The online racing simulator
Drift technique
(47 posts, started )
Quote from thisnameistaken :You're doing it right, just practise if you want to be able to hold the car like that for longer periods. I hope you're not doing this in the GTi because it's never going to work.

You can even drift very well in the FXO and the GTi... It's just harder to hold it for a longer period, but drifting with FWD ISN'T impossible at all...
"drifting" with fwd cars is just not cool. Its just looked down on... since its just nowhere near as good looking and there are things you can do in a rwd car when drifting that cant be done in a fwd car without heavy heavy tuning.

I dont even like using the word drift and fwd in the same sentence.

People cant drift well with the fxo or any fwd car... well i guess good and bad are all relative.
Well, maybe because you actually have to be very skilled for drifting with FWD's?

Nah, just joking... Besides, I'm not much of a drifter, racing is more fun to me...
it's possible to drift fwds with huge amounts of positive camber in the back... looks quite strange though
Update
Some very good advice given thus far. The clutch technique has worked best for me. Very simple to initiate the drift. The problem for me now is ending the drift correctly. To regain traction, I let off the throttle but I tend to lose a lot more speed exiting the turn than the other players drifting online. If I try to maintain my speed and keep on the throttle, I either spin out or don't lose the drift at the turn's exit. I imagine exiting the turn has more to do with amount of countersteer so you can keep the revs up. Any advice on this aspect of drifting? You all have been very helpful to this point.

Edit: I was looking up prices of different racing wheels and following the advice of one of the posters here, looked for the Logi Driving Force pro wheel. I liked what I saw (minus the fact that it doesn't include foot pedals), but apparently this is a PS2 controller. Is there a version for USB?
Oh and more advice..

don't break your pedals
Quote from SuperSmitt :
Edit: I was looking up prices of different racing wheels and following the advice of one of the posters here, looked for the Logi Driving Force pro wheel. I liked what I saw (minus the fact that it doesn't include foot pedals), but apparently this is a PS2 controller. Is there a version for USB?

I don't know where you have this information from. The Logitech DFP comes with pedals and does have a USB connector (there is no version without). I have one and don't want to miss it anymore
Quote from Teufel :I don't know where you have this information from. The Logitech DFP comes with pedals and does have a USB connector (there is no version without). I have one and don't want to miss it anymore

I'm probably just being a noob. I know nothing about the PS2, as I don't own one; does it have a USB port? Here is my search result for the wheel on Google:
http://www.google.com/search?h ... ro&btnG=Google+Search

Just about every link says it is PS2 only, with a couple saying it is compatible with some PC games too.
they just say its for ps2 only but it even has drivers specificly for the PC (which give a lot of tweaking options)
Quote from SuperSmitt :Some very good advice given thus far. The clutch technique has worked best for me. Very simple to initiate the drift. The problem for me now is ending the drift correctly. To regain traction, I let off the throttle but I tend to lose a lot more speed exiting the turn than the other players drifting online. If I try to maintain my speed and keep on the throttle, I either spin out or don't lose the drift at the turn's exit. I imagine exiting the turn has more to do with amount of countersteer so you can keep the revs up. Any advice on this aspect of drifting? You all have been very helpful to this point.

It does include pedals, and it's 100% compatible with a PC, the only reason they don't say so is it's a Sony liscensed product.
Works fine with PC. I have my foot on mine right at the moment. Justttttttttt treat it gently or it'll break haha
Quote from SuperSmitt :I'm probably just being a noob. I know nothing about the PS2, as I don't own one; does it have a USB port? Here is my search result for the wheel on Google:
http://www.google.com/search?h ... ro&btnG=Google+Search

Just about every link says it is PS2 only, with a couple saying it is compatible with some PC games too.

Are you sure they didn't mean the other kind of ps2?

http://www.ctips.com/ps2.html
DFP works on PC! Im playing LFS right now with it!
Quote from 5th Earth :Are you sure they didn't mean the other kind of ps2?

http://www.ctips.com/ps2.html

Yes, I'm sure it's USB. I use it for LFS. There are no racing wheels that use a PS/2 port. It's 100% PC compatible, and easy to set up. I highly reccommend it.
Quote from 96 GTS :Yes, I'm sure it's USB. I use it for LFS. There are no racing wheels that use a PS/2 port. It's 100% PC compatible, and easy to set up. I highly reccommend it.

Funny story... I realised this just after I made that post, and was about to edit it when my motherboard physically broke. One of the (non-CPU) heatsinks just spontaneously fell off. illepall

Writing this on a different comp. Ah well.
#41 - shim
hehe, ive had the orig logi DF since GT3 came out.. still werkin fine..

my personal technique is lift off.. this is where during the corner, you lift off the accel to unsettle the rear, and when pushing back on the accel it initialtes the drift.. im still fairly new at it but im startin to get half decent throttle control after a week of on and off practice..

with Drift.. if you keep f*****g up, take a min to collect your thoughts before trying again.. sometimes i sit a few mins on the side of the track while havin a smoke or just drive slowlyand let me mind wander off driftin then i get back into it..
Uhm, okay. Why did you feel compelled to bump this 470 day old thread?
maybe he just felt like typing something thats been already been gone over thousands's of times to help himself or others?
hey, it helped me find a link to lfs torque
#45 - Jakg
do you have version V?
I give it a quick steer way before the corner, pull some handbrake, and go sideways using the handbrake untill I`m about 10-15 metres before where the corner starts. Then I floor it, I don`t give it full countersteer just in case if it`s about to spin. I also pump the gas too if it`s about to spin.
Guys, about the techniques.... wanna really REALLY learn?
Watch the Best motoring's DRIFT BIBLE, made by the great Keiichi Tsuchiya.
It's the killer application guide to learn drifting in my opinion

Drift technique
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG