The online racing simulator
More LFS on ASS
(35 posts, started )
More LFS on ASS
I was rather please to see the new issue of http://www.autosimsport.net/ has an interview with an LFS racing team and race reports from a couple of leagues. Nice contributions, everyone!
Do you want to sum up what the content was to save us the bother of downloading it?
It's hardly a huge file , and it's a pretty damn good magazine....just download it
#4 - ajp71
Quote from thisnameistaken :Do you want to sum up what the content was to save us the bother of downloading it?

LFS stuff:

An interview with a Danish team that have managed to get sponsored by a newspaper, which went on for far too long. A Skoda cup race report and STCC race reports (I can't be arsed to read those).

Others (with quotes for your entertainment):

Some GTR2 mod which is

Quote :Destined to become an instant landmark in sim-racing circles

featuring...

Quote :A new menu system, an intro-movie, and full DX7, DX8 and DX9 support

Sounds like a run of the mill rF mod to me :doh:

Yet another revolutionary new simulator which will

Quote :almost literally, reinvent the wheel

It supposedly has an amazing new tire model, other reports on the forum indicate it's crap.

A couple of screens about nKs new hillclimb track/car (nothing new) and a brilliant unbiased description of nK Pro

Quote :the world's finest commercially available simulator

Quote :the hardcore sim racer's ride of choice

Quote :sublime physics and incomparable atmosphere

Quote :netKarPro remains the only 'true' simulator ever produced for commercial sale

An article on how Colin Chapman invented sim-racing with the Lotus simulator in 1964, which should have been interesting but couldn't have been presented less clearly.

6 pages of text about Batracer (have they heard of editing?)

Apart from the totally inconsistent style and exaggeration the biggest problem with ASS is that it is 120 pages long but it need be a third of that, there needn't be so much text, which is mostly waffle, if the STCC reports were put on one page I'd read them, I don't have time to read 5 pages of text about a virtual race
#5 - joen
There's pics of scantily clad girls in it too.
I did actually read some of it. Enjoyed Jon Denton's snipe at us because of their treatment at the hands of our welcoming committee last month.

@AJP: I suppose it's a fanzine and all, but yeah I'm always surprised at the fact that even with three editors they apparently get very little actual editing done.

I also wish they'd stop heaping undeserved praise upon netKar-Pro based on perceived potential and instead consider talking about what a bag of shit it is right now.
im looking through it now, and i also see how X motor racing has a correct wheel model compared to LFS's as the magazine says "ray model"

which.. i agree, this is something that needs to be fixed in LFS
(where the tires go through objects and pop out [ex: BL GP chicane ..crap.. whatever the blue and white things are called..])
#9 - ajp71
Tried that X motor racing beta and all I can say is that it is awful, I can't see any potential in it. It has a frustrating menu system, won't accept multiple controllers. Or control buttons for that matter meaning I have to drive in auto. The Boxster just understeers all the time until you touch the brake pedal at high speed at which point it just kills you. I really can't see where the physics are in this thing it's not even remotely close to a driving experience and any hope is ruined in the biggest deadzone ever.
Uh yeah, just wanted to post something similar. Tried it and... nice effort, but there's much more than the "high speed aerodynamics" needing work. It's nice that the tyres don't sink into the ground, but at the current state of physics that doesn't make any difference at all. Looks like he spent too much time implementing bling bling shaders that make the game lag (and cause a huge deadzone - try lowest GFX settings to make it not lag a second behind), rather than doing at least remotely believable physics. Touch the brake at high speed + steering wheel turned the slightest in any direction = spin, but cranking the wheel left and flooring it in first just understeers. On a RWD car. I also had to restart to get manual working, though the clutch still wasn't needed to shift. Oh and 250km/h look like 80.

(Though I found the menu to be better than nKP's )
It has just rendered itself useless before I even started it:

Quote from Installer Screen " :3. Start the game and physics tuning

The physics profile defines the unique physics model for the each car.
Make sure to select the right physics profile in the menu.

-offroad.phs, rally.phs are off-road physics models.

-drifting.phs is more for drifting.

-base.phs, muscle.phs and normal.phs are for asphalt racing.

-keybrd_control.phs is for asphalt racing with keyboard control.

Run VehiclePhysics.exe to change lots of physics parameters.

Quote from joen :There's pics of scantily clad girls in it too.

Yehaa!

Did read it through but nothing really interesting. I guess nk pro is great then. I thought I barely works but what do I know .

Liked the Massarutto's comment though :"But criticism is not flaming, and to that, we have nothing to reply other than our silence" = so far all feedback has been flaming since all the customers have got is silence. Earth shattering! In-umbelievable! Utterly devastating bloody awesome!!11
#13 - J.B.
Quote from ajp71 :

Others (with quotes for your entertainment):

Phew, that was close. I was just about to download it when you reminded me of why I stopped reading it.
Quote from bbman :It has just rendered itself useless before I even started it:

haha, that is so qute
I'm always slightly disappointed when reading ass. They could do so much with the mag, but just seem to stretch it out (althrough 5th column was slightly interesting).

As for that snide comment, I feel its not that the lfs community want to keep out outsiders (quite the oppisite in most cases), its just that with such a central place for all players to chat it can seem quite close knit, and a bit intimidating. But it really doesn't take much to realise that outsiders are very welcome, unless they're demanding stuff (IE write articals for us now!!!!) or just take the piss. Or of course if you rile up the wrong people .

fd
I regret making a skin for them... they seem to have a lot of wasted potential.
Quote from The Moose :It's hardly a huge file , and it's a pretty damn good magazine....just download it

Speak for yourself and your stinkin broadband... It is quite a very large file when you are dialup...

Quote from joen :There's pics of scantily clad girls in it too.

Screw the wife, she doesn't need to talk to her mom on the phone!!! DOWNLOADING!!!!
Quote from mrodgers :Speak for yourself and your stinkin broadband... It is quite a very large file when you are dialup...

/me slaps myself for not even considering that

I'll go sit in the corner with the dunces hat on

Quote from mrodgers :Screw the wife, she doesn't need to talk to her mom on the phone!!! DOWNLOADING!!!!

Thats the attitude
#19 - Jakg
mrodgers - for you im making some jpegs of the pages you want (and all the LFS related ones)
#20 - Jakg
It was over 16Mb unpacked

I read the bit about the Danish racing team -
But I have to say. If this was a paper magazine, I would be glad for those many pages. But reading on the computer is much tougher, so I must say as the msot of you. ASS is to big
Quote from ajp71 :An article on how Colin Chapman invented sim-racing with the Lotus simulator in 1964, which should have been interesting but couldn't have been presented less clearly.

Yeah, that looks interesting, but mention nothing about how it actually worked, or what it did. I'm still puzzled.
#23 - J.B.
Can anyone shed some light on what this "Ray Model" they mention is all about and how it relates to LFS? What is it? How do they know LFS uses it?
Quote from J.B. :Can anyone shed some light on what this "Ray Model" they mention is all about and how it relates to LFS? What is it? How do they know LFS uses it?

Drawn a quick pic of what they mean, calculating the collision for a 3D wheel model is a complete waste of resources for simulating conventional relatively flat surfaces, there are far bigger things to worry about. Would seem more logical that XMR shipped with a rock crawler rather than a sports car :doh:

Red is the point of contact of the tire, in the normal system this is assumed to be only the expected contact patch at the bottom of the tire. In the new system the entire tire is checked for contact, I sense there's a reason why it's single player only on todays hardware. Only really has any advantage when you come to a step or a rock as shown on the right (don't see too many of those lying about Aston).
Attached images
wheels.jpg
Quote from ajp71 :Drawn a quick pic of what they mean,

Not quite accurate. The circular LFS wheel looks OK, but the wheels in X-Treme-Staircase-Rider are revolutionary new hexagonal wheels with hexagonal tyres.

More LFS on ASS
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG