The online racing simulator
Paint Weighs too much!
(36 posts, started )
Paint Weighs too much!
doesnt really but i thought this looked quite cool.
Attached images
nice.jpg
#2 - Jakg
the Silver Arrows Mercedes was white, but it was 751 KG, and the entry regs said max weight was 750 KG, so they removed the paint, leaving the silver metal underneath and it weighed 750 KG

/trivia
Quote from Jakg :the Silver Arrows Mercedes was white, but it was 751 KG, and the entry regs said max weight was 750 KG, so they removed the paint, leaving the silver metal underneath and it weighed 750 KG

/trivia

That's why they don't use those magnetic stick ons'...they weigh so much and peel off at high speed.

Trivia, why is there a center board (WOOD) on the bottom of the F1's.

Does it effect the car in the rain (weight, wood absorbs water or is it sealed (treated) wood, if so, what sealant is legal?

AAnt

and yes I do know the answer
#4 - Jakg
so that the cars dont run too low, so that it shouldn't scrape the road, but if it does your in trouble (i think)

its a rule enforced by the FIA
you should remove the three circles; those decals are just added weight! Plus, the wind resistance incurred with the half milimetre depth of the decal!

:P

EDIT:
Quote :Trivia, why is there a center board (WOOD) on the bottom of the F1's.

To enforce the minimum ride height. The cars lower quite a bit at high speed, so you made have a car that is at the minimum height, but once youre in motion it lowers because of the downforce being applied to it. The plank is a way to keep track of it; when the car bottoms out it scrapes away at the plank. After a track session the planks are all measured for thickness, if your plank is too thin than your car was sitting too low when at speed and you are penalised.
Hehe
#7 - Woz
Quote from Jakg :so that the cars dont run too low, so that it shouldn't scrape the road, but if it does your in trouble (i think)

its a rule enforced by the FIA

I think the rule is something like you have to have Xmm of the wood left at the end of the race or you run too low. Came in about the time they tried to limit ground effect from what I remember.
just one more

now its finished
Attached images
ffsdd2.jpg
If the wooden plank wears by more than so much (i think 2mm) the car is deemed to be using a form of ground effect.
#10 - ste_
Compress your skin more and it should be ok
Quote from ste_ :Compress your skin more and it should be ok

you mean because the weave of the CF is too big?

i tried to make it smaller, car just looks grey
#12 - wark
Quote from AtomAnt :Trivia, why is there a center board (WOOD) on the bottom of the F1's

I don't see how that is the least bit trivial.

But I don't know about the sealant--if any--or species of wood (this would make a big difference in weight and water resistence (you would want to have the densest wood possible and take away what ballast you must, as the plank is lower than the ballast, and it would wear better (then that's only if you had a choice)))
#13 - Jakg
i did a quick render for him....
Attached images
Moo.jpg
#14 - wark
Stop the press! It's not any old wood--it's Jabroc.

Quote from Another forum :It isn't just a block of wood though. It's called Jabroc. It's made of Beech wood and built in a composite process. Veneers are layered and a high strength resin is used in each layer, then they are pressurized and pressed, and brought to a certain and very consistent material density, so each Jabroc skid plank is essentially identical in terms of wear rate and material density, mere wood would not be even close to that consistent. So it may be a wooden product in nature, but the technology and process that goes into building it is right in place with most other objects on an F1 car.

Also, about that Jabroc plank on the bottom of the F1 cars, I think they should be fastened to the car with giant titanium bolts, so they will scrape all over the place, and make some pretty sparks.

Cheers,
Matt.
#16 - wark
Quote from KanseiDneova :And, about that Jabroc plank on the bottom of the F1 cars, I think they should be fastened to the car with giant titanium bolts, so they will sprace all over the place, and make some pretty sparks.

Cheers,
Matt.

Wouldn't wear very well, would it?
Once you got thrpught the bolt heads it would, lol.

Cheers,
Matt.
Air Canada tested this back in November 2005, they removed all the paint from a Boeing 767, it removed 360lbs in weight.

But they painted it again because it cost too much to polish the aluminium and treat it to stop it corroding
The trick is to use acrylic rather than an oil based paint, it's lighter.
Quote from Jakg :i did a quick render for him....

It looks nice ingame with the CF, but as its a "quick render" that came out like sh|t.

All the panels look like they are made of planks of the stuff especiallythe wheel arches and around the lights. Hood looks nice though.

Def a better thing for ingame
Trivia:

F1 teams were/possibly still believed to use Depleated Uranium for bolts in the bottom of the cars. The material that is used for the rounds of the main cannon of the tank-hunting A10 warplane are about the densest material thinkable, thus lowering the cars' center of gravity. When almost half of the ~530(?)kg/1200lb weight is Ballast, the engineers come up with some incredible tech.

[/trivia]

I try not to think too hard about mass dampers or ferrari's clutchless transmission, they make my head hurt (mainly the former).
#22 - wark
remove the numberplates to loose a bit more weight...

by the way, why do we have numberplates do they use them in real life gtr races???
Its an easy way to figure out who is who without names on, i would guess.
Quote from KanseiDneova :Also, about that Jabroc plank on the bottom of the F1 cars, I think they should be fastened to the car with giant titanium bolts, so they will scrape all over the place, and make some pretty sparks.

Cheers,
Matt.

Isn't that one of the reasons they switched from titanium plates to the wood-type ones? To stop the sparks from flying all over the place?

Especially on your bumpier road circuits (take a look at some old Adelaide F1GP footage and you see what i mean).

Probably deemed a "fire hazard" or somethign.

Paint Weighs too much!
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG