1024 Ram, GF6600GT
Clean windows install - Clean TDU Uninstall (since it was unbearably laggy)

Heh, if you had a processor made by a proper company it would help *runs*

Quote from Shotglass :if you know where to look its easy to find a 100% savegame

Yeah, but where's the fun in that?

Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :So is it really true about the game running really slow, and laggy on computers? Or is this for just the people with really weak, spywear infected, computeres from 1998?

It runs excellent for me, and my PC is not cutting edge (but not poo either, see sig)

I would bet that the 2Gb of ram makes a large difference.

Quote from Jakg :Not a bad game, although its in no way a sim (as the TDU forum seems to think it is)

People think NFSU / MW / C are "sims", so I can only imagine what the general public thinks about TDU
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Yeah, but where's the fun in that?

for me the only fun part of this game is cruising around (and counting how many times it completely utterly crashes my pc ... yeah it just did it once again)

Quote :People think NFSU / MW / C are "sims", so I can only imagine what the general public thinks about TDU

should be part of the drivers test ... if you think either of those are sims youll never get a licence
Quote from Shotglass :for me the only fun part of this game is cruising around (and counting how many times it completely utterly crashes my pc ... yeah it just did it once again)

It's part of the game. If you crash your car, it crashes your PC to make it more realistic. (duh)

Quote :should be part of the drivers test ... if you think either of those are sims youll never get a licence

"Which of these are realistic boy?"
"... um.. NFS MW! right?"
"Get the hell out of here, no license for you!1111"

You never replied to my post in the V2 thread :cry:
TDU is annoying when it comes to setting up my wheel. It only has about 180* rotation, stupidly sensitive, or none at all, leaving one with very twitchy steering, and when I use the wheel and/or any of the items attached to it (any axis, or buttons) the game judders. I think I'll be keeping to keyboard for this game.
Sounds like you forgot to click the "enable wheel" button in the options.

Test Drive Unlimited
(634 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG